Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Sunday Interview: ABSCONDA

 


Durch das, leicht ins Abstrakte abdriftende, "Skipping", wurden wir auf den in Southsea beheimateten Künstler aufmerksam. Bekannt als Instrumentalist wagte er sich dieses Mal auch vor das Mikrophon. Diesen "Ausflug" kann man getrost als gelungen bezeichnen ebenso können sich seine Fähigkeiten im Bereich des Mixing oder Mastering sehen lassen. Wir wollten der Sachen, sprich seinem Talent, natürlich auf den Grund gehen und fragten beim britischen Multitalent nach. Und so wissen wir jetzt ein wenig mehr und können über Absconda und seine Einflüsse oder verborgenen Talente berichten. Thanks a lot for your time.   Absconda - Spotify



Who inspired you to make music?

I played guitar from a young age but was always interested in the interesting sounds around me. When I got a DAW for the first time being able to manipulate sounds just amazed me. I find sounds in the world around me inspiring and love to play with recordings of the natural and human made world. 


What is your creative process like?

My creative process is varied but often starts with a sound I find really interesting, either a cool synth sound or a sample of something I've recorded, musical or not, and then build a musical idea from that, even if the original sound isn't used it sparks the initial idea. 


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

Amon Tobin. he is a master of manipulation so I'd love to see how he works, although I would probably be too intimidating! I'd also love to write musicians who do completely different things to me such as Toumani Diabate or Songhoy Blues for example, to make something different.


What is the most useless talent you have?

I'm really good at knowing when a film or tv show is exactly halfway through for a snack break... so useless. 


What is the most useful talent you have?

Probably music and sound design! Most of my days are spent writing music, doing Sound Fx for video or mixing music, Not too good any much else! I like doing woodwork but couldn't say I am 'Good!' 


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

I'm not sure but it would be something recent, If science fiction has shown me anything is changing the past has terrible unforeseen outcomes! I'm a big fan of Sci Fi, I have a secret word only I know in case my future self comes back and wants to prove they are me. 


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

I think like everything in the world it has had huge impact. In negative ways of course but in very positive ways. The fact that anyone can put their music out in the world for anyone who finds it is incredible. Also I feel it has removed the linear progression of music somewhat. Now bands from the 70's are suddenly hugely popular with new audiences and influencing new generations, so music is progressing from so  many different points now which is really exciting.


What’s next for you?

Figuring out my next single! I have two tracks I am working on that I feel are next. I am now singing on my music which I've never done before, I don't know if this will remain on every single we shall see. Also I am going to plan how to perform live seen as that feels like an actual possibility now!


What do you know about Austria?

I went there as a kid to Ski once! But i don't know too much other than it had beautiful countryside and a loads of famous composers were born there! (Mozart, Haydn, Berg etc!)


Why "Absconda", is there a story behind the name?

I wanted my music to be an escape, from the world, reality, troubles.  I wanted something that felt like a personal getaway from the world and so thought about leaving, escaping, absconding. I kept the name in my head for a long time and just became the essence of what I wanted to portray in my music. 


Artists of the Week! - The Playlist