Skip to main content

Featured

Nostalgic Authenticity: “Big Time” by Rogue FX and Mayah Camara

“Big Time” by Rogue FX and Mayah Camara Today, we’re opening the gates to our blog in classic style – classic '80s synth-pop, to be precise. Whenever the words ‘80s’ and ‘synth-pop’ are mentioned, Rogue FX is never far behind. Drawn to the essence of that decade, he dives deep to retrieve a flawless pearl and then showcases it in his musical shop window.  His latest track is called “Big Time,” a collaborative project with Retrowave/Nu-Soul artist Mayah Camara . The story revolves around a relationship at a crossroads, caused by the success and fame of one partner who has reached the “big time” mentioned in the title. Jealousy and insecurity take hold, but there’s a shared hope that the relationship can survive and grow.  Rogue FX cleverly packages this story in the big-city vibe of the '80s, creating an emotional counterpoint to the relationship through his astute selection of sound and rhythm – the big-time lifestyle of that era. From the start, the listener experiences the

Q&A today: LAVOLA ("Your Alarm Bell")

Some days ago we discovered this great song called "Your Alarm Bell" by LAVOLA and today we are able to present a short Q&A with the artist behind the track. Read something about his influences, his creative process and some other stuff.  Thanks a lot for your time! 


Q&A

Lavola is...?

Lavola is an indie music project that started like I'd imagine others have- in a bedroom. I'd record guitar, keys, and noise arrangements in a tape recorder while living in Tallahassee, FL. Over the years it has evolved to hundreds of local shows, US tours, records, and a couple moves outside of my home state of Florida.


Who inspired you to make music in general?

I grew up on 90s alternative, so artists like Smashing Pumpkins, Aimee Mann, Bjork, and Jeff Buckley among countless others, really influenced my songwriting approach on a foundational level. When it came to writing what would eventually become Lavola, however, I was equally influenced by what I was reading at the time and even the mixed media artists I was huge on. 
One of the first Lavola songs was written moments after discovering mixed media pieces by Angela Petsis (who eventually became responsible for the album art on a couple Lavola records)


...and especially to the song "Your alarm bell"?

Musically, Your Alarm Bell, was written pretty quick on my guitar. Lyrically, it took a while to finalize. To me, it focuses on the complexities of loss and letting go- seeing constant reminders of loss in your bedroom, yet not feeling mentally and emotionally strong enough to let go of the emotional baggage on your own. 
Wanting the reminders of a past life to leave, yet finding comfort in relics from a past life lying around your home. I think that concept, and the way it hit home, was something that took a while for me to reconcile- let alone, write about.


What is your creative process like?

It really varies. I think the most consistent thing about the process though is i'm reacting off of something that isn't really musical at first. If I'm feeling inspired by a piece of art, for example, then maybe a guitar or piano riff or synth arpeggio may come about with the right instrument or DAW available. 
Or often times I'll react off of loops of noise or ambiance- and eventually a melody will appear. Then a bass line, etc.


When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

Well, seeing as it took me 7 years to release new Lavola, I may not have the most insightful answer to this. I really took my time with producing new music for Lavola. 
I wanted each step done in a particular way and with particular people. There was a good amount of time to reflect in between each step of the process.


Do you remember your first ever self written song?

Yeah. Pretty cringe.


You wrote "Lavola makes music for painters", are you painting as well?

That bio was actually written by a friend of mine. She would paint to Lavola, so there's literal truth to that. I don't paint, however. Wish I could. My strengths lie in big picture conceptualizing when it comes to visual mediums.


What was the first ever Pop/Rock/... song you listened to?

Unsure of the first I listened to. But the first I loved was Bullet with Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins. I was 8.


What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

There's an excitement in both that I love equally.


What’s next for you?

My plan is to alternate between Lavola and my other music project Deep Sea Research Center. So, a release from DSRC is in the works.



NenesButler presents - Music Blog - Submit your Music 

SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist