Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

"No Repeats" by Ruto

Ruto

Ruto is a Southcentral LA native recording artist dedicated to connecting the diverse styles of LA into an ambient and eclectic sound. Being self-taught from an early age, Ruto found his voice in blending the melodies and rhythms of jazz, punk, and soul into chill and dynamic grooves.
When not on stage, Ruto is studying his craft always grinding forward to hone his sounds and appreciation for the music that inspire him to create. They push forward with a DIY mentality, looking to produce art with aspiring artists all working to foster a community of self-sufficiency and collaboration.

spotify     soundcloud     bandcamp     instagram


No Repeats

Heute haben wir den Singer/Songwriter und Multi-Instrumentalisten Ruto bei uns zu Gast. Sein Track "No Repeats" ist zwar schon etwas älter aber dennoch sehr hörenswert. "Dieses Lied entstand aus der Frustration, in jemanden mit Angstzuständen und Depressionen verliebt zu sein.", so der Künstler selbst. 
Im Wissen das die Krankheit allgegenwärtig ist und einem Alles abverlangen wird, Situationen kaum steuerbar sind, versucht man doch das Unmögliche zu schaffen und die Hoffnung nicht aufzugeben. Letztendlich ist es die Liebe die dem Leben die Form gibt und einen verändert hat. 
Musikalisch bietet Ruto Easy Listening in Kombination mit Experimental Sounds, sowie jazzig chillige Vibes die für Spannung und Dynamik sorgen. Die Soundlandschaft bunt, abwechslungsreich und sehr ausdrucksstark. Die Vocals, mit einem Hauch Soul versehen, prädestiniert, das Talent des Multi-Instrumentalisten nicht zu überhören. "No Repeats" by Ruto more than just talented.



Q&A

Ruto is...?
Ruto

Quite literally Ruto is a reference to my favorite video game the Legend of Zelda, as for who Ruto is as an artist, that is a little more complicated then that. Initially the name for a band I recruited and collaborated with, it eventually became my stage name as I began to focus more on solo work. 
Ruto at its core is ever evolving but comes from a place where I feel at home. From sounds and history of south central LA to the color to and aesthetic of my Central American roots. I infuse what inspires me into my work and I find myself finding new things everyday.


Who inspired you to make music in general?

It gives me life so I compose and write to honor that feeling of gratitude. When I first began to learn guitar and study music, it helped me get out of some dark places. 
I owe my life to being able to focus on something so open and beautiful as music. I often imbue my experiences into what I write but the music will always come from a place of appreciation for the life I’ve had chasing my dream.


Your latest track "No Repeats" sounds great, is there a true story behind it?

Yes and no, it started as a combination of different experiences mainly about past relationships. I then took that and flipped the lens on myself asking who I was in those situations and where I needed to grow as a person. 
In the end the song became a narrative of how depression and anxiety often creates hurdles where there doesn’t need to be and how difficult that can be when trying to express love for someone else.


You played everything on the track by yourself, what was the most difficult part?

Not getting stuck in a certain mindset. When playing a vacuum you tend to repeat the same things. Melodies, tones, especially ideas that I may not want to let go and don’t serve the song. 
With no band to bounce ideas with I had to pretend I was someone else with ever instrument I performed. I had become a band and then condense that into one person, one sound, one voice.


What is your creative process like?

Depends on my mood to be honest, but over the years I’ve turned into a combination of my bad habits. I use procrastination or random writing sessions to jumpstart creative flows. 
When I’m on that mindset I write everything down and then take it step by step once I have an idea that I can’t let go. It’s not always something I like in the end but it’s allows me to find my best self in the process.


What's your most useful talent besides music?

I make a mean guacamole lol. I’ve been told I’m good at being people together. Before the pandemic I was involved in hosting shows and organizing community events. 
When I’m not working on music I tend to put my focus on community engagement.


If we would ask your friends, what's typical "Ruto", what would be the answer?

My commitment to being myself, which may sound like a weird answer. I don’t bend for other people or ideas and I think that shows in the music I make. Everything I do is 100% my own way.


What do you prefer, a live gig or a studio session?

I would have said live gigs but since working on this single and the rest of my upcoming music I’ve found peace in studio work. 
It helps that I do everything from home, but it’s mainly cause I can do things at my own pace as apposed to pleasing a venue or audience. I enjoy the energy of a live gig but not at the cost of my peace of mind.


Do you remember your first ever self-written song?

Yeah, it was so fun to work on something on my wine for the first time, but after recording it I relaxed I was trying to hard to sound like the bands I grew up listening too. It was odd combo of nirvana and queens of the Stone Age. Super guitar heavy but loud and fun to play.


What’s next for you?

I just finished releasing my first set of singles and I’m looking forward to the release ig my first album, Pan Dulce. It’ll be out in March of this year, 10 songs all developed during these last few years. Self recorded, played the works! 
After that I have a few schemes up my sleeve that I’ll make into reality towards the rest of the year.


Photo credits: No.1 (@no.1shoots)



NenesButler presents - Music Blog - Submit your Music 

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist