Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

A state of emotional chaos: "Riot" by IRYS

IRYS

IRYS

Since starting her project in 2021, Berlin-based singer, songwriter, and producer IRYS has quickly been named as one of the most impressive dark pop newcomers internationally - captivating fans and critics with her dark aura and gift for creating remarkable songs. The up-and-coming starlet has since been compared to big names like Grimes, Charli XCX, Tove Lo, and Lana Del Rey.
Fusing elements of indie electronica, neo-goth, and trip-hop, IRYS creates her own brand of dark, edgy electro-pop, uniting the sonic rawness of the Berlin underground with effortlessly catchy hooks.
Part of a new wave of independent artists, IRYS works with a completely DIY approach, writing, recording, and producing all her music in her bedroom. In a short time, the multi-talent went from making songs with her acoustic guitar to producing; adding beats and electronic sounds to the mix, and thus being able to dress her songs into their own soundscape.

soundcloud     spotify     instagram     youtube



IRYS is ..?

I'm a Berlin-based singer, songwriter, and producer, and I make dark electro-pop influenced by genres like goth, synth-pop, and trip-hop. I started my project in 2021 and, since then, put out seven singles independently. Someone once wrote IRYS is a "DIY warrior", which pretty much nails it, in my opinion!


How did you get into music?

I've always been making music! As a kid, I sang in a choir, played guitar, and danced. Later I started making songs with my voice and guitar. Writing was initially something I did more or less for myself, like a form of therapy. 
When I moved to Berlin some years ago, I started working with different musicians and producers but quickly found this was not the right path for me. My music never sounded how I imagined, so I learned to produce it myself! 
I'm glad I made this decision, as this gave me many opportunities and enabled me to pull off my project independently. I then started putting out my music in 2021, and since then, I've been working on establishing my solo project.


What was your inspiration for "Riot"?

"Riot" is about a state of emotional chaos that can only be understood in retrospect. I'm looking back on a traumatizing situation and trying to make sense of it, to kind of sort it into my timeline so that I don't need to ruminate on it anymore.
The meaning of the song just came along while I was making the track. I rarely have a clear concept in mind before I start writing. In this case, I just mumbled the word "riot" into my mic and thought, "That's gonna be the song title! ". And then I built the lyrics around it.


Singer, Songwriter & Producer ... what do you prefer most?

I think being a songwriter is my favorite part of the process! I love to sing, and producing is exciting too, but to be honest: both are just a means to an end for me! I wanna make great songs, and good vocals and production are a part of that. But what really excites me is the process of finding melodies and words and creating a special atmosphere with those elements.


What's in your opinion the most time intensive part as a producer?

I would have definitely said mixing if you had asked me some months ago! But that's actually not true; I think it's more the sound design! If the shaping of the sounds is done well, the mixing, in my experience, is done fairly quickly.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

I'd say, Russ! This may sound a bit surprising as his music is so different from what I do. And I have no idea how that collaboration would turn out musically! But I love how Russ approaches his music and career, so he is very much on top of the list.


The perfect venue in Berlin is …?

One of the places everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime is, of course, the Berghain!


What's next for you?

The rest of the year will be quite busy for me! I have four more releases coming up, plus a video or two, and right now, I am applying for festivals for autumn 2022 and early 2023. Also, a remix of my song "Ride or Die" is dropping soon

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist