Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Artist: Anindya Mukherjee - "Paper boats"

 


Anindya Mukherjee

Anindya Mukherjee is a singer, songwriter, pianist, arranger and producer based in Kolkata, India. He is heavily influenced by the big ones as Paul Mccartney, Billy Joel, Sara Bareilles or Peter Cincotti. He writes songs with lyrics based on things that are personally important to him and which come directly from the heart.

facebook



Paper boats

"Paper boats" beginnt klassisch, und wie es sich für eine Ballade gehört, mit einer eingängigen Melodie am Piano. Die Harmonien überzeugen, das Arrangement lässt den Song "leben", soll heissen ist nicht überladen im Stile einer "Wall of Sound", er hat Zeit zum Atmen. Die Begleitung eher im Hintergrund, gerade so viel um unterstützend zu wirken bzw. zu klingen. Erinnert mich hin und wieder an einen perfekt arrangierten Musicalsong. Einfach mal die Augen schließen und sich von Anindya Mukherjee leiten lassen. Zur Ruhe kommen und über die vergangene Zeit nachdenken. Das ist "Paper boats" von Anindya Mukherjee. 

Und wer jetzt ein wenig neugierig auf den Künstler geworden ist und mehr erfahren möchte hat auch die Möglichkeit unser kurzes Interview mit ihm zu lesen. Thanks for your time!



The Interview


Who inspired you to make music in general?

It was summer in Kolkata, India, 1985 and I was a curious 12 year old with little musical interest. It was curiosity that got me to pop in the  "Live Aid" VHS tape. It was my awakening into rock n roll! And introduced me to great singer-songwriters like Phil Collins, Sting, and Elton John. This was my first introduction to live music and inspired me to pursue this interest.


...and especially to "Paper boats"?

During the lockdown I spent a lot of time at home with my children. Being with them also made me think about my childhood and how we drift in our life's journey...so thats what got me to write about Paper boats.


What is your creative process like?

Almost always it starts with a riff / pattern on piano. Once I like a pattern I start mumbling some nonsensical vocals along with it. Sometimes a melody develops almost immediately, and sometimes it can take weeks. If I can remember the melody when I wake up the next morning, I know I am onto something. Once I have a memorable melody, lyrics happen quite quickly. I often play around with several versions of the song before I finalize on the melody, piano and lyrics. And then I develop the arrangements around that central piano and vocal.


What is the most useful talent you have?

I play the piano and I sing. I think what is most useful is that I can quickly find a melody and lyrics to suit my piano playing and vocal style.


..and the most useless talent?

I think talents by definition are useful in some way or form. I am useless at playing the guitar, which is an essential arrangement tool for my genre. I think if I focus on that my songwriting may improve.  


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

I had the opportunity to actually learn the piano, both in school and in college. I wish I had taken the formal training. I think it would help in ideation and also while playing with other musicians. 


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

the internet (and digital in general) has greatly enhanced production, distribution and marketing. However, it has also resulted in a massive amount of content being released every day, creating oversupply. I think an artist still has to pay his / her dues and write and perform regularly to build a career;  and the Internet makes it easier for listeners to experience and connect to an artists work. 


Anindya Mukherjee is...?

The pandemic has allowed me to focus on what is important for personal well being, which includes exercise and of course, music. Along with my day job as a CEO, I am committed to writing songs on matters that are important to me, personally, and i hope they will gel with others too.


What’s next for you?

My target is to have at least 10 songs on Spotify by year end, and then, once the live music scene opens again, to start performing them!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist