Skip to main content

Featured

Nostalgic Authenticity: “Big Time” by Rogue FX and Mayah Camara

“Big Time” by Rogue FX and Mayah Camara Today, we’re opening the gates to our blog in classic style – classic '80s synth-pop, to be precise. Whenever the words ‘80s’ and ‘synth-pop’ are mentioned, Rogue FX is never far behind. Drawn to the essence of that decade, he dives deep to retrieve a flawless pearl and then showcases it in his musical shop window.  His latest track is called “Big Time,” a collaborative project with Retrowave/Nu-Soul artist Mayah Camara . The story revolves around a relationship at a crossroads, caused by the success and fame of one partner who has reached the “big time” mentioned in the title. Jealousy and insecurity take hold, but there’s a shared hope that the relationship can survive and grow.  Rogue FX cleverly packages this story in the big-city vibe of the '80s, creating an emotional counterpoint to the relationship through his astute selection of sound and rhythm – the big-time lifestyle of that era. From the start, the listener experiences the

"Stained Glass" by Joelle Charan

Joelle Charan

"Stained Glass" by Joelle Charan

Joelle Charan released her latest single Stained Glass some weeks ago, remixed and mastered by John Reynolds (U2 & Brian Eno), combining modern pop music with orchestral strings and an Indian instrumentation. Through cinematic, theatrical harmonies the track radiates a fairytale-like imagery.

facebook     instagram     twitter     tiktok     spotify


Joelle Charan is...?

Joelle Charan, musician
My mother is Catholic, my father is Hindu, and I was born and raised in Amsterdam. I was raised in an open-minded home, and I will always admire my parents for that. Neither of them imposed their faith on me. Instead in our house, the same candle was lit for both beliefs, and mutual respect and empathy existed for each other.
My musical style represents my identity. With it, I strive to contribute to the healing of Indian-Surinamese collective injury. By bringing ancient Indian instruments into a modern context, I hope to introduce more people to my heritage's beautiful sounds, which may be unfamiliar to them. My parents set an incredible example blending eastern and western ideals in our home. By following them, I really hope my music can in some way help to break the cycle of prejudiced attitudes, which are still too prominent in today's society.

My upcoming album is mixed and mastered by renowned producer John Reynolds, known for his work with the likes of U2, Brian Eno, Damien Rice and Sinéad O’Connor. It is built around the word “Ashira”, which means "I will sing." I sing for my family, my people, and myself. The music is grounded in a message of forgiveness and empowerment against hate and injustice. With this collection of songs, I want to explore the inner depths of my memories and emotions, fusing ancient east and modern west in my sound to honour my own truth. I hope to offer a cathartic experience to those who listen to my lyrics, encouraging love and acceptance for yourself and others.
My father is a descendant of indentured labourers from northwest India who worked under Suriname's harsh conditions following the abolition of slavery. They were called 'koelies' by the colonial oppressor: unschooled wage slaves who lived an inhuman existence. Throughout my life, I have been called a 'koelie' by different people I have met. I also faced other forms of discrimination and prejudice. 
In recent years, I was held in custody at a US airport because I had a “different” surname. I try to respond to these types of discrimination with defiance. I feel empowered by my mixed heritage and religions, and I want to integrate both into my music. It feels very empowering to develop a sound that celebrates who I am, my mixed heritage, and religions. To me, it feels like I'm no longer trapped by the injustices of my family's past. By reclaiming my name and integrating Indian elements into my music, I pay tribute to my roots and feel a sense of freedom to look forward and dream of the future.


Who inspired you to make music in general?

My parents had a piano when I was still in my mum’s belly. My dad used to play pieces by Chopin and Beethoven on it. That’s where my love for playing the piano comes from. When I was a baby, my mum recalls me recognising the same melodies my dad would play. So I’d already listened to music before I was born.
During lower school, I hated singing in the obligatory school choir and mimed instead. My favourite teacher noticed that; she told me I sang beautifully and that I should take up singing lessons. I took her advice and over the years singing became my greatest passion.
After school, I went on to study music - singing with piano, songwriting and arranging - at the Conservatory of Amsterdam. Upon graduating, I moved to New York to deepen my knowledge of singing and songwriting at The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music in Manhattan. I was honoured to receive generous scholarships from the Conservatory as well as the prestigious Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds. 
During my time in New York, I discovered my genuine love and appreciation for Indian music and went to many concerts. I remember immediately being fascinated by their spirituality from the first time I heard them: the hypnotic ragas and entrancing soundscapes inspired by nature they played.
I always try to write something new for every song’s production. In that way I keep developing my skills. One day I want to write for a full orchestra, but for now the sonic images that lift the lyrics on my upcoming album have become my 'in between’.

What's the story behind your song "Stained Glass", what was your inspiration, respectively ?

Joelle Charan, singersongwriter
This song is meant to be a message of hope. Sometimes it’s better to just fall and start over, no matter how fragile you are. To break and learn to heal after the blow. I myself felt very fragile writing this song, turning imperfection into a piece of music I hope listeners will enjoy hearing. During my early childhood, the first times my mixed culture and religions faced each other I felt a serenity I’ve come to feel a melancholic longing for. 
Too often have I faced racism and prejudice in the years that followed, always leaving a stain. “Stained Glass” captures the memories of my childhood, but also grapples with what it means to be human, to be flawed and to grow through pain. This song is an ode to the Indian diaspora, and in it I reach back to my roots, searching for a future that could overcome the hate and inequality that has stood in the path of my family, my people and many others for so long. My family’s history is spirited, echoing strongly, but defining moments of unfairness in my life have threatened to bruise or shatter me, just like it would the glass.
Furthermore, “Stained Glass” became a personal exploration of religion rooted in my dad’s Indian and mum’s Catholic heritage. My love for stained glass windows was sparked from an early age, having visited religious places with my parents for as long as my memories stretch back. We always lit a candle and said a prayer together as a family. Also, I became fascinated with exploring the double meaning of “stained glass”: on the one hand those magnificent coloured windows, standing proud as a symbol of romanticised beauty, while at the same time being “stained”, perhaps “blemished” or “damaged”. 
Finally, I try to spark food for thought with my lyrics and transport listeners into euphoric fantasies with my soundscapes. By doing so, I hope to contribute in some small way to a world distinguished by unity and love. For “Stained Glass”, being a soft pop ballad, I had a clear vision in mind for the arrangements and production. I worked with John to create lots of space, a dreamy atmosphere with surprising twists and accents from a string quartet and Indian sounds that celebrate my roots.


What's in your opinion the most time intensive part concerning songwriting?

For me inspiration comes in sudden bursts: unexpected yet joyful moments in which a musical or lyrical idea emerges. The most intensive part of songwriting for me is definitely taking that rough idea or sketch and fine-tuning it, until it matures into a song. That can take days, months, even years.
While songwriting I start envisioning which instruments I’d like to use in the song, such as a string quartet, harp, sitar and drums. Subsequently, I write vocal and instrumental arrangements. In the last step I record my lead and backing vocals in the studio, as well as the piano and keys. Also, I lead the session musicians through studio recordings for their parts.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

John Mayer or Norah Jones


What are your "All time Top 3 Songs", right now, in this second?

1. Pocahontas - Just Around the Riverbend
2. Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles
3. Vishal-Shekhar & Shreya Ghoshal - Khabar Nahi


What's your most useful talent besides music?

Art has been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember. Trips to museums and art galleries with my parents as a child sparked my initial appreciation. I soon noticed that it was often Impressionism, Asian art and modern art depicting the elements that captured my imagination the most. My dad is an incredible painter and drawer, and his beautiful paintings hung all around my childhood home. I think I inherited my artistic talents and love for painting and drawing from him. 
My visual memory is closely associated with sounds: the image of a bird flying gracefully in the sky sounds like a harp to me, while a black ink drop on paper sounds like electric guitars and a raging tabla. I usually find inspiration in graceful lines with lots of movement, pastel colours, and scenes from nature. My mind wanders to fill in the details of any moment or encounter and to translate what I see into songs.
My experience of music is as much visual as it is auditory. My photographic memory captures moments vividly from which the stories of my songs develop and change, and the emotions of an encounter escape, to take on a new form in lyrics and compositions. Other times my subconscious takes over, morphing memories with imagination to create entirely new worlds and fantasies.


What’s next for you?

At the moment I’m working on new music, but first I plan to release singles and then my debut album in 2023. I try to get heard and noticed as an independent singer-songwriter as often as possible. Finally, I’ll carry on the hard work of building up my fanbase.





SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist