Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Artist: Away from the Earth - "watercolors"

 



watercolors

"This song is intended to be a breath of positive energy that came together after a streak of only writing negative or more introspective songs for a few months" - Away from the Earth -. 
Und unter diesem Motto ist der Song auch aufgebaut. Positive Melodien werden mit coolen Beats kombiniert und sorgen für Spannung. Die Auswahl der Sounds ist gut gewählt, sowie auch das Arrangement zu überzeugen weiß.  Speziell die Übergänge der Drums sind abwechslungsreich gestaltet und sorgen für einen positiven Effekt bezüglich Progession. Produziert wurde das Ganze in Kyle's Bedroom, einzig und allein von ihm selbst. Da ziehen wir den Hut, ein gut gemachter cineastischer "chillout-track", würde ich sagen, der vor allem neugierig macht, neugierig auf "Away from the Earth".
So we have to say Achtung: Here comes a perfect Chillout track, lay back, enjoy and recharge your energy!!!


Des Weiteren hatten wir auch die Möglichkeit den Künstler der hinter diesem Projekt steckt ein paar Fragen zu stellen, nachfolgend das interessante Interview mit "Away from Earth", Thanks for your time!
facebook     twitter     bandcamp     instagram


The Interview


Who inspired you to make music in general?

The people who inspired me most to make music were my family. My sister plays guitar and all of my mom's side of the family also play, so they all encouraged me to make music from a young age!

...and especially to "watercolors"?

Watercolors specifically was me trying to break my own writer's block! I took an alternate approach to starting a song, and I used a drum loop to inspire this one! It came together quite quickly after I got the initial idea started, and I think it came out really well!

"watercolors" sounds amazing, how long do you normally work on a sound design, when do you say "that's it!, it's perfect now"? 

Sound design is usually the thing I spend the most time on. Usually, I get the part ideas and melodies together fairly quickly and then it takes a few more hours to do the sound design and mixing. As far as finishing it, I usually just get to a point where I run out of things to tweak, or it starts sounding worse, and I just call it "it's done here!"

What is your creative process like?

My creative process usually starts with a melody or sound that I find particularly inspiring and then I base the song around that. From there, I sketch out a map of where my brain initially wants to take the song- at least structure wise. After that I work on fleshing out each section and I'll usually try and take parts from each section and overlap them to give the track a sense of cohesion. 

What is the most useful talent you have?

The most useful one I have developed is social media advertising. It's been immensely helpful for me in developing my fanbase and reaching more people with my music.

...and the most useless talent?

The most useless one is definitely video games. I played a lot of shooters in high school and was literally playing semi-professionally, but I didn't end up pursuing it as a job so it's mostly just a party trick now, haha!

How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

I think social media specifically has been the great leveler for the music industry! It's given a lot of people in the business (myself included) opportunities way outside of the ones available in their area. I do think this has led to a bit of oversaturation, but I think the benefits far outway the costs. I know in the Memphis scene it's given a lot of artists a national platform that they didn't have before social media!

"Away from the earth" is...?

Away From The Earth is a one-man instrumental project based in Memphis, TN. I (Kyle) started it in 2019 because I was sitting on a ton of music and I just wanted to start releasing it. Since then, it's become a place for me to drop the music I work on outside of my production work for other people.

What’s next for you?

The next thing for Away From The Earth is experimentation! Instead of working on albums, I'm gonna take a break from bigger projects and focus on releasing singles every few weeks for a while and try to grow my fanbase. 

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist