Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

"Groundhog Day" by Chrissie Huntley

Chrissie Huntley upcoming artist

Chrissie Huntley

From her very first live show in 2018, to performing to thousands on BBC One, headlining the O2 Academy Bristol and being handpicked by Michael Eavis to play Glastonbury 2019, Chrissie began making huge waves on the live music scene… and most importantly: without a single anxiety attack.
In 2017, Chrissie developed a debilitating anxiety, preventing her from going to work or leaving the house. In pursuit of healing, catharsis and expression, Chrissie turned to music. Leaving everything else behind, Chrissie headed to Bristol and immerse herself in music, full-time.

Subsequently, Chrissie became dedicated to using her music to support others who may be struggling. In 2018, she launched a mental health awareness campaign #LetsTalkAboutIt, raising over £500 for ‘Mind- Mental Health Charity’. Since, Chrissie has continued her support by donating £1 of every merchandise sale to the charity. Her advocacy even gained her an invite to perform her own music at the UK House of Commons in 2019.
Whilst it was clear that music was the ultimate remedy for Chrissie, this whirlwind journey came to a halt when the pandemic hit. Losing the momentum she had been gaining on the live music circuit, Chrissie used the time granted by national lockdowns to her advantage, by equipping herself with a brand new body of work to return to the stage with in the new year.

Big things are to come from the BRIT School graduate, with plans for a 3-track EP coming in 2022. For now though, Chrissie's musical mission is simple: to make the world a little peachier.




Groundhog Day

Da ist sie wieder, Chrissie Huntley und ihr neuester Track "Groundhog Day". Wir erinnern uns noch an "Me, Myself and I" dem Vorgänger, souliger Pop, edel verpackt. Dieses Mal wird der Soul etwas zur Seite gestellt, "pure Pop" wird geliefert, sehr catchy, sehr dreamy. Ready for the Charts. Chrissie als Star in der Produktion, zurecht wie ich meine. Das Arrangement auf sie abgestimmt, gut balanciert.
Die Weiterentwicklung ist gelungen bzw. unüberhörbar. Der Genrewechsel grandios. Schwer zu sagen welches Genre ihr besser steht. Auf dem Pop Terrain ist Chrissie Huntley auf alle Fälle sicher und überzeugend unterwegs. Der Titel verrät bereits ein wenig das Thema des Songs. "I began seeing the absurdity of me spending all my time working out how to spend my time", wie sie sagt.
"Groundhog Day" by Chrissie Huntley, a new song in a new genre and a promise for the future, a future called Chrissie Huntley.



Q&A

Who inspired you to make music in general?

Music has always been a big part of my life but it wasn't until I was about 19 that I actually decided to start making music of my own. Musically Lianne la Havas inspired me to buy a guitar and start writing, but if I were to pinpoint the moment I started writing on someone in particular, it would be my close friend - and housemate at the time- Perola

She inspired me to start writing poetry when we lived together, and the catharsis I found in this was so powerful that it soon blossomed into songwriting.


...and especially to the song "Groundhog Day"?

Groundhog Day was born in lockdown when I was feeling frustrated with trying to fill the huge amount of time we suddenly had on our hands. 

Even though it was born out of frustration, it became quite light hearted and upbeat as the writing process went on as I began seeing the absurdity of me spending all my time working out how to spend my time, with lines such as "I'm just a little caught up in making my mind up", making the repetition of lockdown a little less frustrating and a little more laughable.


What is your creative process like?

It's different for every song I write really. Groundhog Day I had the chorus melody in my head and then wrote a guitar part and the rest around the chorus; whereas some songs I'll write poetry and then turn them into a topline; some songs I'll hear the music before the lead vocal comes into play... it all depends! However, I only sit down and write when I feel like I need to write. 

That's usually when I have something on my mind that I need to speak on/get out on paper or when I get a melody stuck in my head that I need to record before I forget it. Whenever I force creativity, it doesn't work; so I try to act reflexively when inspiration arises rather than be too hard on myself when I'm not feeling creative.


When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

I guess I could liken this to developing a house. My mum bought a house about 6 years ago and has been doing it up since - is it ready? No. Because to her, it will never be "ready". When you spend so long working on something that means so much to you, it can be so hard to take a step back and go, "yeah - I'll leave it there" as it becomes so addictive trying to achieve "perfection". 

But- as we all know- perfection doesn't exist- so for me, when I feel it's close to being release ready, I'll leave it for about 2 weeks and not listen to it at all. Then, when I come back to it, if I still feel it's release ready - I bite the bullet and release it!


What's your most useful talent besides music?

This is such a hard question!! Ummm..... I'm really really surprisingly good at parallel parking... does that count?


What was the first ever Pop/Rock/... song you listened to or remember on?

I'm not sure what the very first was but I remember seeing "Butterflies & Hurricanes" by Muse live at Glastonbury when I was 8, and looking at Matt Bellamy thinking - "wow, that's what I wanna do when I grow up".


What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

Live gig, 100%!! Don't get me wrong, I love being in the studio but it's just a whole different kettle of fish to performing live. 
The electricity and adrenaline of live music is just incomparable - it's the best feeling in the world!


Do you remember your first ever Live Gig?

Yes! It was with my band at The Fleece in Bristol in 2018 and I was so nervous I had to take the whole day off of uni! 
It was great fun though and I love looking back on that gig to see how far I've come since then :)


What’s next for you?

Lots more music!!! I have another single in its final stages as we speak, and preparations for some dream collaborations and writing trips to create my debut EP in 2022.... so watch this space!




NenesButler presents - Music Blog - Submit your Music 

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist