Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Saturday Interview: Brenna Erickson


Ihre letzte Veröffentlichung war zu 100% von Brenna Erickson selbst produziert und mehr als gelungen. Deswegen baten wir sie zum Interview. Nachfolgend könnt ihr lesen, was Brenna inspiriert, wie sie arbeitet und was ihr “nutzlosestes Talent” ist. Hier ist “hundertprozentig” Brenna Erickson. Danke, Brenna, für deine Zeit.

Who inspired you to make music?

I grew up in a musical family with music teachers as parents. I got my start performing in church with my mom when I was only 5 years old. When I got a little bit older, my Grandpa gave me LeAnn Rimes' first CD, 'Blue,' and I remember thinking how cool it was that she was so young like me. That is when I really started to dream big.


What is your creative process like?

I tend to gravitate toward catchy phrases or melodic hooks first, and when something new comes to me, I'll jot it down in the notes and voice memos in my phone. I do love sitting at the piano or sitting with my guitar, and writing a whole song in one sitting; those moments are magical. But for the past couple of years, I've been writing in the studio setting more often, and I'll track the demo while I write it. Since I record out of my home studio and produce my own tracks, it gives me a lot of flexibility. I can just run into the other room and open up ProTools when I get a cool idea. It is really exciting laying down other production elements that I hear in my head early on in the writing process because I can start to envision how it will come together when it's finished.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

I would love to write with Julia Michaels. I'm such a big fan of her songwriting; her lyrics are so fresh and relatable. I would just love to be in the same room during her creative process and take it all in.


What is the most useless talent you have?

After living in Florida for the past 10 years, I've learned a weirdly large amount about tropical weather systems. My friends are always joking that I should be a meteorologist in my next life. Lol!


What is the most useful talent you have?

Aside from music, I love to cook! This turned out to be VERY useful over the past year of staying home during Covid. My husband and I have had fun making date nights at home fancy and trying new recipes, but we're definitely ready to eat out again!


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

I wish I hadn't taken so long to start releasing music. I spent way too much time second-guessing myself, and I wish I had just gone for it sooner.


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

Social Media, digital streaming platforms, and even the affordability of recording technology, has made the music business so much more diverse and accessible. It is so easy now to record and release a song. On the flip side, promoting music has gotten more difficult because there are just so many talented people out there, and it is much harder to break through. But by being persistent, taking the feedback from each new song you release, and working to make the next one not only better, but more genuine to who you are, eventually people will begin to notice and growth will happen organically.


What’s next for you?

I have been releasing singles for about a year and a half, working to find and refine my sound, exploring different production techniques and pushing myself to get out of my comfort zone and grow in my musical style. Now that we're getting closer to being able to travel and perform again, I'm looking forward to releasing a debut EP hopefully this fall!


What is the message you want to give to your listeners?

Most of my music has themes about mental health. Anxiety is a big part of my daily life and it affects me in everything I do. I just want people to know that it's normal to struggle and okay to talk about it. It's okay to have bad days, to lean on those close to you, and to do the same for them when they need it. If we all just cared for each other a little more, we would all be so much happier. So I guess my message is take care of yourself and the people you love. :)


What do you know about Austria?

When I think of Austria, I think of beautiful mountains and scenery! I would love to visit! I have only been to Europe once, and it was a short visit for work, but I have a feeling a European vacation is on the horizon so maybe Austria will be on the agenda.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist