Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

The Friday Interview: Sarah Johnsone

 


Written during the first lockdown on her kitchen floor at 4am, this debut offering, which was the third song Sarah had ever written, mirrors the current climate with its poignancy and reflective tone. It’s a heartfelt, indie track that speaks of yearning and being apart from someone, with a sound reminiscent of Laura Marling, Mazzy Star and Celeste. This was her really great debut release "Tonight", and here she is Sarah Johnsone. Thanks for the interview.



Who inspired me to make music? 

My dad has had a huge influence on the music I like, as thanks to him I grew up listening to a wide range of genres such as rock, jazz, blues and reggae. Having my eyes (or ears) opened to music like that from an early age is definitely where my interest began. I remember requesting certain albums on repeat, such as Corinne Bailey Rae’s first album and ‘In Between Dreams’ by Jack Johnson. Although they will have definitely informed my musical style, I wouldn’t say they inspired me to make music, as it was less of an idea, more of a compulsion. 


What is your creative process like?

It comes in sporadic spurts. It’s more about when I’m feeling things, rather than when it’s convenient to write/create. Usually, a line will just pop into my head, and I’ll race to my guitar and find a chord to compliment it. From there, a song can either smoothly evolve within an hour or I can be repeating the same few lines over and over for months, hoping the next one will jump out at me. 


Who would you most like to collaborate with? 

I am really inspired by Joy Crookes’ song writing, and her voice is so smooth and soulful, so I would love to collaborate with her. However, in terms of someone really different to my style, I would choose Jamie xx. He is a DJ I really admire, and his genre is one I respect a lot as it’s so far from anything I create yet I enjoy it so much. I would love to hear some of my vocals produced and mixed by him, as I feel he’s one of the most talented in his field.


What is the most useless talent you have?

I’m really good at impersonating different accents, especially UK ones, and I love to whack it out at parties when I’m drunk, but I’m yet to find a useful outlet for it! 


What is the most useful talent you have?

Aside from any musical abilities, I’d say it’s being artistic. Having a creative eye helps with music, as I can create my own album artwork ideas through drawing or on photoshop. I have also recently got into making little film clips, which I use for visuals for my covers. 


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be? 

I think I would have started writing songs earlier, and had more confidence in music ability. In my early teens, I played guitar and piano but I saw creating original music as something really difficult and unattainable. 


How do you feel the internet (especially Social Media) has impacted the music business?

It’s impact has been almost paradoxical. Thanks to social media, the music of unknown artists can be posted and heard around the world by almost anyone. This type of instant, free coverage is what brought Justin Bieber to stardom. However, so many like him have the same idea. Getting your music heard is a simpler and easier task than it was 30 years ago, therefore there’s more people being heard. It now seems it’s even harder to make a name for yourself as there’s so many more names out there. 


What’s next for you?

I want to keep making music. I’m working on a couple of songs I want to release as singles or put towards an EP. I’m starting to get into music production so I’m taking my new music in a less-acoustic direction. I am also really excited to start performing live again. 


What do you know about Austria?

I’ve heard the architecture in Vienna is lovely, and I would really like to visit it one day. 


What is the message you want to give your listeners?

I think the songs that impact me most are ones that comfort me when I’m feeling down, especially lyrics that resonate with my troubles. I hope I can comfort others in a similar way. 



Artists of the Week! - The Playlist