Skip to main content

Featured

“Walk Through the Morning Dew of Sound with The Holy Mountain’s ‘Searing Light’

“Searing Light” by The Holy Mountain “Searing Light” by The Holy Mountain is a musical gem that embodies emotional cleansing or liberation. In a world where negative feelings and experiences often weigh heavily on us, this song offers a refreshing approach. The unique instrumentation creates a new dimension that transports the listener to another sphere. Catharina Janner Røeds’ captivating vocals float above the music like a delicate mist, enveloping the soul. This singing builds a tension field that aligns well with the theme of life’s duality.  Walking in the light can be both uplifting and overwhelming. It can symbolize death as well as life. Light is often associated with good, yet here it is also portrayed as potentially dangerous. This ambivalence is reflected in the soundscape. The sublime soundscape of “Searing Light” contrasts with the pop rhythm, which somehow reminds me of A-ha. This contrast lends the piece a special rarity. The extraordinary sounds, which almost create

From the Past to the Future: "Memory Aisle (EP)" by Sergio Napoletano

Sergio Napoletano

Memory Aisle by Sergio Napoletano

His new EP, ‘Memory Aisle’, is a collection of songs conceived and developed over the last few years while working from home and finding new ways to record and layer ideas. The songs reflect on the past and look forward to a future of new paths and formative experiences.




Who is the human behind the artist Sergio Napoletano or how would you describe yourself?

I am a first generation American born and raised in NYC. Influenced by my Italian and Peruvian roots and traveling to the west coast for summers as a kid to visit family, I’d like to think of myself as bicultural, bicoastal and bilingual. Let’s just say that I can adapt easily and not much surprises me.


How did you get into music or would you rather say the music found you?

I grew up around my father playing Neapolitan music on guitar as if they were nursery rhymes. His nylon string classical guitar was always around me and I finally learned to play some chords when I was about 12 or 13 years old. It took me long enough but once I got the sound and strum down, I never stopped.


"Memory Aisle" sounds great, what's the story behind the song?

I actually wrote the song one summer day at my parents house after not playing on those nylon strings for a long while. The words came to me easier than on other songs because I remember thinking I wanted it to be a bit drawn out so you can hear the melody notes as clear as the guitar part. 
The moment itself as well as the instrument I played on all added to the idea that the song is based on; reflecting on memories and the roads they take us down.


What can listeners expect from your EP and which song is the most personal one?

The songs on this EP aren’t tied to any one genre specifically. I would say it’s more of a piece from each album of mine that came before it. 
‘Memory Aisle’ is sort of a culmination of everything to date stylistically and the most personal in that it’s a song of reflection and renewal. It’s always hard to leave a place you knew too well but it’s not a reason to forget the times that formed the road you’re currently on.


...and last but not least what's next for you?

I’d love to start playing shows again and get back to recording more songs I have in the works to add to these for a possible full length in the near future.







Photo credits: Peter Boghard

SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist