Skip to main content

Featured

Behind the Hedges: ‘Life in the Burbs’ by The Dream Chasers

‘Life in the Burbs’ by The Dream Chasers With ‘Life in the Burbs,’ Bridgette and Peter (aka The Dream Chasers) unfold the full range of their artistic creation. They take us on a journey through the suburbs, which includes not only the visible hedges and houses but also the hidden longings and dreams of their inhabitants. With a mix of melancholic reflection and life-affirming euphoria, they paint a multi-layered portrait. The musical accompaniment is as diverse as the emotions of the residents. From indie pop melodies that capture the quiet of a Sunday morning to powerful indie rock chords that reveal the hidden wildness behind the manicured facades, The Dream Chasers offer a soundtrack that both soothes and challenges the listener. The catchy riff in ‘Life in the Burbs’ acts as a musical guide that immediately captivates the listeners and takes them on an acoustic journey through the complex emotions of suburban life. It is the artistry with which this riff captures the essence

"Birds of Stone" by Evran

NENESBUTLER PRESENTS Music Blog Submission

Gøran Skage aka Evran

... is a Bergen-based producer & artist. With a distinctive voice and melancholic songs, he invites the listeners into his landscapes of sound. 
He creates an atmospheric universe topped by soaring guitars, etherial synths and emotional melodies


Birds of stone

Heute erschien Evran's neueste Veröffentlichung "Birds Of Stone", der Song ist ein ruhiges und spirituelles Ambient Pop-Rock Stück, beeinflusst vom Sound der Mid-90er und Acts wie Radiohead, Coldplay oder Bon Iver.
Die Inspiration hinter dem Track kam von vier Akkorden und einem Fiebertraum von zerfallenen, verlorenen Seelen, die an den Boden gefesselt und unfähig sind, weiterzugehen.
Der Text entpuppte sich später als Allegorie der Gleichheit und des Gefühls, nicht gesehen oder gehört zu werden, am deutlichsten in der Refrain-Lyrik „Letting go of everything when the daylight shines on all of us“. "Birds of Stone" by Evran dark depths of emotions embedded in the harmonies of life.


Q&A

Evran Skage is...?

Evran is a Artist & Producer from Bergen, Norway. I'm 32 years old, and music has been my true passion since I was 13. 
I started out as a songwriter lost in the droning never ending landscapes of a delay pedal, but when I got my first DAW and could record tracks on top of each other I started creating these little bubbles of sound universes, that later evolved into songs. It was also here I discovered my passion for singing.

Who inspired you to make music in general ...and especially to the song "Birds of Stone"?

The first band that blew me away was U2. I had discovered some of their songs, and really liked it, so for my birthday my parents surprised me with a DVD of their "Live at Slane Castle" concert. 
I have never gotten a more emotional and electrical sucker-punch. I cranked to volume to 50, i sang, i danced and I got my guitar and started to play along with the concert and tried to learn all of the songs. 

It was in this moment that it dawned on me that this is what I want to do. Write music & perform. The inspirations for my tracks can come from anywhere. A sound, a memory, a feeling. Or sometimes I just sit down with the piano or a guitar completely blank and just see what comes out.

What is your creative process like?

I have different ways to approach songwriting. Usually I produce while I write. So I'm creating and recording parts at the same time. I love the creativity of this process, and how the parts of the song get inspired by each other and just flow. But it's a very messy process to where entire sections of the song that you've worked hours on can just be removed because you suddenly found a better direction for the song to move in. 
Other times I have the entire song ready on acoustic guitar or piano with a vocal melody with or without lyrics. So I just need to produce the rest. I usually feel when something is right, and I know I just have to keep on grinding because I know you can't stop polishing halfway and expect something to shine.

When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

Oh lord. I've struggled with this before. The endless loop of mixing, check the mix, find a tiny detail, fix the mix, check the mix, find a new little detail, fix the mix....
Ive started to train myself to listen my songs as an average listener, because the its really only me that hear those tiny details because I'm searching for them. And tiny imperfections give the track soul and character. As for the writing I usually record myself performing the song on the piano or guitar, and listen to it while I commute to work. 
Is a section to short, to long, does it go where it should. I arrange the track in my head. And then I produce the version I have in my head. Then I do the same steps with the produced version. Does it keep me engaged from A to B. Does a section bore me, why does it bore me? I usually feel when it's ready, both writing and production vise.

Do you remember your first ever self written song?

I remember this super Ambient 7 minute guitar instrumental track was one of the first things I ever recorded. I was so proud and excited about it because I had created this huge sound with my pedal and created a counter melody that harmonised with the first part.
The first one where I had written a vocal melody and lyrics was a track called "While We Die" (yes I was a Emo-kid) it was this acoustic song with these Pink Floyd "I wish you were here" elements meets Opeth's "Damnation" album. 
It had this huge instrumental ending that I made at like 2am. I was so hyped I sent it to my best friend and was like "Omg I just finished this song!!!" and he replied like "k, cool" I remember I was so devistated by his lack of enthusiasm, I thought the track was shit, I was shit, everything was shit and should just quit. Then I called me 20 minutes later super hyped and said "OMG!! Sorry! I just heard the track!! I didn't have time before. THAT ENDING!! WOW!!“
Really gave me a confidence boost, and made me realise that I could transfer my feelings through a song to a different person.

What was the first ever Pop/Rock song you listened to?

I'm not really sure. Up until the age of 13 I didn't really have a musical taste or palette. I listened to what was popular and on the radio. Probably something from the 80s early 90s. I remember I was really into Gorillaz when their first record dropped, don't know if you could lable them as Pop Rock since their sound is a fusion of so many genres and styles. 
I also loved Robbie Williams "Escapology" album, I think you could lable some of the tracks on that album as Pop Rock. Great records both of them, still give them a spinn.

What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

Both, I love loosing yourself in the music in the studio, and just be creative. And I love live, connecting with people, see how your songs have been like a soundtrack to their lives.

What’s next for you?

Finishing the album, drop another single after this one. I really want to find someone I can make some cool music videos with.
Create some merch! And play live as much as I can. And write much much more music.


SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist