Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

"Lighter now" by Jacquie Clay

Jacquie Clay

... is a singer-songwriter, musician, and artist based in Cape Cod, MA. From a young age, she was laying the foundations to become the artist and creator that she is today. Throughout her life Jacquie has gone through some significant health challenges that at times left her unable to play piano. After several surgeries and with sheer determination she is able to play again.
This experience gave her a life-changing insight into working towards your goals no matter what and through the power of music, she wants to inspire others to follow their dreams. Jacquie has evolved her unique and powerful sound creating inspiring, uplifting, energetic pop music that has garnered a whole new following of listeners.

Jacquie Clay     facebook     twitter     spotify     soundcloud     youtube     instagram

Lighter Now

Es gibt Mensch bei denen alles leichter fällt, wenn du sie um dich hast. Sie geben dir einfach das Gefühl gut zu sein. Erinnern dich wer du bist, holen dich zurück falls man sich zu weit entfernt und all diese Sachen. Sie mögen dich, weil du es bist. Dieses Thema wurde von Jacquie Clay und Marina Bennett aufgegriffen, musikalisch verpackt und auf die Reise geschickt. 
Eine Streifzug durch Pop meets Soul, ein sanfter Chor zu Beginn, dezente Klavierakkorde und man ist schon mittendrin, der Bass, durch seine groovige Line, sendet ein Signal, einen Appell "if you wanna dance, do it!!". 
Die Stimme von Jacquie präsentiert sich von ihrer besten Seite und sorgt immer wieder für soulige Spitzen. "Lighter now" von Jacquie Clay erzeugt Inspiration, Hoffnung und sprüht vor Energie, "the energy inside the inspiration by Jacquie Clay glimmers like hope", würde ich sagen.


Q&A

Jacquie Clay is...?

Thank you so much for this opportunity! My name is Jacquie and I'm a singer-songwriter, musician and artist based out of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I've been playing music since I was very young and my main instruments are piano and voice. Recently I've been writing uplifting, upbeat pop music.

Who inspired you to make music in general?

I would have to say my family. Since I was a child they introduced me to so many genres of music, from classical music to rock and roll to pop. We attended various concerts and each new song or experience was just a reminder of how much I love music. I knew from a young age that music would always be a significant part of my life.

...and especially to the song "Lighter Now"?

I wrote my latest song “Lighter Now,” with my very talented friend Marina Bennett. Together we had chatted about what it feels like to have people in your life that just make everything better. Your life and the energy around you feels lighter. Whether it's one person or many, they're supportive and remind you that just being yourself is good enough. You're loved for being you. This song is a celebration to that person in your life.

What is your creative process like?

Typically I start writing music at the piano, playing around with different melodies, chord progressions and lyric ideas. I try my best to get most of the song written in one sitting, knowing I can always go back and edit. I usually have an idea either melody wise or lyric wise that I'm wanting to express.

What is the most useful talent you have?

My most useful talent related to music would be the ability to come up with catchy melodies and infuse my music with emotion.

What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

I love connecting more directly with the audience with live gigs. Right now I've been focusing more on studio sessions and trying to bring that same energy and connection into my recordings. It gives you more of an opportunity to really fine tune what you want your song to sound like.

When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

That can be a tough thing to decide. I find it all too easy to get stuck in wanting something to be perfect. It comes to a point, that I have to remind myself that my ultimate goal for my music is to have it connect with the listener. To be uplifting, to be comforting in times of sorrow and fun and upbeat in times of celebration. None of that can happen if I never share my music.

Who would you most like to collaborate with?

I have so many musical influences that it's hard to choose, Sara Bareilles, Josh Groban, Carole King, Jess Glynn, Becky Hill. It would be a dream to work with any of them.

If you could change anything in the past, what would it be?

It's easy to look in the past and judge your actions with the knowledge you have today, but that really isn't fair or productive. I think anything in the past that I would like to change is just a lesson moving forward on how to build the future I want.

How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media platforms) has impacted the music business?

I feel that the internet and social media has provided a platform for indie artists to reach such a wider audience and to network with other musicians they may not have had the chance to meet locally. A great example of this is my song, “Lighter Now.” My co-writer Marina Bennett is based in Vancouver, CAN, our producer Julien Renvoise is based in Montreal, CAN and I'm in Massachusetts, US. If it weren't for being able to connect, in this case over many Zoom calls, I'm not sure how this song would have happened.

What’s next for you?

Right now I'm working on an EP which I'm super excited about and I'm also working on some collaborations with different artists. I can't wait to continue to share my music with others. You can find me on all social media platforms under my name, Jacquie Clay and on my website www.jacquieclay.com


Photo credits: Honey and Fern Photography




This song has been discovered via Musosoup 
Please send your submissions via:  https://www.musosoup.com/  

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist