Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

... of pain and heartbreak: "Hollow" by Kit Citrine

Kit Citrine

Kit Citrine

Kit Citrine (they/she) is a dynamic pop rock singer, songwriter, and music producer. Audiences call Kit “a powerhouse with a strong voice and a stronger message” whose music is “raw emotion mixed with poetic and clever imagery.” From high-energy ear worms to somber yet hopeful anthems of self-actualization, Kit writes deeply honest, vulnerable music that speaks to your soul.



Kit Citrine is…?

To describe myself, I’d say Kit Citrine is a singer, songwriter, and music producer who creates indie pop, rock, and alternative music. So far, I’ve written based on my own experiences. I care about topics some people shy away from, like grief and mental health.


Do you remember your first steps in music?

I started singing first. I’ve been singing for as long as I can remember. I started taking formal vocal lessons and performing at gigs in my community as a cover artist when I was 11. It was something I was passionate about from a young age.


"Hollow" is an amazing mixture of Rock, Dark-Pop with a twist of Gothic, what's the story behind it?

Kit Citrine, Orlando
The story is one of pain and heartbreak. I wrote the song after my dad passed away earlier this year. 
It became my lifeline to cope with the immense loss. “Hollow” represents feelings of fresh grief, as well as the alienation I felt during that time, and the frustration of existing in a society that expects you to just move on and “get over it” when you are shattered and empty.


Singer, Songwriter and Producer ... What's the hardest part for you?

The producer role. It’s the one I’ve had the least experience doing so far. But that also makes it exciting in a way because I have so much room to learn and grow from here. I can’t wait to see what techniques I’ll learn and how my style will evolve as I go forward.


What can our readers expect from your upcoming Album "Midnight Masquerade"?

An emotional roller coaster. The album flows chronologically through my life over the past 2 years, including its ups and downs. Some of the songs are tragic and angry, some are more uplifting and triumphant, but they do all have a common thread of humanity and hope. That’s what I hope listeners will take away.


How would you describe Orlando's Indie Scene?

I’d say it’s flourishing. Orlando is home to so many different types of artists and styles of music. On a given night, there are places you can find just about any genre, lots of open mic nights, and live music at venues.


What are your Top 3 Songs at the moment?

Ooo, this is a fun question. 
I’m loving Demi Lovato’s entire “HOLY FVCK” album, though I think “EAT ME” is my favorite song on the album if I had to pick one. 
For my second pick, “Heart on Fire” by Paper Citizen. There’s something about the melody that’s so catchy and I find myself singing the chorus a lot randomly throughout the day. 
And for my third pick, I adore Kelly Clarkson’s cover of Billie Eilish’s “Happier Than Ever”.


Any chance to see you somewhere live on stage?

Not at the moment. I haven’t performed the songs from my album in person due to the pandemic, but I hope to be able to do that someday soon. 
You can sign up for my mailing list at kitcitrine.com if you are interested in hearing when I’ll be on stage next, as that group will likely be the first to know.


What's next for you?

I plan to write, produce, and release more music in 2023. I hope to keep releasing new singles on a regular basis, and I would love to perform live again too.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist