Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

"Warning Signs" by Leanna Oki

NENESBUTLER PRESENTS Music Blog SubmissionNENESBUTLER PRESENTS Music Blog Submission

Leanna Oki

Canadian artist Leanna blends elements of soulful pop and electronic music to create her unique and captivating sound. Finding her outlet in music at an early age, singing and songwriting have evolved into her forms of self-expression and therapy, serving as a way to release her inexplicable feelings and experiences. 
Being self-taught in piano, guitar, and music production, Leanna is almost fully independent in her music creation until it nears the very final stages. 
The indie artist has been featured across Canada by Toronto Guardian, Canadian Beats, Aesthetic Magazine, Ottawa Life, The Permanent Rain Press, The Wire Megazine, and Cashbox Canada, and was aired by CBC Radio, the QUBE 88.9 FM and KOOP 91.7 FM. Leanna also appeared on CTV Ottawa Morning Live for their Morning Jam.


Warning Signs

Die kanadische Sängerin Leanna Oki veröffentlichte gestern ihre neueste Single "Warning Signs". Da stellt sich die Frage nach der Erwartung, was hat dieser Release zu bieten. Leanna liefert vor allem einen kraftvollen Up-Tempo-Disco-Pop-Track und verpackt ihrer Verachtung, nachdem ein Ex ohne Vorwarnung gegangen ist, in diesem Track. 
Die Vocals hier natürlich im Mittelpunkt, eindringliche Vocals in Kombination mit schweren Synths und satten Harmonien werden als Geschütz hochgefahren. 
Der Groove unwiderstehlich. Der treibende Rhythmus zwingt einen bzw. animiert zum Tanzen. Gekonnt wird immer wieder etwas Fahrt herausgenommen um dann von neuen den Emotionen freien Lauf zu lassen. Leanna Oki in Bestform, und definitiv der Star in diesem Szenario, die Beats und die mächtigen Sounds als geniale Begleiter welche ordentlich für Druck sorgen. 
Ein Disco-Pop-Track wo alles passt, alles sitzt. "Warning Signs" by Leanna Oki when emotion meets passion on the dancefloor, definitely the next step to the top.



Q&A

Leanna Oki is...?

Leanna Oki is an emerging Canadian artist who has been making music for over 6 years as a way to express her inexplicable feelings and thoughts in a deeply vulnerable way. She started writing music when she picked up the guitar in her freshman year of university while studying Psychology at the University of Toronto. 
From that point on, she became self-taught in piano, guitar, and music production, which led her to start recording her own tracks in the studio in 2018. Music is now her creative outlet and form of therapy that allows her to merge her passions of music and mental health, by creating music she hopes can profoundly connect with her listeners.

Who inspired you to make music in general? ...and especially to the song "Warning Signs"?

For as long as I can remember, I have always gravitated towards music and have been inspired by many prominent and soulful female vocalists over the years including Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Stevie Nicks, and Adele. My passion for singing eventually led me to write my own songs when I started university, where I picked up the guitar. I was immediately able to create and attach melodies to my thoughts, and the lyrics just flowed naturally. That's when I knew I wanted to become an artist.

I was inspired to write "Warning Signs" after the very abrupt and unexpected ending of my last relationship, which completely caught me off guard. After it ended, I came to realize many of the warning signs that I failed to notice I was in that relationship. This song is about becoming retrospectively aware of those warning signs and releasing the anger and resentment I had at the time.

It's a powerful uptempo Pop Song, is this your favourite genre?

I don't know if I have a favourite genre; I can appreciate every style of music in its own way. I love listening to soulful classics, 90's R&B, as well as alternative rock and pop
For my own music, I like to combine elements of pop, R&B, and electronic music with a singer-songwriter feel.

What is your creative process like?

Usually, my creative process starts with the idea of what I want the song to be about. It could be based on a past experience, a profound feeling or emotion, a relationship, or anything in between. 
Then, I usually find a quiet time to improvise some melodies and lyrics until I come up with one that connects with me. From there, I come up with chord progressions on the piano or guitar and continue writing and adding instrumental components.

When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

It often takes me a while to figure out the release date for a song because there is no exact "right" time to release. 
I usually feel ready to release it once I have some visual content prepared to accompany the song including photos and video, as well as a press release so I can send it out to different outlets. 
But sometimes I just go with my gut and release my music when I feel confident and excited to share it with the world!

Do you remember your first ever self written song?

Yes! The first song I ever wrote is a song called "Mayhem", which is still very near and dear to my heart. I wrote it shortly after learning how to play the guitar. It has a reminiscent melody to Creep by Radiohead with more of a dreamy and mellow vibe.

What's your most useful talent, besides music?

I would say my other useful talent is my ability to cook and bake up a storm. I pride myself on my pumpkin pie, cinnamon rolls, and lemon cake.

What was the first ever Pop/Rock/... song you listened to?

I probably can't remember the first song I listened to, but one of the songs that come to mind is "Man! I Feel Like a Woman" by Shania Twain. I would always sing and dance along to it as a kid. I also remember listening to a lot of power ballads by Mariah Carey and Celine Dion.

What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

I feel more comfortable in the studio, but I have been longing to do some live gigs as well. 
I just haven't had the chance to perform recently due to the current circumstances of the world, but I would love to get back into it soon!
I always love the uplifting energy and support from the audience.

What’s next for you?

My next single "Warning Signs" is coming out on Friday. October 29th! 
The music video for it will be out in the coming weeks as well. 
I've also got a few more tracks lined up for the near future, so stay tuned!



Photo credits: Dustin Trabello





Artists of the Week! - The Playlist