Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

SUNDAY HUNTER: The Artist behind "Bleeding hearts club"

Sunday has previously fronted pop/rock bands, electronic/experimental duos and is now honing her craft as a solo artist and producer.

Sunday Hunter

Sunday is a singer/song-writer musician, originally from Coffs Harbour, who recently moved to Brisbane! She produces her own unique blend of modern alternative hyper pop songs that fuse together gritty guitar riffssweeping synthspunchy beats and disparate vocals.
Sunday has previously fronted pop/rock bands, electronic/experimental duos and is now honing her craft as a solo artist and producer. She has previously supported treasured Aussie artists such as Sneaky Sound System and Magic Dirt! After having a break from the music industry Sunday is back and coming in hot!


Q&A

Sunday is...?

Sunday is a singer/songwriter musician who produces her own music. Her music is a unique blend of modern alternative synth-pop sounds that fuse together gritty guitar riffs, sweeping synths, punchy beats and disparate vocals.


Who inspired you to make music in general ...and especially to the song "Bleeding hearts club"?

My mother was a major source of inspiration for me. When I was young she always had interesting music playing in the house I grew up in and would tape Australian music countdown TV shows which she often re-played on the TV. 
Beat-wise, Bleeding Hearts Club was inspired by Dizzy Rascals first album "Boy in the Corner" where the guitar solo sound is inspired more by Prince. The inspiration for the lyrics came generally from the times we live in, where we all are slaves to the systems of society.


What is your creative process like and did you change it for this release?

Usually when writing a new song I start with the beats, the drumline. From there I add bass and synths, guitars and the other instrumental elements. Once the song is complete instrumentally I aim to find lyrics that fit the mood of the song. 
After the lyrics have been found it is all about fine-tuning for me and getting the track release ready. I didn't change it for this release.


What can we expect from your upcoming EP?

The upcoming EP, which will hopefully be dropping early this year, will be a five track EP - I don't want to give too much away but there will be similar sounds to what you've heard but also some that are very different!


What's your most useful talent besides music?

I think my most useful talent besides music is probably drawing, and while it's not particularly useful, I can do pretty decent accent impressions!


Sunday is a singer/song-writer musician from Brisbane!How would you describe 2021 in a sentence?

Despite the pandemic, 2021 was probably my most productive year in regards to completing studies and releasing new music!


What was the first ever Pop/Rock/etc. ... song you listened to or remember on?

The first ever song I listened to was probably either Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple or In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly.


What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

That's a hard one because they both have pros and cons. Live gigs can be both good and bad, where studio sessions can be productive or unproductive. I haven't gigged for a while so it's a bit hard for me to say right now but am hoping to get back into it next year.


Do you remember your first ever self-written song?

Yep, I wrote it when I was 7-years old and was it called "The Light". It was so terrible, even my mother, who has always been a huge supporter of mine couldn't stand it!


What’s next for you?

I have big plans for 2022! In a few weeks I'll be releasing a music video for my single "Reckless Deadly" and my EP will be dropping
I also have a number of other upcoming projects in the works including more collaborative works with Smitn. Other than that, I'm hoping to get back into the gig scene and potentially form a band.


Photos: Renee Brazel Photography


NenesButler presents - Music Blog - Submit your Music 

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist