Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Interview: Reuben Koops

 


After a three year hiatus and a recent single in late 2020 ‘Like the Movies’, Reuben Koops was back with another new single Oblivious. Sonically a step up from Like The Movies, Oblivious is a new direction for the Australian singer/songwriter; a move he has been planning for some time. We guess it is the right direction and we were lucky to have had the chance to ask him some questions. Thanks for your time!!


Who inspired you to make music?

I'd say my biggest inspiration would have to be my Dad. He encouraged me from a young age to start writing, not just playing, on my instrument. He always had time to listen to my (very poor) songs from about 12 years old and was always helping me improve.


What is your creative process like?

My creative process is very varied actually! Sometimes I'll get an idea driving my car, pull over and record it. Sometimes I'll work on some chords for weeks before adding anything else. Sometimes I'll have a riff or a hook that will stay as just a melody before any lyrics are added for quite some time. I try to just go with it.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

This is a tough question, but I'd love to be in a room with Benny Blanco. He has a real knack for writing pop melodies and arrangements which I'd love see in action and he seems like a fun guy to hang with!


What is the most useful talent you have?

Most useful talent would have to be reverse parking. Pretty proud of my skills there.


...and your most useless talent?

I can juggle?...


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

The early passings of some of our musical icons of the past.


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

It's had a huge impact - good and bad, but it's definitely part of being a musician now. If you want to make and share music with people, you have to be present on multiple platforms.


What do you know about Austria?

I know it looks beautiful but have never been there myself. Hopefully the state of the world settles soon and travel can start to resume!


Reuben Koops is....?

A singer and songwriter from a small island off the coast of Australia who loves art, culture and sharing stories through music.


What’s next for you?

More music! I'm working on a new song at the moment that will hopefully start to come together in the studio in the coming months.



Artists of the Week! - The Playlist