Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

"When we were kids (Liza Flume)" by EHCO


Ehco

EHCO's sound brings you from mesmerising and immersive to full-on, hypnotic, emotive dance. EHCO started out as an Electronic/Dance project by producer Eoin Whitfield and vocalist Jessy Lord. Following their first EP "OPIA", EHCO expanded and took on the form of a multi-instrumental 5 piece band.
The mix of live instruments and electronics, explosive percussion and Jessy Lord's infectious voice, creates a euphoric and vibrant experience, with an energy and charm unique to the collaboration of these 5 artists.
EHCO have sold out headline shows and played Irish festivals Electric Picnic, Castlepalooza and the Other Voices Music Trail. They have also collaborated with Irish and international artists including, Daithi, Liza Flume, Bonniesongs, Arachidonic and Benny Smiles.

spotify     instagram     youtube     facebook     twitter     soundcloud



When we were kids - Remix

Heute erscheint "When we were kids" - Liza Flume remixed by EHCO und das bedeutet, einem etablierten Song wird wieder etwas Leben eingehaucht, oder auch eine komplett neue Richtung gegeben.
In diesem Fall zeichnet sich Ehco dafür verantwortlich. Seinerseits bekannt durch seinen unverkennbaren Stil, hypnotisch, affektiv und leidenschaftlich wird neu interpretiert, eine frische Aorta geschaffen, ja, hinzugefügt. Es ist diese erstaunliche Kreativität von EHCO die "When we were kids" neu strahlen lässt, strahlen in einem Licht aus pulsierenden Beats, Synth-patterns oder auch den Percussions
Ein Track der Sinnlichkeit hörbar macht, sich der Kunst der Verführung bedient und den Hörer gekonnt in seinen Bann zieht. Die entstehende Euphorie aus Faszination und Begierde macht neugierig, sorgt für das Knistern, hält die Spannung und liefert enorme Energie. EHCO and the Art of making a song unique.



Q&A

Ehco is...?

... well it's sort of 3 things, its myself and the music I create alone, it's the music I create and perform with Jessie Lord, and its the music myself Jessie and the other 3 members create and perform together.
I played in a band called Enemies from around 2006 until 2016, in the years leading up to Enemies end point I had been messing around with producing my own electronic music. 
When I came out the other end of my journey with Enemies it seemed only natural to start my new musical venture based on what I had been playing around with.
EHCO started out with its main focus on me and the music I was producing, but as time has gone on and the five of us have become more connected as a band, we're now moving in a more collaborative/unified direction, its really great, it's been interesting to see how things have developed over time.


Who inspired you to make music in general?

Well my first love when I was very very young was Queen, then on the Christmas of 1991 my brother got a double CD comp called "Best of Dance '92" and I was opened up to my first taste of dance music like The Prodigy, Snap, SL2 and 2 unlimited, timeless bangers really. 
A few years later I tilted away from Dance music and towards bands like Nirvana, it was actually the dance remix of Smells Like Teen Spirit that served as the bridge for me. It was then, around 1994 that I started playing guitar and drums and making music.


Why did you select "When we were kids", what was the crucial factor to remix this song?

Well at the start of this year, 2021, I was actually taking a break from music, I realised I had never taken a step back since I started over 25 years ago. I had lots of other things to focus on while the country went back into lockdown so I took advantage of the circumstances. 
Lisa reached out to me on the 2nd of January and asked if I was interested in remixing any of the 4 tracks on her upcoming EP. I had pretty much already made my mind up that I would decline but had a listen through the EP out of curiosity. 
When I heard "When We Were Kids" I couldn't resist taking it on, it just had a tone and feel that screamed at me to work with it. When I replied to Lisa she said she knew I'd go for that one haha.


If you create a mix, what are the dos and don'ts in your opinion?

Hmmmm the dos and don'ts..
For me, I prefer when a remix holds on to the essence of the original in someway, so that when the listener hears the remix they can recognise that it's a different version of the original song.
I'm not so into remixes where that's lost, like when a few sounds have been plucked and looped and turned into something abstract and unrecognisable from the original.


What is your creative process like?

In regards to remixes, I like to try and utilise every, or as many of the original sounds available within the song I'm working with. If there is a lot to work with I'd usually make up the entire sound from the samples I've cut from the original, and maybe just add in some extra beats and textures. 
But in cases like the two Liza Flume songs I've worked with, they are quite minimal, so once I've extracted what I am going to use from the original I'll treat the track as one of my own and build sounds from varying sources, synths, VST's, samples etc. and let the vocal line carry the essence of the track.

In general, my creative process is kind of messy, sometimes I feel like I'm sculpting from a giant block, and I'm not quite sure what it is I'm sculpting until a shape begins to emerge. Sometimes I feel a bit of tension when I'm writing, as if I'm constantly trying to steer it away from things I don't like, then other times it can just flow out in a really magical way.


Do you remember your first ever self written song?

I do indeed, I've made sure to keep that in my accessible memory throughout the years. It was called "Lost Life" and its as ridiculous a song as you can imagine an 11 year old in 1994 would write ..I'm sure 11 year olds are writing masterpieces in this day and age haha. 
But yeah, I can still play it, it's performed exclusively on the low E string of an acoustic guitar, and the lyrics are from the perspective of a man who had been incredibly successful but lost it all.


What's your most useful talent besides music?

I began training to become a psychotherapist earlier this year, in that time I have been encouraged in ways that have made me feel that I am made for this line of work. 
Maybe some wouldn't call that a talent, but out of the things I am good at, helping people with their mental/emotional health would be the most useful by far.


What was the first ever Pop/House/Electro... song you listened to or remember on?

The Prodigy "Out Of Space" is the first that comes to mind from that life changing double disc compilation I mentioned earlier.


What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

That's a really tough one, they're both so valuable in their own way. I guess a really great live gig has the potential to trump a really great studio session. Both can make me transcend in ways, but the experience a memorable live gig with an incredible crowd can offer is incomparable. Having said that, I would consider myself more of a studio musician than a live performer.


What’s next for you?

I've written quite a lot of material over the past 2 years, or since things like lockdowns became a reality. In the Autumn just gone myself and the other members of EHCO were in a position to start playing together in the studio again. We've been approaching our live performance from a whole different angle, and working through some of the material I've written to see what works. 
It's more of a live instrumentation process, whereas before the live set was like; 50% human 50% electronic, its now more like; 85% human 15% electronic. It's very exciting but it's taking time to find our feet in this new approach, it feels like a very positive fresh start. 
Once we have a 3 or 4 of the songs well established we're hoping to put out an EP and a few live performance videos. We're really excited to get back gigging, we've been offered a good few that have been hard to turn down since things opened back up, we all miss it so much, but we're taking our time and making sure we are really ready before taking to the stage again. We hope to release that and play a number of shows starting from around late Spring 2022.






NenesButler presents - Music Blog - Submit your Music 

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist