Skip to main content

Featured

The Fear of Omnipresent Observation: ‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry

‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry On this very Friday, we whisk you away into the sublime yet shadow-laden realm of Goth Rock, where the heart of Post-Punk beats incessantly. The Silence Industry has recently set a benchmark with ‘The Crawling Eye’ that other artists will find difficult to surpass in the foreseeable future. Endowed with an impressive back catalog,  The Silence Industry approaches a topic of grave seriousness in their latest release. The track addresses omnipresent surveillance, shedding light on its profound implications as well as the personal apprehensions it evokes.   Musically, Graham Jackson creates a scene of distressing perfection, where elements of Death-Rock leave us breathless and the fear of omnipresent observation becomes palpable. Driven by a dark Post-Punk aura, Graham rises with a performance at the microphone that recalls memories of Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke). The artist not only succeeds in maintaining the tension for nearly seven minutes b

The Wednesday Interview: David Christy Jones

 

"I'm entirely confident that you won't have heard anything quite like Welcome To Virology before.", yes, das können wir bestätigen. David Christy Jones, Songwriter und Multi-Instrumentalist aus West Cork, Irland, liefert mit dem Album "Welcome to Virology" eine fantastische Arbeit ab, Track für Track wird man von David Christy Jones immer wieder aufs Neue positiv überrascht. Thanks for your time and this great Album, David Christy Jones.

David Christy Jones - Spotify


BIOGRAPHY

David Christy Jones is a 27 year old songwriter and multi-instrumentalist based in West Cork, Ireland. Born in Wales to a musical family, he found himself surrounded my musicians playing from a young age. At 7 years old he relocated to Clonakilty, Ireland with his family.

Over the last year, he has focused largely on writing and recording his own music and compositions. Inspired by the blues and folk stars of old; modern contemporary rock and pop; classical music and the avante-garde - he has taken their recipes and added his own distinct flavour. His style is undoubtedly unique and fresh.

Since 2009, David has been an active and respected session drummer, bassist, guitarist and vocalist and has played with countless acts across all genres. From jazz, blues and folk to heavy metal, rap and country. He has performed in many bands over numerous genres and toured in Europe, The UK and the USA.




The Interview

Who inspired you to make music?

I suppose my parents were responsible for getting me into music, as they are both musicians too. They started me off with swing, jazz and blues and I've just kinda been exploring new sounds ever since. 
I didn't really start writing music until I started getting into folk music and Americana. Trouble is, I don't think those genres are particularly my strong suit. 
It took finding the likes of Frank Zappa to really direct me in what I wanted to do.

• What is your creative process like?

I don't have any sort of formula. It's quite a haphazard process to that end. I find myself messing around with ideas a lot and every now and then one just sticks. 
If I'm really feeling an idea then I'll add to it and add to it until some sort of a song is born!

• Who would you most like to collaborate with?

Funnily enough I think I'd have to pick David Lynch. 
His creative process has long been a real point of mystery and fascination for me and I'd just love to spend some time around the guy to see how he ticks a bit. Not to mention the fact that I love everything I've ever seen him put his hand to. 
So yeah, a music video done in collaboration with Lynch... now that's a dream.

• What is the most useful talent you have?

Being unable to identify what my most useless talent is.

• ...and of course your most useless talent is?

Being unable to identify what my most useful talent is. Naturally. I can also say the longest place name in Wales (Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch) correctly. So there is that.

• If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

I'd invest in bitcoin :P

• How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

It opens a lot of doors while simultaneously whipping the carpet from beneath you and smacking you over the head with a crowbar. There is a greater possibility than ever before to drive your music to wider audiences. The price we pay for this is an income, it would seem. With Spotify being the leading platform now, which pays the artist a staggering £0.0031 per stream, you are left to wonder if it's even a worthwhile avenue for revenue. 
I also find that with the way social media and streaming outlets recommend artists and playlists to people that you end up with a monopoly of a certain sound. The person in the executive chair really should not be the final arbiter of taste for the entire population. I feel we may greatly benefitfrom a wider range of unusual or experimental sounds in popular culture.

• What do you know about Austria?

I love Austria! I always wanted to play some gigs there. I travelled through on a big European road trip I did some years back. 
Stayed in this beautiful town called Mayrhofen and absolutely loved every minute of it.

• David Christy Jones is....?

I'm a multi-instrumentalist (drums, guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin and vocals) who likes to experiment with new sounds and music. 
I really adore Maxwell House coffee and my favourite artists are Frank Zappa and Primus. 
I like long walks on the beach and being fed tiramisu with a long spoon. 
For real though, if you enjoy listening to unusual music that sounds nothing like the stuff you may be used to then I definitely implore you to give my music a listen. You may find something you've never heard before :)

• What can we expect from your debut Album "Welcome to Virology"

Welcome To Virology is my rather eccentric debut album. I composed and recorded the album between March 2020 and January 2021, Welcome To Virology explores various themes surrounding the Covid 19 pandemic. 
From anger and resentment to loneliness and isolation; I tried my best to make Welcome To Virology an honest response to the issues that currently face every single one of us. 
As I said before, I'm entirely confident that you won't have heard anything quite like Welcome To Virology before.


SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist