Skip to main content

Featured

Behind the Hedges: ‘Life in the Burbs’ by The Dream Chasers

‘Life in the Burbs’ by The Dream Chasers With ‘Life in the Burbs,’ Bridgette and Peter (aka The Dream Chasers) unfold the full range of their artistic creation. They take us on a journey through the suburbs, which includes not only the visible hedges and houses but also the hidden longings and dreams of their inhabitants. With a mix of melancholic reflection and life-affirming euphoria, they paint a multi-layered portrait. The musical accompaniment is as diverse as the emotions of the residents. From indie pop melodies that capture the quiet of a Sunday morning to powerful indie rock chords that reveal the hidden wildness behind the manicured facades, The Dream Chasers offer a soundtrack that both soothes and challenges the listener. The catchy riff in ‘Life in the Burbs’ acts as a musical guide that immediately captivates the listeners and takes them on an acoustic journey through the complex emotions of suburban life. It is the artistry with which this riff captures the essence

"Modern Day Romance" by Cxl Mxck

NENESBUTLER PRESENTS Music Blog SubmissionNENESBUTLER PRESENTS Music Blog Submission

Cxl Mxck

... is an alternative artist from Cheshire England. In his first 12 months as an active artist, Mxck has been featured on BBC introducing Merseyside, Amazing Radio, Local stations and several online articles. 
The success on the radio caught the attention of the local newspaper the Northwich Guardian who in late October 2020 released an in depth interview and an introducing article of the young artist, and later did an article about Mxcks debut EP.

Modern Day Romance

Die neueste Veröffentlichung vom CXL MXCK beginnt recht gemächlich um dann nach ein paar Sekunden Fahrt aufzunehmen. Faszinierend vor allem der grandiose Genre-mix der sich verschiedenster Stilrichtungen bedient.
Einerseits ein wenig Grunge, dann wieder New Wave aber auch etwas Punk sind zu hören. CXL MXCK pickt sich bei "Modern Day Romance" das Beste raus, quasi die Rosinen der Musik, man muss halt Rosinen mögen und wenn das der Fall ist, ist man bei dem neuen Track bestens aufgehoben. 
Die Steigerung, sprich das Arrangement im Song überzeugt, baut Spannung auf und knallt einem dann während des Refrains so richtig um die Ohren. Das Bridge erinnert etwas an Fall Out Boy und ist ein weiteres gelungenes Puzzleteil. CXL MXCK fährt musikalisch querfeldein, ohne Rücksicht auf Verluste nimmt er alles mit was ihm gefällt, um es uns zu servieren, und er serviert eine Delikatesse.
CXL MXCK has been inspired to inspire us. "Modern Day Romance" maybe a Story on the way to glory.


Q&A

Cxl Mxck is...? 

Cxl Mxck is the name I sort of had to come up With as a result of not doing my research before starting out. 

Cxl Mxck is essentially Cal Mack… however when I released my first single i ended up getting a very angry message from an American rapper who had trademarked the name. 
I was like my own name??? Okay? Damn. So Cxl Mxck was a way of adding some spice but keeping my name haha.

Who inspired you to make music in general ...and especially to the song "Modern day romance"?

I had such good music around me growing up. Youngest of 5 means I got a dose of all my siblings phases. My sisters emo phase really rubbed off on me. But it was always mum and dads 80’s classics that got me. Bowie, the Cure, Genesis
I Always thought, I wanna do what they do! In terms of the new single, I was listening to a lot of 90’s emo and indie tracks at the time, I just wanted to pay tribute to that but still with my own twist.

The song creates a great atmosphere based on it's genre mixture, punk rock meets alternative with a touch of grunge, do you like to "play" with the genres?

Oh heck yeah man. Genre is the last thing I think about when writing a song dude. The song will just flourish in its own, normally as late as when I’m in the studio recording. I never aim for like a “punk” song or an “indie” song, I just try to add aspects of different genres where I think it sounds interesting and different.

What is your creative process like?

It’s always a concept. A feeling. Something I want to get across. This one was more a goodbye to my days of clubbing and just living frivolously. Looking back on the good days of reckless youth yano? 
But yeah, I always use a feeling as drive and start the lyrics, then flesh the melody on guitar and you’re set!

When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

I always, I mean always, really hate the songs I’ve written for weeks, sometimes months after. I do a demo then I sit on it for months and think, that sucked. 
Then I’ll find myself running through my notes and going, oh hold on that was catchy, or that was interesting then I go to the studio and sort of think ok, there’s something here let’s try some stuff and then we get the track!

Do you remember your first ever self written song?

I’d love to have a cool answer for this… but I really don’t know. Haha. 
The first I can remember was a song I became known for in the local music scene (For better or worse) but it was called ecstasy baby, and I’ve always thought it was awful but people still shout it at my gigs so maybe… someday?

What was the first ever Rock... song you listened to?

I remember the first “heavy” song I heard. It was chop suey by SOAD. It was on my sisters iPod shuffle that I had stolen to listen to. I remember feeling rebellious just listening to it. 
And hell man, I still love the band to this day!

What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

Oooooo that’s so tough. I think it depends. You can have really successful times in both. I’ve had to leave the studio prematurely before with nothing to work with and I’ve been booed off stage. I think playing live, you can’t describe the feeling of a good gig. Tough but. Gig.

What’s next for you?

I guess I’m gonna carry on writing. I have a huge backlog of demos to get through. Maybe another EP next year? I have enough for an album right now but the future is undecided and I’m cool with that.


Photo credits: JDMH

SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist