Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

The Tuesday Interview: Al Shalliker - "Silver Linings"


Ein außergewöhnlicher Singer-Songwriter, vielleicht sogar Poet, mit der Fähigkeit, zu beobachten und das Ganze in Lieder zu verpacken, oder sagen wir ganz einfach: der Künstler Al Shalliker gab uns ein Interview und wir sind stolz darauf, dass er uns einige Fragen beantwortet hat. Grund dafür war sein erstes Soloalbum “Silver Linings”, ausgestattet mit 11 Songs beziehungsweise Geschichten, die er uns erzählt. Erschienen am 26. April, würde ich es mit dem Prädikat “wertvoll” versehen. Und hier ist er im Interview: Al Shalliker, danke für deine Zeit, danke für das Interview und danke für “Silver Linings”.

Silver Linings (Link to Spotify)


Who inspired you to make music?

When I was around thirteen I found the original early ‘60s vinyl copies of ‘The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan’ and ‘The Times They Are A-Changing’ my dad had left in a draw. I used to play them constantly and was drawn to Dylan’s use of words and how he delivered them. I’m still inspired by the great songwriters today. It’s more than any one artist though. 

Music has always excited me, it’s truly immersive. I retain a vivid memory of hearing Elvis Costello’s - ‘Oliver’s Army’ at Plymouth Argyle’s football stadium here in my home town. The game hadn’t started yet and I just remember the music echoing around the terraces and feeling energised by it in a way that I had never felt before. It was 1979 and I was ten years old. Many years later I heard my own music being played at the same stadium which was a nice moment.

What is your creative process like?

For me the process of writing songs isn’t particularly spontaneous though the moment when the essence of a song arrives can help create the illusion that it is. Songwriting like any pursuit needs dedication and hard work to get good output. There are some songs that come very quickly, and those can often be the more successful creations in terms of appeal, yet it’s easy to overlook all you’ve absorbed and creatively stockpiled. The ideas that may flow out over a few hours to make a fairly complete song, you may have been working on consciously or subconsciously for years previously. While I’m writing I’m often not always aware of what I’m drawing on til after the fact but I am drawing on it nonetheless.

In terms of the process the key is of course to get a guitar in your hand and start singing, humming, mumbling or whatever it is you do. If you don’t buy a ticket and all that. My approach generally relies on a combination of lyrics, melody and a chord sequence converging to create something that is often the precursor to one of the first two verses of a song. It generally already contains some of the mood, atmosphere, concept and narrative and so when those things come quickly it can appear spontaneous but really it’s about creating the opportunity.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

I’d really like to collaborate again with the guest musicians who helped me make ‘Silver Linings’. They were all old friends who I had either performed with previously or else had watched perform, but due to the Covid-restrictions there were very limited opportunities to rehearse. The musicians never had the opportunity to sit in the same room together but we definitely ended up in a good place. I’d like the opportunity to work with those people again, I’m very grateful to all of them. In terms of musicians of international renown I’d like to work with the Indian tabla player and composer Zakir Hussain. His album ‘Making Music’ is a work of art. Maybe a violin player too, I’ve always loved the music of the late, great Stephane Grappelli.


What is the most useful talent you have?

My most useful talent is in the use of words and an attention to detail in how they are delivered. I also believe as writers and performers it’s important to stick to your own individual form of expression. I’m not easily deterred from that. My previous band Watershed once played support to the great soul singer Geno Washington. Geno had been listening side of stage and after the show he was talking about some of songs towards the end of our set that had made more of an impression on him. He said “that’s your sound and it’s got something, stick to it, nobody else can have that”. It’ was good advice. 


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

‘Silver Linings’ is my debut solo album so in retrospect I would probably have started out on solo projects earlier. I have loved playing and recording in bands and I enjoyed being part of Plymouth band Watershed for many years. I’ve so many great memories and met so many great people along the way but recording in a band environment is generally more formulaic by default. Also everyone’s vision of a song is different so with a solo project there is less compromise to be made on the initial vision you had as a writer. There was certainly a lot more freedom in terms of tempo, rhythm and mood in producing ‘Silver Linings’ which is certainly the most honest record I have ever made. 


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

I think social media has certainly helped emerging artists promote themselves independently, as have the music streaming platforms. The industry model for aspiringartists in the 1990s was very different. There are now a number of very differentchallenges for emerging artists but at least there is a platform to get your music out intothe world. I personally really like the independence that affords. 

My interactions with themusic industry have been mixed, I’ve had a lot of fun along the way but it’s great being able to make your own choices on how you present the art you’ve created without having to compromise on sincerity. I guess being a bit older and less driven by the financial rewards helps me with that though. 

I think it is fair to say the pool of talent is probably more dilute now than twenty years or thirty years ago but I think new artists probably also have a wider and more media savvyview on how they present themselves. Artists are relying less on the industry to manipulate an image for them, they’re doing it for themselves before they even have any music to release. I like that.


What can we expect from your Album?

As the album title ‘Silver Linings’ suggests there is a reference to the difficult times a great many people have had recently and also that good things can still come through adversity. The ‘Silver Lining’ for me was being able to concentrate more fully on music again but there is a lyric in the title track which is a play on an old English saying, “with every silver lining there lies a cloud” and through the pandemic that has felt very obvious. In many ways ‘Silver Linings’ feels like a summing up of all the music and writing I’ve been involved with so far. 

As a writer the moments when you realise the essence of a decent new song is with you are some of the finest. I increasingly find I want to retain as much of that as possible by creating an open and honest sound allowing people to connect more with that original sentiment.


What do you know about Austria?

I have not visited but I know Austria is a very beautiful country with a great art history. My partner Donna visited the Austrian mountains when she was young and has been trying to persuade me to visit for many years. Maybe it’s about time I did. She also enjoyed a spell working in Vienna.


Al Shalliker is....? 

I’m a Technical Stage Manager at Theatre Royal Plymouth and have travelled as far as Japan with theatre work. I’m also a keen surfer and surfed in a lot of great locations around the world but of course that has never taken me to Austria!


What’s next for you?

I certainly want to write and produce a couple more solo albums over the next few years. I found it difficult to write for a while until ‘Silver Linings’ was complete. I’ve felt like those songs were burning a hole in my pocket. Now I’ve got renewed energy for writing. I’m also looking forward to getting out and playing live again as the pandemic recedes. I’d quite like to tap into the European folk festival scene.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist