Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

The Artist: Red Ran The Mathematikal

Red Ran The Mathematikal

The music of Red Ran The Mathematikal is inspired by the seemingly opposite spheres of nature and technology. He takes a scientific approach to constructing breaks & drum patterns. These are coupled with ambient soundscapes inspired by the mountains and seas.
Ran is a multi-instrumentalist, who is also happy to use samples and synthesizers in creating his cinematic sound collages. His musical influences are diverse having been exposed to his father’s vast and eclectic record collection from a young age. These range from the cool jazz of Miles Davis to the psychedelia of Pink Floyd to the swaying rhythms of 1960’s bossa nova records from Brazil and much more. He describes his music as his own interpretation of the Drum 'n' Bass/Jungle genre. Occasionally he slows down the BPM for Downtempo and Ambient cuts.
 spotify     soundcloud     instagram     facebook


Nu Jazz Enterprise (Out 18th October on all major platforms)

Some days ago I have had the chance to listen to the upcoming EP "Nu Jazz Enterprise" by Red Ran the mathematikal and I have to say, the Artist surprised me a lot. We all know "Blues for Shunga", it's one of the tracks from the EP and it's really an amazing song with a unique atmosphere. I don't want to say too much about 'cause we will do a review next week when it's available in the stores, but what I can tell you is, that this EP creates such amazing and different moods in combination with extraordinary genre-mixtures that you will definitely be surprised as well. Unfortunately we have to wait another seven days to listen to it.


Q&A

Red Ran the mathematikal is/are...?

Red Ran The Mathematikal is a my musical alter-ego. If you think about rhythm is mathematical and music goes hand in hand with rhythm.

Who inspired you to make music in general?

I have a lot of musical influences from Miles Davis to Jimi Hendrix to Massive Attack. But if I really think about it I would say that I was surrounded by the music from dad's record collection from a young age. All sorts of music like The Beatles, bossa nova, Steely Dan etc. Lot of classical and jazz too.

...and especially to the song "Blues for Sungha" ?

"Blues for Sungha" is a drum 'n' bass/jungle track - where my main influences would be LTJ Bukem, Photek, PFM. There is a guitar solo on there and that's a nod to David Gilmour (Pink Floyd).

The track is a great mixture of Avant-Garde and Experimental Electronic and also part of your upcoming EP, what can we expect?

Thank you for the kind words. Most of the music I am making and on my EP "Nu Jazz Enterprise" is my interpretation of the drum 'n' bass/jungle genre.

Did you have a favorite Song on the EP?

It is tough to pick but most probably I would say "Cold Train".

How much time do you invest to find the right sounds for a song?

I used to be a perfectionist but I realized that one would never release anything. My dad has a saying "The perfect is the enemy of the good." So I try not to overthink it too much.

When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

In addition to the answer to the previous question - this can change with time. Originally "Nu Jazz Enterprise" was meant to have 8-9 tracks but I cut the other tracks and am re-working them now. I leave the songs alone for a little while after finishing them. And then when you listen to them again you hear them differently.

What do you prefer more, the stage or the studio?

Studio

What is your creative process like?

I jam by myself either on the guitar or piano and come up with ideas. Occasionally a bass riff may inspire a song too. I also experiment with drum patterns & rhythms.

What is the most useful talent you have?

That's another great question and a tough one to answer! I would say that ultimately I am making music to express myself and for my own satisfaction. To believe in that is important. Obviously it's a wonderful feeling for an artist when your music touches other people. On the other hand we can also feel disappointment when our music is criticized. So it's important to remember why you are making music in the first place.

What’s next for you?

More releases and surprises! You'll just have to wait and see!




Photo credits: Praveen Abhayaratne

Nu Jazz Enterprise




This song/artist has been discovered via Musosoup 
Please send your submissions via:  https://www.musosoup.com/  

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist