Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Artist: BlackSheepLad - "She makes me me"

 


She makes me me     Spotify

"She makes me me" ist die zweite Single von BlackSheepLad und ist quasi eine Ode an die Liebe respektive an seine Frau, Clare. Sopran- und Bassukulelen im Einklang mit Blechblasinstrumenten laden zum Mitsingen ein. Textlich vergleicht er sie mit den wunderbaren Dingen und deren Funktion die es im Leben gibt, angefangen von „einem großartigen Monopoly-Spiel“ bis hin zu „Speicherkraft von Tupperware'! So we have to say Achtung: Here comes BlackSheepLad to tell you what's love is. Thanks for the great song.

Natürlich wollten wir mehr über Phil erfahren und so haben bzw. hatten wir die Möglichkeit ihm ein paar Fragen zu stellen. Thanks for your time Phil!








The Interview

Who inspired you to make music?

I love songwriters that write lyrics that make you think - so people like Neil Finn (Crowded House), Paddy Macaloon (Prefab Sprout) and Guy Garvey (Elbow) . I suppose I aspire to make music tht does the same thing - is good to listen to and makes people think.


What or who inspired you to "She makes me me"?

She makes me me is about my wife Clare. It is essentially a love song and tries to compare how lovely she is with how great other things are at their function. So 'a great game of monopoly' or dentistry done properly' could, in their own way, be compared to how wonderful she is.


What is your creative process like?

It varies - have written a lot of songs in the last 12 months and I sometimes start with lyrics and add music but sometime I start with a chord sequence and add words later. Some songs take 15 minutes and some can take weeks (on and off). I then record stuff at home (during lockdown at least) and send it off for mastering. I play everything myself although I am starting rehearsals with a trio from today, ahead of doing some live gigs in the near future.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

Collaboration is great and I do some joint songwriting with a couple of songwriter friends. I would love to work with someone like Badly Drawn Boy or John Bramwell (both great singer-songwriters from Manchester). 


What is the most useful talent you have?

I have learnt how to repair our heating boiler when it goes off - but only for one specific problem!


...and of course your most useless talent is?

I am very good at quizzes!


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

Nothing - the past is the past and it shapes the present.


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

It's a different world - you can reach people really quickly and share your music and videos etc. On the other hand everyone is doing the same thing so it is hard to get your unique voice heard. Streaming is a mixed bag because you can reach all over the world easily but revenues are quite low. 


What do you know about Austria?

Austria is a beautiful country and I have been on holiday there a few times in the past (both summer and winter). I love the mountains and forests. Hopefully I can make it back there to do some gigs in the near future!


BlackSheepLad is...?

BlackSheepLad is a father of 4 and a fan of Ipswich Town Football Club (once great, now not so great). The name comes from the idea of maybe being an outsider and having a different perspective because of that - a black sheep is used to England to indicate difference and uniqueness so I am striving for that!


What’s next for you?

I am bringing out an EP with 5 tracks on towards the end of June so I am currently liaising with the record label on final mixes of those songs which I am very proud of. I am also beginning rehearsals with my love trio ahead of some gigs (Covid permitting) later in the year.



Artists of the Week! - The Playlist