Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

A dark cinematic soundscape by... Arcmard - "Without what made me"

Arcmard

Today we are able to present Joe Archard from East London, Sound designer, producer and of course an extraordinary artist. Listen to his latest release called "Without what made me" and check out the short interview we did with Joe!


Who is the human behind the artist Arcmard?

Real name is Joe Archard from East London, I've always been intrigued with sound design, especially analogue synths being used in creative ways. growing up in London during the rave scene was a big part in the music I was exposed to and shaped a lot of what I do today. 
I was heavily into the darker side of the music listening to hyper on experience, DJ crystal etc. As the scene started to split into sub genres I found myself listening to electro and breaks more especially anything which was out on fuel records. I always had Radiohead, Portishead, Massive Attack and the likes on the side which heavily influence a lot of my music today.


How did you get into music?

I started out with an Amiga 500 and a tracker called Octamed back in the day, I was largely making drum and bass then and had a release at 16 years old on Big City Records who were based in London and probably the only studio in London using Octamed !!!..fun times


"Without what made me" sounds amazing, what's the story behind it, what was your inspiration respectively?

I usually hold onto to any situation, piece of art or video scene which makes me feel tense, i then make the music based on that, it works for me. 
I surround myself with Stanley Donwood art which alsp helps.Altough, I'm very much into sound design and sound manipulation so sometimes the idea stems from just creating which is the case with this track.


How much time do you spend to find the right sounds for a song?

It really depends on how I feel about the sounds as the track evolves, sometimes it is right from the get go and others won't find their destination until the very end, even in mixdown in some cases.


What was in your opinion the last big turn in music history?

Radiohead, Kid A, just a brilliant way to evolve music and remove the need for genre ceilings for any musician.


When I come to Barcelona, where do I have to go to find good music (location/pub/club ...)?

Primavera, Sonar....too many options for such a small city.


What was the last song where you turned up the volume?

Dave Tipper , where's jack the ripper....... Just an amazing remix and the low end sound design is filth!!


What’s next for you?

Next, another album to follow up the last one I did Error 1202 which I really enjoyed making.




Artists of the Week! - The Playlist