Skip to main content

Featured

‘Soul’ by NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE: A Daring Ride Through Psychedelic Rock ‘n’ Soul

‘Soul’ by NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE We sharpen our digital pencil and, of course, also sharpen our ears to say: Welcome back to NenesButler presents. NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE (NDX) is back and continues their journey with their new single ‘Soul. ’ The new release starts with a bang and offers pure variety . For those unaware: NDX are the psychedelic rock ‘n’ soul rulers from the foggy streets of London, the messengers of epic soul rock .  ‘Soul,’ their latest masterpiece, ignites like a fuse hurtling toward a musical explosion that cannot be stopped. And when it explodes, it does so with full force! Responsible for this crackling energy is none other than the award-winning drum king from New York, Josh Van Ness , who, in congenial collaboration with Ian Whiteling , the singer already revered for his distinctive voice, creates magic. You don’t have to wait long because then comes the grand detonation, where Jack Dawkins enters the stage on saxophone, playing a role heavier than the universe i

Built on freedom: "New Silhouettes" by Skar de Line

Skar de Line

Skar de Line

"... is an English artist, born and raised in Sweden. Influences from cinematic soundtracks, hip-hop and electronic metal all come together to create dark commercial hooks, with his lyrics trying to ask more questions than he can answer.
He believes in freedom, unpredictability and perfection. His desperate search for ways to break the lines we set up around ourselves defines him. All leading to the question; if you make your own rules, can you ever be wrong?" (-Skar de Line-)



Q&A

Who is the "human" behind the artist Skar de Line?

Skar de Line is really an amplification of the human Oskar Abrahamsson. I take the core emotions, the most human tendencies in my normal life, and put them into what you see and hear as Skar de Line. 
It’s a way to dive deeper into who I am, and who we all are. What drives us, what do we want, what do we need, in the most human way possible. So, in a way, Skar de Line is the human behind the mask of Oskar Abrahamsson.


How did you get into the music biz?

I’ve done music since before I could talk. I stood on stage when I was 5 years old and started writing my own songs very early and haven’t stopped to this day. When I was 19 I moved to London, took a degree in Music and I’ve made music here without looking back since.


What's the story behind your latest release "New Silhouettes"?

It's built on freedom. In your own silhouette, you have freedom, you have the choice to be whoever or whatever you want. But can your choice be to not make a choice, and to be everything you can imagine? But if we are everything, isn’t that the same as being… nothing?
Where Reset (my previous release) was about haunting the best version of yourself, this is about living the best version of yourself and what that means. As New Silhouettes is directly connected to my previous release Reset both musically and lyrically, this song is about stepping into the sunlight, with the power over who you are right in the palm of your hand.


How would you describe your creative process?

Skar de Line, Oskar Abrahamsson
As humans, what we feel now is a reaction to yesterday, and will lead to something tomorrow. Instead of cramming everything into one song, this song is part of a bigger arc, which lets me dive a little deeper into each emotion, as I don’t need to start from scratch.
Starting off, I had a feeling for where the general emotion and concept were and pinpoint that down. That lead me to write it all out instrumentally when I knew the feel of it already. I then map out all the vocal lines, before finally getting the real lyrics down. After that I start exploring the themes I laid down from the beginning, in this case, the silhouettes, sun and shadows, creating your own past and future, and start visualizing it and storyboarding. Then I work with a team to film and photo my ideas before I edit and finish up all the visuals myself.
My creative process is very much in my own head. I love to work with people around me, but everything first needs to make sense in my head. If the core idea is not in place then there is no point in getting to work. The creative process can be very lonely and madding sometimes, but it’s also extremely rewarding exploring places in your mind you haven’t been before and digging deeper into uncharted territory.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

Right now, I’m interested to work with people a little outside of my field. New producers, new filmmakers, new visual artists, new creators. People to come in with different skills to feed off from.


What’s next for you?

I have more coming up around New Silhouettes. A cinematic music video dropping now on July 29th. A lot more exciting content around New Silhouettes. Looking beyond that, I think you will be excited to hear about the next release, which will take a real classic renaissance turn. More news coming soon ;)



Artists of the Week! - The Playlist