Skip to main content

Featured

The Fear of Omnipresent Observation: ‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry

‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry On this very Friday, we whisk you away into the sublime yet shadow-laden realm of Goth Rock, where the heart of Post-Punk beats incessantly. The Silence Industry has recently set a benchmark with ‘The Crawling Eye’ that other artists will find difficult to surpass in the foreseeable future. Endowed with an impressive back catalog,  The Silence Industry approaches a topic of grave seriousness in their latest release. The track addresses omnipresent surveillance, shedding light on its profound implications as well as the personal apprehensions it evokes.   Musically, Graham Jackson creates a scene of distressing perfection, where elements of Death-Rock leave us breathless and the fear of omnipresent observation becomes palpable. Driven by a dark Post-Punk aura, Graham rises with a performance at the microphone that recalls memories of Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke). The artist not only succeeds in maintaining the tension for nearly seven minutes b

"Each time you fall" by Jelia

Julia Wyszkowska, professionally known as Jelia.

Jelia

Julia Wyszkowska, professionally known as Jelia, is a 20-year-old singer and songwriter. After finishing college in Warsaw, she moved to London to study and pursue her career in music. 
Her main influences come from the Real Book (Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Nat King Cole), and contemporary music (Adele, Jorja Smith, London Grammar, Lana Del Rey).

facebook     spotify     soundcloud     instagram     tiktok


Each time you fall

Heute haben wir ein weiteres Debüt im Programm. Jelia heißt die junge aufstrebende Künstlerin, geboren in Warschau, Polen, zurzeit jedoch in London zu Hause, wo sie Songwriting studiert. Der Track, "Each time you fall", vor ein paar Tagen veröffentlicht, so die Eckdaten. 
Der eindringlichen Reflexion einer Liebe, einer Liebe wo Emotionen auch zur Überlastung führen können, steht im Gegensatz dazu, das Verlieben selbst gegenüber, so einfach, so wunderbar, alles ist bzw. scheint perfekt, all das verarbeitet Jelia in ihrem Erstlingswerk.
Das Songwriting sowie die musikalische Ausarbeitung überzeugend, der Einstieg ein wenig melancholisch, spiegelt jedoch diese düsteren, dunklen Momente gut wieder. Danach finest Breakbeat , man wird quasi ins kalte Wasser geworfen und der Track beginnt sich neu zu entwickeln. 
Einer kleinen Revolution gleich, dynamisch wie auch charakterisierend für den Song. Wir begeben uns auf eine Berg- und Talfahrt, mit an Bord, Jelia, das ewiges Auf und Ab der Liebe haben wir im Gepäck und am Ende landen wir um selbst zu entscheiden. 
"Each time you fall" und die Fahrt auf dem Rollercoaster of Love könnte man fast meinen. "Each time you fall" by Jelia definitiv ein gelungener Song zu ihrem Einstand.



Q&A

Jelia is...?

I am a singer-songwriter. I study BMus Songwriting at BIMM London.


Who inspired you to make music in general?

Julia Wyszkowska, singer and songwriter.
My first idol when I was 7 was Rihanna - watching her being the best singer and beautiful woman who makes worldwide fashion trends inspired me to fantasise about myself being on the stage, writing songs. I was obsessed with listening to all of her albums, almost till she stopped her music career.

Another obsession of my teenage years - an album that I used to listen to every day for around two years - was Wasting My Young Years by London Grammar. The way Hannah Reid writes poetic lyrics that are drowning in metaphors and how she sings differently each time they perform made me attach to her music unlike to anyone else’s.

When I was little I was attending ceramics classes where the teacher would always put on jazz radio which I truly hated. But then, I suddenly got into it at the age of 15 - first, into modern smooth jazz, then into jazz standards later on. That was around the time when I started singing, so jazz, indie pop and r&b vastly influenced my style. Jazz also grounded the improvisational skills that I use each time I write a song.


...and especially to the song "Each time you fall"?

Probably subconsciously, I tried to create a minimalistic melody in the chorus in the London Grammar style.


What is your creative process like?

The creative process for “each time you fall” was really interesting because the sound effects of the chorus are inspired by a recording Micah made while I was singing on the stairway in the skyscraper he lives in. Imagine, two musicians on the 19th floor, randomly recording a new song when the neighbours come by every few minutes.
The whole mixed recording was created maybe within 5 h that evening. Then, left for around 3 months and made it almost from scratch again. It was a lot of fun though! And a lot of learning on the way.


What's your most useful talent besides music?

Analysing people. Through adapting my observations, I can write more meaningful songs but also communicate effectively and achieve what I want. 
It’s not just analysing others’ behaviour and the way they talk - it’s also introspection and auto-psychoanalysis which helps me understand myself. To me, there’s nothing more important than to understand who you are, what’s your goals and where you’re heading.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

I think I am collaborating with the person I wanted to work with for quite a long right now, but I cannot say anything more yet. But if we were talking about my dream collaboration, I think it would be Fineas, Billie Eilish’s brother and producer.


What was the first ever Pop/Rock/etc. ... song you listened to or remember on?

I remember my dad used to listen to U2 a lot which was one of a few bands that didn’t annoy me as a 4-year-old child. I didn’t like listening to music at that time - I was finding it disruptive and noisy.


What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

It really depends on with who and where. I feel like both experiences always make me absorb so much knowledge from others. It’s like you could never prepare enough for those events because there’s always something that will surprise you - the way the other producer works or if the sound engineer at a music venue can’t do their thing so you can’t hear yourself on stage etc.

If I had to choose I think I love performing with my band more than doing a studio session because on stage I can feel the flow of the energy whereas the recording studio sometimes can be uninspiring. It’s harder for me to express emotions by just listening to an unfinished demo on headphones, alone in a quiet room.
I honestly love writing songs - for myself or others. When you write with or for others you need to stay open-minded to let the song flourish.


Do you remember your first ever self-written song?

It was in nursery when I was 4. I wrote a second part to a famous song for children and I remember all of my friends learnt it and sang it with me. 
I was very cheeky because I pretended this was originally the second verse and second chorus but it’s not well known. A similar thing happened when I wrote a winter song in primary school and my friends liked it so much that we were all singing it together till we finished school.


What’s next for you?

I’m planning my next release for the 4th of February, in collaboration with the same producer, Micah Volter. This song will be more R&B than this one so the listeners will have a chance to see a different side of me.
At the beginning of next year, me and my band will play a gig in London, among a few other talented artists, so you should watch out as I’ll be announcing it on my socials any time soon!


Photo credits: Sandra Mitrea



NenesButler presents - Music Blog - Submit your Music 

SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist