Skip to main content

Featured

Nostalgic Authenticity: “Big Time” by Rogue FX and Mayah Camara

“Big Time” by Rogue FX and Mayah Camara Today, we’re opening the gates to our blog in classic style – classic '80s synth-pop, to be precise. Whenever the words ‘80s’ and ‘synth-pop’ are mentioned, Rogue FX is never far behind. Drawn to the essence of that decade, he dives deep to retrieve a flawless pearl and then showcases it in his musical shop window.  His latest track is called “Big Time,” a collaborative project with Retrowave/Nu-Soul artist Mayah Camara . The story revolves around a relationship at a crossroads, caused by the success and fame of one partner who has reached the “big time” mentioned in the title. Jealousy and insecurity take hold, but there’s a shared hope that the relationship can survive and grow.  Rogue FX cleverly packages this story in the big-city vibe of the '80s, creating an emotional counterpoint to the relationship through his astute selection of sound and rhythm – the big-time lifestyle of that era. From the start, the listener experiences the

The Artist: BUKVE - "Let me go Son"

BUKVE 

BUKVE is the solo project of songwriter Sveinung Fossan Bukve (Secret Treehouse, Vöödöö), who seeks the best for each of his songs, bringing in guests wherever guests are needed to get the best out of the song. The sound will vary in a familiar world of indie pop and alternative pop. A wide selection of collaborators will feature. A full debut album is in the making. 

BUKVE works closely with producer and friend, Stamos Koliousis, and it is all being visualized by Achilleas Gatospoulos, merging BUKVE's great Great Grandmothers, Alvhild Fossan's old drawings and paintings with glaciers, rivers and mountains, from where BUKVE's family name origins from.The lyrics are very personal, and all music and lyrics are by BUKVE.

facebook     instagram     twitter

Let me go Son

Die Debütsingle von BUKVE ist ein zutiefst persönliches Lied darüber, den Vater gehen zu lassen, seinen Tod nicht mehr in seinem Leben verweilen zu lassen und auch mit seinem Sohn zu sprechen; Lebe dein eigenes Leben, wenn du groß bist, du musst nicht in meine Fußstapfen treten. Das Lied bewegt, einerseits natürlich durch die Lyrics, andererseits aber auch durch die Atmosphäre die durch die Selektion der Sounds geschaffen wird, unterstützend werden Emotionen verstärkt, wie das letzte Puzzleteil fügen sich Vocals und Sound zu einem großen Ganzen zusammen, einem großen Ganzen in dem jeder einzelne Teil von enormer Wichtigkeit ist. BUKVE und "Let Me Go Son", ein grandioses Debüt.



The Interview

BUKVE is...?

I am Sveinung Fossan Bukve, from Bergen, Norway. BUKVE is my solo project. It's me being free from band compilations, and being able to decide what's best for each song. So you'll see a variation of different talented musicians, bringing in what I think I need for each individual song. 


Who inspired you to make music in general? 

I've been making music since I was around 6. It then became my most important way of expressing my feelings, as I wasn't really good at it in other ways (as the introvert I was and am). It is still an important way for me to express feelings, but also opinions. Both my dad and music (tuba and trumpet). I need to write and make music, so I'll have that burden or gift (depends I guess) for the rest of my life I'm sure.


...and especially to the song "Let me go Son"? 

"Let me go Son" is an extremely emotional song for me, topic being the death of my father, hearing his voice in my head telling me to "let him go, and not letting his passing linger in my life anymore",  but also telling my little son (9 months), Elliot, to let me go when the time is right. Live your own life.


The Song has this great atmosphere, how much time did you spend to find the right sounds? 

I'm such a sound nerd, so I usually spend a lot of time figuring out sound, changing pedals on my pedal board etc. Together with producer Stamos Koliousis, I love diving into new sounds.


Could we expect more tracks like this in the future? 

Sure, but the songs will be somewhat different depending on who I'm using on vocals (me or others), and how I feel the song should be coloured. But much of it is me recording what I've been writing, so there will be a sound consistency there as well I'm sure.


What is your creative process like? 

I have different ways of writing songs. Might be an idea just popping up in my head. Often I can feel it in my body, that there's something brewing. And when I sit down in the studio, it just comes out at once as a full song. But it can also start just as a guitar og bass riff, or a drum beat. I usually do demos myself, and then start planning the whole recording later with producer Stamos.


What is the most useful talent you have? 

Persistancy, and focus on details.  So when I've decided on doing something it will most of the times happen. 


If you could change anything in the past, what would it be? 

In my youth I was afraid of failing and diving into new things, and it held me back for many years. Looking back, I would love to have a bigger confidence in myself.


What’s next for you? 

Several singles, and finishing the record. Hopefully I will be playing live anything soon also. This is just the start. I'll also be writing and making music for other projects, recording albums and playing live with them. 


SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist