Skip to main content

Featured

The Fear of Omnipresent Observation: ‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry

‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry On this very Friday, we whisk you away into the sublime yet shadow-laden realm of Goth Rock, where the heart of Post-Punk beats incessantly. The Silence Industry has recently set a benchmark with ‘The Crawling Eye’ that other artists will find difficult to surpass in the foreseeable future. Endowed with an impressive back catalog,  The Silence Industry approaches a topic of grave seriousness in their latest release. The track addresses omnipresent surveillance, shedding light on its profound implications as well as the personal apprehensions it evokes.   Musically, Graham Jackson creates a scene of distressing perfection, where elements of Death-Rock leave us breathless and the fear of omnipresent observation becomes palpable. Driven by a dark Post-Punk aura, Graham rises with a performance at the microphone that recalls memories of Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke). The artist not only succeeds in maintaining the tension for nearly seven minutes b

The Interview: Emily Parish

 


The Interview


Who inspires you to make music?

I make music for myself before anyone else. It’s a form of expression and emotional release that I don’t find in any other art or activity. This usually means that I make really personal music that is expressive of how I’m feeling at the time, so I suppose I am inspired by the people around me and how we connect.
In terms of other artists influencing my music, some artists that I have loved and really listened to improve on my writing and in production are: iiola, Mahalia, ELIZA, Billie Marten and Raveena to just name a few. 
I’ve really noticed a significant shift in how many more female artists I listen to now since I properly began song writing and this is something that I think has helped me to become a more confident female musician and creator.

What or who inspired you to "Complacent"?

"Complacent" is a song about feeling a little lost in the pressure to always be moving forward and feeling like today is your "best day". It's a mixture of being a reminder to myself to not give up on becoming a musician and fulfilling my other dreams, while also signifying that I can and need to take it slow sometimes. 
It’s a simultaneous green light to really get going and take myself seriously as an artist, but also remember to enjoy the experiences I have so far and remember that lots of other things in life can get in the way. Nothing ever goes quite to plan.


What is your creative process like?

This really varies! Some days I can write a song really quickly and feel really creative and then other songs taken me months. I think it’s important to capitalise on when you feel creative and use that time to get as much of a song down as possible, no matter how it turns out.
If I am struggling, I try to brainstorm themes, words and phrases that I want the song to include, or find a chord progression that I like, and go from there. I think it’s also important to take inspiration and really listen to artist that you like.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

Wow this is such a difficult question! Off the top of my head, I would love to collaborate with artists that I love and create music similar to my own, but also artists that would challenge me to create something new. I would have to say Lorde. I love Lorde.


What is the most useful talent/useless talent you have?

Well I guess singing is both useful and useless! Other than that, I can whistle, but not even that well haha..


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

I think the obvious answer is to change past relationships, however I like who I am now, and I wouldn’t be that way without heartbreak. Other than that, I wish I took more time to appreciate each day for what is was and this is something I’m trying to do going forward.


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

Like everyone in our generation, social media has completed changed and shaped our lives. I definitely have body images issues and wish that I could be travelling constantly, but this not that new to me. In the music industry, I feel like it’s an added pressure to engage with fans – which can be fun and uplifting, but when you don’t constantly conform to the algorithms or get a good response on a post, then is can really impact your mood.
We are musicians and being labelled ‘creators’ for social media is not a good thing. It has so much impact over who is discovered and ‘who makes it’ and this can be really degrading at times – but you always find yourself wanting to be wanted.

Emily Parish is .... ?

Other than music, I’m passionate about environmentalism and climate change, as well as eating great food. I moved to London last year and I’m looking forward to finding some great music spots in the city and discovering this new chapter of my life here.

What’s next?

I’m currently working on some new music for an EP and I’m looking to collaborate with some great artists for new releases. Other than that, I’m hoping to find time to perform in London and find out what this city has for musicians!

SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist