Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

"Squeeze" by Charlotte Hall

Charlotte Hall is a solo artist currently based in Chesterfield, UK.

Charlotte Hall

Charlotte Hall is a solo artist currently based in Chesterfield, UK. She has a vast musical background from classical training, to songwriting. Charlotte plays a variety of genres, including Rock and Folk. Her original songs are influenced by artists such as Blondie, Paramore, Fleetwood Mac, and Yungblud.
In 2018, her lead single 'Bombshell' received airtime on BBC Introducing York and North Yorkshire, leading to an interview and live acoustic session with Jericho Keys. She then secured 'Record of the Week' with her acoustic guitar solo 'Stratosphere.'
Charlotte has teamed up with The Online Recording Studio for her most recent singles (2021 onwards).

facebook     spotify     soundcloud     bandcamp     youtube     instagram


Squeeze

Die Inspiration offen und ehrlich. Die sexuelle Befreiung feiern, sich in jemand anderen verlieren zu können, ja zu dürfen, auch keine Angst haben sich mitzuteilen, auszudrücken, kurz die Intimität genießen und das Alles unabhängig von Geschlecht oder Sexualität, denn jeder hat das Recht geliebt zu werden, als großes Thema. Charlotte Hall lädt uns zur Selbstreflexion ein, mehr über uns heraus zu finden, tiefer zu graben. 
Eine groovige Bassline eröffnet die brisante Sache und wird anschließend von der Bass-drum, im wahrsten Sinne, vor sich hergetrieben, spielt aber im weiteren Verlauf neben den Vocals die Hauptrolle. 
Und das macht dieses Stück so interessant, die Kombination Bass und Vocals als musikalische Protagonisten in der Umsetzung, kann eher als eine Rarität angesehen werden. 
In dieser ungewöhnlichen Konstellation fordert Charlotte uns zur "Befreiung" auf und liefert so ganz nebenbei einen herrlich eingängigen Pop/Rock Song der Extraklasse ab.



Q&A

Charlotte Hall is...?

A singer-songwriter currently based in Chesterfield, U.K. I have mostly written music under the Indie Umbrella and have overlapped onto quite a variety of genres such as Folk, Pop, Rock and Country. 
I also promote Mental Health Awareness on my Instagram page and try to aim this towards fellow creators, not just musicians.


Who inspired you to make music in general ...and especially to the song "Squeeze"?

I became inspired to write songs after giving composing a try during my BA at University. Initially the “pop-rock” songs were just going to be a side-project alongside my Master’s Degree but within a few months it certainly proved otherwise. 
My debut single got airtime on BBC Introducing York and North Yorkshire and a Live Session with Jericho Keys. I think that achievement gave me the spur to keep going with song writing; it has been very difficult over the last two years contending with a global pandemic and writer’s block, but let’s see what 2022 brings!

“Squeeze” is about sexual liberation regardless of your gender or sexuality. Lockdown gave people time to self-reflect and find out more about who they really are. This could be who they identify as, who they are attracted/not attracted to or like me, whether they needed healing from past events. Nobody should live in fear or feel any shame for who they are and everyone has the right to be loved.


What is your creative process like?

Usually I will start writing songs on the Acoustic Guitar and then write the lyrics later. This time with “Squeeze” it has been pretty different though as I started writing the bass part first! 
I knew it was going to head in more of a Pop direction being inspired by the sound worlds of both “cotton candy” by Yungblud and “Like A Virgin” by Madonna.


What's your most useful talent besides music?

During uni I did really get into vegan baking; I missed having good pieces of cake and biscuits so I started looking for the best alternatives! 
I think my best two bakes so far have been Gin and Tonic Cake and also a Vanilla Oreo Rocky Road!


How would you describe 2021 in a sentence?

A roller coaster with plenty of ups and downs!


What was the first ever Pop/Rock/etc. ... song you listened to or remember on?

I think my earliest memory of hearing a rock song was “I Want It All” by Queen. One of my brothers had a Queen music video compilation on a video tape and I managed to get onto a chair and dance along. I grew up with a lot of music in the background whether it was T Rex, Eurythmics, Oasis or Bon Jovi.


You are from Chesterfield,UK, how would you describe the music scene there?

Growing and fingers crossed making a bit of a come-back! There are a few new open mics that have sprung up in the area after losing some due to the pandemic. I am looking forward to getting out to open mics again soon!


Do you remember your first ever self-written song?

I used to be more of a lyric writer when I was twelve, and used to come up with ideas I’d never finish. The first song I properly finished was “Bombshell” that I released when I was 22 and I still remember that feeling of playing it for the first time live and the bassist in the band said I should record it. She was so right that I should have done it!


What’s next for you?

New Music will be coming in 2022; watch this space for February. I have also had a re-record of one track which I can’t wait to release again!





NenesButler presents - Music Blog - Submit your Music 

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist