Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Artist: Everything But The Everything - "Denials (ft. Tobias Hawkins)"

Photo credits: C. Zamora

Everything But The Everything

Everything But The Everything thing is a project where I write the music, handle the arrangements and seek collaborations from fellow musicians to expand our sound. It hasn't been easy, certainly frustration and self doubt has crept in at times but with hard work and perseverance, the music is starting to come together the way I had hoped. I never once thought I would spearhead a project in this manner since I always pictured myself playing bass guitar and only bass guitar. 

The name Everything But The Everything came about when at some point in my early 20's, while deep into a house music phase in my life. I was thinking about the band Everything But The Girl and how their music was my introduction to that type of production(Naked Music, Om Records) and the name Everything But The Everything popped into my head. I then stored the name into a memory bank of "if I ever do a music project, I will use this name." 

I borrowing a lot from what I learned from the house music producers whose records I purchased as an aspiring dj. What I noticed was that those house music producers released a single or two a month(usually on different labels) and every year or so, they would release an album. Every release was partnered with artwork which resulted in incredibly memorable record covers. Their terrific branding and stream of music singles kept their names fresh on our minds. When I decided to make the leap into songwriting, I knew I would want to emulate a rock n roll version of that. (-Izzy-)



Denials (ft. Tobias Hawkins)

The Line up: Vocals: Tobias Hawkins,  Keys: Andrew Gomez,  Drums: Landon Cisneros,  Guitar, Bass Guitar: Izzy The Gent,  Producer: Rex Sherlverton. Influenced by Billy Idol, The Cure, Interpol or ZZ Top und heraus kommt ein Track der nur so vor Energie sprüht. Alternative Rock meets Post-punk und entfaltet das Potential eines jeden einzelnen involvierten Musikers, sei es die Bassline die den gesamten Track zusammen mit den Drums vor sich hintreibt oder das Arrangement der Synths das dem gesamten Song Flair, Charme und Atmosphere verleiht. Und über all dem noch die perfekten Vocals von Tobias Hawkins, die nochmals für diesen extra Touch sorgen. Eine großartige Mischung, als ob The Cure auf Nirvana treffen würde. So we have to say Achtung: raw energy post-punk meets alternative rock and sounds like heaven. 



The Interview


Who inspired you to make music in general?
...and especially to the song "Denials"?

The movie La Bamba was my inspiration to become a musician. I don't know why it captured my imagination in such a way that soon after watching the movie, I was asking my friends at middle school if they wanted to start a band. 50's music is so good. All the songs featured in La Bamba are so good. The way they filmed the concert scenes with the other musicians hanging out backstage or in the wings of the stage looking on, was so well executed. The story, the dream of a young man writing heartfelt songs and taking them to such heights is truly inspirational.

When writing songs, I find that I really enjoy the process of crafting a song, which feels like I'm figuring out a puzzle. Every song is a rabbit hole, with challenges and setbacks. Denials was no different. Andrew Gomez(NRVS LVRS) contributed the dark moody synth that set the tone for the track and we stayed in that lane. 


"Denials" has this special sound atmosphere, how did you create it?

You'll have to talk to Andrew about that. When someone says the word "synth" I picture a keyboard with buttons and a power cord. His studio is packed with keyboards. It's like a Guitar Center in there. The synth line in the chorus gives the song a modern feel. The thick pads come off like a sub bass that bubbles underneath, giving the song an incredibly dense dark vibe. The vocoder synth loop that plays throughout is something else. My mind is still trying to comprehend how Andrew came up with that part. 


Tobias Hawkins' vocals sounds great, could we expect more songs with him on the mic?

Oh yeah. This is the fifth song we record and I consider Tobias to be a key player of the sound we are chasing. One of the best quotes I've heard Tobias say to date  was in regards to when the studio engineer asked him how he wanted his vocal. Tobias said "I want it clear, and I want to hear emotion."


When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

When a song checks everybox. When there's no more layers to add. I'll sit on a song for a minute and listen to it, over and over, in different moods, on different sound systems. If it feels right, then we'll move on to the release.


What is your creative process like?

It all starts on bass guitar. We will write the song out on bass with the bridge, choruses, completely mapped out then add layers from there. I have been sending out this bassline structured demo to other musicians for collaborations to see if their ideas take us in a new direction. That has been a new fun and exciting change of pace. Once the song gets molded to a certain point, a shortlist of vocalists is made to contact about the possibility of joining our project.


If you would have the chance to create a "Supergroup", who would be the members?

Easy, I'm staying underground with this one. I would be calling in the anghellic voice and the other half of NRVS LVRS, Bevin Gomez. Just hear her sing on their last Cult Lite EP and  I'm sure you'll agree. On lead guitar it's Jerry Cherry from Brookly NY. I follow his guitar tutorials on Youtube and I know he could deliver whatever guitar work the track needed. Keyboards? I got Andrew Gomez on keys already, I'm good and I already got my "wishful wish" drummer on board in Landon Cisneros. Anyone who hears Landon's drumming in Spirit Mother will surely fall in love with his hard hitting style. I realize this comes off as "really, you wouldn't want Dave Grohl, or Bowie?" but they have written their stories. We are trying to write ours.


What is the most useful talent you have?

Rhythm. I've been told I have natural rhythm. 


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

I like the impact that social media platforms have on the music industry. The only thing I may dislike is juggling several accounts on different sites. I truly love that artists can distribute their own work directly to their fans and the engagement with those who appreciate your craft is probably the most rewarding. When someone you've never met, from a city you've never visited, reaches out to you... it's just a great feeling. Thank you social media.


What’s next for you?

More music, more collaborations. To just keep pushing forward.


Artists of the Week! - The Playlist