Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Artist: Abi Mia - "Good Intentions"

 


Abi Mia

launched onto the independent music scene with her debut single ‘Fly Your Way’ in October 2020. Since then, Abi Mia has continued to release multiple singles, including her most successful tracks 'Make Myself Tall', ‘Checking In’ and her latest dance remix of her previous single ‘This Life’. 
All of which have had a hugely positive reception from her rapidly growing fan base and lots of enthusiastic media coverage and radio plays. 
She is back again to continue celebrating the summer with her latest release, an upbeat, catchy, pop/neo-soul track ‘Good Intentions’, which is available on all music platforms - released July 23rd – and is poised to continue the amazing momentum built so far through her previous popular singles.
facebook     spotify     soundcloud     youtube     instagram

Good Intentions

Freundschaften und Beziehungen zu lösen, zu beenden, hinter sich zu lassen, in denen du nicht geschätzt oder respektiert wirst, wurde als Thema gewählt. ‘Good intentions are not enough’, um sich die Enttäuschung des Wartens zu ersparen, wie die Künstlerin sagt bzw. singt. Musikalisch bewegen wir uns hier in Richtung Pop, leicht soulig angehaucht, oder auch im Genre des Neo-Souls. Die Einleitung ist gut gewählt, Abi begleitet vom Sound des Pianos/Klaviers zeigt hier von Beginn an was sie kann, wo sie hin will. Die Vocals im Zeichen der Emotionen. Der fein strukturierte, fast zerbrechlich wirkende Rhythmus sorgt für genügend Drive und hält sich vornehm zurück. Beim Refrain angekommen, geht alles eine Etage höher sprich nimmt Fahrt auf, man wartet wie bei einem Gewitter, man hört bereits den Donner aber es regnet noch nicht. Das musikalische Arrangement besitzt eine perfekte Progression, welche zum Ende hin seinen Höhepunkt findet. Es werden alle Trümpfe ausgespielt, wobei natürlich Abi Mias Gesang besonders hervorzuheben ist, das Trumpfass sozusagen.




Q&A

Abi Mia is...?

 ...a pop singer-songwriter from London. She launched onto the independent music scene in October 2020 with her debut single 'Fly Your Way' and has since released several well received singles from her fast growing fan base.  Within the music industry, Abi Mia is inspired by ‘powerful vocalists and artists who are authentically themselves and use their music to make genuine connections with their audience.’ This includes Demi Lovato, Alicia Keys, Kelly Clarkson, Christina Aguilera Sara Bareilles and BTS to name a few.
In terms of style, as well as taking influence from these established artists, Abi Mia has developed her own unique songwriting and performance style. You’ll find that she has a confident, powerful and emotion-filled voice with elements of soul. Additionally, she often performs while accompanying herself on piano, something which sets her apart from some artists within the same genre. 

Who inspired you to make music? 

Initially it was my piano teacher Barry who inspired me to write my first song after he shared some of his original songs with me. I was in awe that he had created these wonderful songs from scratch and I wanted to do the same! Another inspiration has to be Kelly Clarkson who really motivates me to write from the heart, to be authentic and not to be afraid of powerful vocals!

What or who inspired you to "Good Intentions"? 

I was inspired to write 'Good Intentions' after a particular person in my life kept on not showing up and not putting any effort into the relationship. After one of these moments I realised I didn't need to stand for that. If this person didn't find me important enough to make an effort and respect my time then I had the power to walk away and move on! It was an empowering moment and I realized that not every relationship or friendship needs to last forever. Sometimes you stay friends out of habit because of past experiences. We need to know that it is ok to move on and walk away from someone or something that is not giving you as much as you are giving it! Writing this song really uplifted me and reaffirmed that I was doing the right thing by walking away. Good intentions are not enough, actions matter! 

When do you say or decide that a song is ready for a release? 

Getting a song to the point that it is ready for release is a fun process which differs from project to project. Sometimes I have a very clear vision of how I want the song to sound and the direction to take it in. This makes it a lot easier for me to collaborate with my producer and therefore doesn't take too long. Each song has a different number of layers to record, harmonies, instruments etc... so it depends how complex the track is.  Once the vocals and production is complete there is usually a little more back and forth with the producer to fine tune parts to make sure it sounds as good as it can! I usually just know it is ready when I get the draft back, I usually end up jumping up and down in excitement!  It has taken between 2 weeks and a couple of months for me so far to complete a project but for me I prefer to take a little more time to pay attention to detail so the quality is as best as it can be rather than rushing just because I want to release something! 

What is your creative process like? 

My creative process is very eclectic, spontaneous and fun! I don't really have a regular process, it may depend on whether I have some random inspiration or if I have scheduled a specific songwriting session. I usually have a general concept that I want to write about and then from there I write in many ways! Sometimes the lyrics come first, sometimes the chord patterns, other times it can be the piano intro or the melody! I do sometimes schedule a writing session where I might try and write a certain style of song so I would usually turn on the metronome to the tempo I would like to write in and let that lead the session. I am always near my keyboard though as this is definitely the base from which I write! I have found that the song ideas that pop into my head at any time are usually the songs that almost write themselves and flow best but I do like to explore different ways so I can develop my skills and challenge myself. 

What is the most useful talent you have? 

This is a great question, really got me thinking! I think my most useful talent - which flourished more recently - is that I really enjoy connecting with new people and I feel I am pretty good at networking and getting to know people, especially on social media. I am genuinely interested in learning about people, so many talented and interesting people to be motivated and inspired by and this has definitely helped me kickstart my music career from nothing! Now that things are opening up (and will hopefully stay open) I am looking forward to putting these skills to the test face to face! 

Who would you most like to collaborate with? 

There are so many amazing artists that I would love to collaborate with but if I had to pick one it would be Demi Lovato - why not aim high! Demi has been such a huge inspiration to me both in terms of their music but also in terms of their authenticity and fearlessness of being authentic and writing and sharing music from personal experiences and emotions that really come from the heart. This is something I try very hard to carry over to my own music. I will keep working hard and you never know what the future may hold! 

If you could change anything in the past, what would it be? 

To be honest one of the main things I try to live my life by is not to regret what has happened in the past and not to focus on what you would have wanted to do differently.  The past is the past and nothing can change that!  Just make the most of being in the present, utilise what you have been given, learn from any past mistakes and build toward the best future you can. I try not to think about the past or how to change it because you can't and I believe every experience and every choice I have made in the past makes up who I am now and I wouldn't want to change that! 

How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business? 

I think it has made music more accessible than ever (easier to build a foreign fan base) and also made it easier for artists to be independent and to get their own music out there using social media and online distribution platforms. For me I didn't know the music industry before the rise of social media as I only started during the pandemic so for me it has been invaluable in starting my music career, helping me network with amazing music professionals to get my music produced and out there for people to hear! 

What’s next for you? 

There is so much I am working on at the moment to build the momentum with my music career. I have new tracks that are in the process of being worked on for release in the near-ish future, which I am so excited about! I am also focusing a lot of my energy on being able to perform live as much as possible. I hope that a UK TOUR is not too far off but in reality I know the live music scene is just opening up so we shall see how things go! That is definitely a goal of mine together with releasing more fantastic tracks that I hope you will all enjoy! 

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist