Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

Q&A with Point Lobo

On August 11 He was releasing a 6-song EP, a blend of psychedelic synth funk, lo-fi pop, and post-punk that will wash over you with a cinematic wave of neon beats. From the care-free groove of “Low Flame,” to the dreamy pop of Helen’s Song, to the driving synths on Kita City, He's hoping this EP will keep you glued to your seat like a movie and then pull you right back up to dance. This were his comments to his latest release and it was definitely a great one. Last week Miles was our "Artist of the week", now we are proud to present him in an interview. Thanks for your time!

Point Lobo   facebook   twitter   spotify   soundcloud   

bandcamp   youtube   instagram   tiktok


Q&A

Point Lobo is...? 

Being active in Los Angeles’ diverse music scene for many years, I have one foot in the world of funk/soul/hip hop and another i n the world of indie rock. I compose music for film & tv and I’ve recently taught myself 3D animation to create videos for my songs. So all of these influences come together naturally in my head. I like to think of my music as a funky synthpop/post-punk soundtrack to a strange dream you had after a late night anime binge.


Who inspired you to make music in general and especially to the song "Tacoma Narrows"?

Definitely my parents. My dad played the saxophone and mom was an avid music fan, so it was around me from the beginning. As a kid I used to dig through my mom and dad’s record collection and listen to albums everything from bebop to classic rock to soul. I started off writing songs in my bedroom in high school, recording them on a 4-track machine and playing in a garage band with my best buddies. Eventually I studied music and became a professional musician but that’s where my love of music started.

The song Tacoma Narrows was inspired by two things. The first is the obvious: the archival footage of the actual Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse in 1940. The first time I saw it on YouTube I was struck by how surreal and frightening it looked, but also fascinated by its rhythmic nature. The second inspiration were the real events in my personal life, such as traumatic break-ups or losing a loved one. There are moments in your life that begin small but suddenly turn your world upside-down, in much the same way the bridge collapse was caused by mere wind, but amplified to disaster by the resonance of the bridge.


When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

I think that’s one of the most important things for an artist--learning when something is “done.” It’s something I’ve struggled with, and it’s made even worse if you’re a perfectionist. I think through experience you learn there is a kind of “sweet spot,” where working on the song any more will result in diminishing returns. Probably the best way I’ve found to find the sweet spot is to take a break from listening to the song for a few days and come back with fresh ears. If you don’t hear anything terrible then take a deep breath and call it done!


What is your creative process like?

It’s different for every song, but lately I’ve been finding a lot of inspiration from media outside of music. I’ve been watching a lot of process videos by painters, illustrators, filmmakers, and even manga artists, and seeing how they work and think about creativity has inspired me.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

Working with Hiatus Kaiyote would be absolutely incredible, I think they are one of the most talented and visionary bands out there right now. It would also be a dream to collaborate with Flying Lotus. I’ve been a fan of his ever since first album (1983) and I feel like we have a similar appreciation for the intersection of music and animation.


What is the most useful talent you have?

Probably my curiosity. I’ve been extremely curious ever since I was a little kid, and it’s allowed me to dive deep into interesting subjects and continue learning new skills to this day.


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

To be honest, a lot of my own unhealthy mental patterns have revolved around thinking about things in the past that I regret or would l ike to have changed. I’ve come to realize that pretty much nothing good or healthy comes from t hat line of thinking, and it’s better to spend your energy being grateful for what you have in the current moment.


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

I’m sure you could write multi-volume books on the millions of ways social media has impacted the music industry. But the thing that first comes to mind, from the point of view of a music fan, is the idea of mystery. I remember long before social media was a thing, the bands that seemed the coolest were the ones who didn’t over-share and who kept an air of mystery about them. Now we have instant access to artists’ every thought and what they had for breakfast. Whether that’s a good or bad thing I’m not sure.


What’s next for you?

I’m currently finishing up some music videos and animations that have been in the works for some time now. I’m also involved in engineering, producing, and collaborating on various projects with other artists. I’m pretty excited about some upcoming projects with comedian Josh Johnson, whose recently released mixtape I worked on, and who is collaborating with some really exciting artists on his next music/comedy hybrid releases.


Artists of the Week! - The Playlist