Skip to main content

Featured

The Fear of Omnipresent Observation: ‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry

‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry On this very Friday, we whisk you away into the sublime yet shadow-laden realm of Goth Rock, where the heart of Post-Punk beats incessantly. The Silence Industry has recently set a benchmark with ‘The Crawling Eye’ that other artists will find difficult to surpass in the foreseeable future. Endowed with an impressive back catalog,  The Silence Industry approaches a topic of grave seriousness in their latest release. The track addresses omnipresent surveillance, shedding light on its profound implications as well as the personal apprehensions it evokes.   Musically, Graham Jackson creates a scene of distressing perfection, where elements of Death-Rock leave us breathless and the fear of omnipresent observation becomes palpable. Driven by a dark Post-Punk aura, Graham rises with a performance at the microphone that recalls memories of Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke). The artist not only succeeds in maintaining the tension for nearly seven minutes b

The Friday Interview: Otara


It’s Friday and we have a great new release by Otara called “A Pretty Song”. We also had the chance to ask him some things about himself, his influences and what he knows about Austria. It is worth reading it and it is really worth listening to his great new release.

Who inspired you to make music?

I had been playing guitar for around 5 years before attempting to actually make my own music. 
When I did start writing, I never really had a certain inspiration, I just listened to anything. 
However, in the early days, my compositions were heavily influenced by artists such Muse, Coldplay and Bruno Mars.

What is your creative process like?

I normally write the guitar for a song first. It's my primary instrument and it's the easiest starting point for me usually. Then I write the lyrics and melody. Although, sometimes I just record a chord progression into my laptop and add on to it from there.  My song that I'm releasing on Friday was actually made from one of those experiments.

Who would you most like to collaborate with?

I would love to collaborate with a band called Ready The Prince, they are great and highly underrated. 
They can portray emotions so easily and well in their songs and I aspire to be like them in that way.

What is the most useless talent you have?

Hmm, I don't think I have much talent anywhere else other than music. 
I plan/write stories when I have spare time but they're only for myself to read back on normally.

What is the most useful talent you have?

My most useful talent is my singing. I'm nowhere near perfect with singing but it helps add so much more emotion to my music. When I listen to music, the singer is the part of the song that will determine whether I like the song or not. I can enjoy the instrumentals but the voice could completely ruin or boost the experience for me just due to their singing style/tone. My hopes are that having improved on my vocals over the years, it will pull people in more than push them away.

If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

If I could change anything in the past, I would keep the internet and online messaging but get rid of social media. Social media brings me down and has ruined my day multiple times and I know it has done that to many others too. I think it has its good and bad moments but I am much happier without it normally.

How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

I think the internet has improved the music industry because it has allowed unknown artists to get the recognition they deserve. However, it also rises more competition in an already extremely competitive industry. 

What’s next for you?

After my first release on Friday, I will be releasing a few more songs soon. They've been made on my old laptop with free software and I have a massive upgrade in gear coming soon so these few songs will be a mark of my independence. Once I have my new gear, I'm going straight back to recording new material and making massive improvements.

What is the message you want to give to your listeners?

My main message to my listeners is that I'm here for them. I want to have a kind community and want people to be able to talk to me. If I ever get big on the internet, I still want to be seen as a normal person because that's what we all are at the end of the day. Some people hide that with fame but I don't want to be seen like that. And I hope my current and future listeners will enjoy my tunes! I want to make music that makes the listeners feel something, whether they cry to it, dance to it, find inspiration from it or whatever else, that will make me happy.

What do you know about Austria?

I don't know much about Austria! I'm from the UK and haven't really heard a lot about it but it sounds like a cool place! If I get any Austrian fans then they'll have to let me know what it's like :)


SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist