Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Artist: Ger - "Love Tattoo"

 

Ger

Gerard O’Hanlon or Professional known as “Ger”, Is a 22 year old singer/songwriter from Cork, Ireland. GER began his music career from a young age and started to build a small following on social media platforms while entering singing competitions and attending both music and voice lessons through his teenage years. He decided to further his music career by attending the University of Limerick to study music in 2017 and in 2019 moved to the noted music college BIMM in Dublin. GER has been highly influenced by many singers including Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Whitney Houston. In 2018 he gained the online attention of British singer Jessie J for his vocal ability and his 6 octave vocal range. 

GER currently has 5 Top 10 Hits on the Irish iTunes Charts. Including 2 No.1s for both “To Be With Him” and “Suffocating” on the Top  100 singles and Top 100 Pop singles and a No.1 on the Top 100 Alternative singles with his latest single “When Ash Turns into Diamonds” Released on January 1st 2021. Ger was awarded Corks “Best New Artist of 2020” in February of 2021.

facebook     instagram     tiktok


Love Tattoo

I’ll be honest. I recorded the idea for this song at 4am, drunk, in a bathroom at a party with my friends.”  This summer sees him release luminous summer pop single, “Love Tattoo”, and it’s the fusion of forthright personality and unabashed fun on offer which makes this track feel special. 

About the song, Ger says it came from a desire to write a love song – but one which would resonate with where he’s at, and where he wants to be. “I’m not gonna write a sad love song. That’s not me,” he says.  About the lyrics, he goes on to say, “It’s about when you meet someone you can’t get out of your head.  When it’s a practically physical feeling, and you can’t remove them from you. Like a tattoo.

So we have to say Achtung: Here comes the summer, here comes Ger with "Love Tattoo", feel the vibes, live the summer!!!



The Interview

Who inspired you to make music?

I always loved singing music from a young age but when I was 13 , I heard Mariah Carey’s “Vision of Love” and I told myself I want to do this for the rest of my life. Her vocals and songwriting just captured me from the first moment. 

What or who inspired you to "Love Tattoo"?

“Love Tattoo” was one of those songs I wrote when I needed to feel good about something I wasn’t sure how to feel about.  I had met this person and I didn’t know if they even liked me the way I liked them so I created what I wanted to feel in that moment. I wrote it when I was drunk at a party and recorded a little voice note in my phone ( which sounded dreadful after a few shots ) and then the songs developed overtime into this. 

What is your creative process like?

I can’t usually force creativity. I have to be inspired by something I can relate to and know. It makes it real snd honest , which I believe is so important in songwriting. Writing lyrics is so important to me. It helps me deal with feelings I don’t understand. Melodies come naturally to me but writing down how you feel is both terrifying but therapeutic. 

Who would you most like to collaborate with?

I will say this til the day I die ...Mariah Carey is my dream collaboration ! I’ve learned so much from her. Her music helped me through so much and it would be an honour to write and sing with my idol. I think I would pass out if I met her ..no joke. She is everything . She is the moment. The queen diva. We Stan her. 

If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

I wouldn’t change any of my past. I feel my mistakes and successes have shaped me into the person I am today. As humans we can’t keep living in the past or you’ll never move forward, which I what I do 

Ger is...?

Ger is random. You honestly never know what’s going to come out of my mouth or what I say and do but I am 100% open and honest about everything. I believe being open about oneself and being real is one of the hardest things to do. The ability to be vulnerable but strong is a rare thing to do and I feel over time I have learned how to do this. 

How would you describe the irish music scene?

I personally love the Irish music scene. There are some extremely talented artists emerging in the past few years like Aine Carroll, Lea Heart , Cian Ducrot etc. I love that we are finally seeing a more diversity in it too. As an LGBT artist, I felt at a slight disadvantage. But every day we are changing music. It’s amazing to see and we are seeing a totally different type of music emerge too. The Era of “ the typical pop star” is slowly starting to fade snd new talents are arriving and I’m so here for it ! 

What’s next for you?

I just can’t wait to get a tour going. I’d hopefully like the make a name for myself as the Irish Ariana Grande maybe ! Vocals are my thing and I work so hard on them and my songwriting so hopefully I will see my name in the charts with these big artists in the next few years ! 

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist