Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

Sometimes we lean too hard on a person ... : "Leaning" by DeEtta Jain

DeEtta Jain

DeEtta Jain

DeEtta Jain (pronounced dee-yetta jane) swims in the idea that there are no straight lines. Her life, her movement, her artistic expressions, and her healing are all rooted in the non-linear. 
This word “nonlinear” has propelled Jain and her music directly since 2016. It took about ten years of dance training in all styles before she realized music was her favorite part of the medium.



Who is the "human" behind the artist DeEtta Jain?

My name is DeEtta Jain, though I often just go by "Jain". I'm very passionate about spreading the nonlinear narrative. I've always felt like my existence lacks straight lines, and that there's a lot more room for change and forgiveness of the self when operating with that idea in mind. I grew up in Colorado training as a dancer in all styles. 
Once I switched high schools my junior year to attend an arts centered school, a lot of things began to click for me. The way sound and movement and fashion, as well as the art of capturing all of those mediums go together, absolutely struck me. I feel the most alive when I'm witnessing others do what they love or when I'm witnessing creation unfold. 
Although I isolate myself away quite often, I feel best when I'm collaborating or simply just in the presence of other people. People are magical. There's magic all around me and I try to sprinkle that into the music wherever it fits


"Leaning" sounds amazing, what's the story behind the song?

DeEtta Jain, "Leaning"
I originally wanted to write a song from the perspective of Selva in the movie "Climax" by Gaspar Noe. I fell deeply in love with her character. So, I made a rather shitty demo with that idea in mind. After my good friends and co-collaborators heard the demo they flipped it into a really gorgeous instrumental, saxophone and all. 
From there I continued writing and finding melodies until I realized I was no longer writing from the perspective of Selva. The track turned into something that was hiding deep in my subconscious. I know a lot of us have felt the sting and the disappointment that comes when we separate from a friend we thought would be around forever. 
It feels like glass breaking. I personally experienced a lot of stillness and melancholy and that is very much present in the track. Sometimes we lean too hard on a person and we lose them.


When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

I decide a song is ready for release when my gut tells me it's done. I don't ever like to hang on to something too long! I'm still learning a lot about how to bring a song to its maximum potential, and thankfully the people I create with really push me in that sense.


How do you feel the Internet (especially Social Media) has impacted the music business?

DeEtta Jain, Artist
I have a lot of mixed feelings about social media and the internet and its impact on the business. For instance, I probably wouldn't still be involved in the process of making music and rolling it out and finding new ways to perform and create if it weren't for social media. 
It's been such a wonderful way to continue meeting new people that want to work together. It's very special to me that anyone can participate and take it as far as they possibly can. With that, there's a lot of white noise. 
There's a lot of manipulation and illusion involved. There's a lot of really unique and advanced artists being looked over for not having reached certain numbers on various platforms. I find that unfortunate. It also takes a massive toll on an artist's mind. Balance becomes more difficult to implement. Peace is harder to come by.



How would you describe the Indie Scene in Denver?

The indie scene in Denver is cool. There's more of a variety than I think there's ever been before. It's been incredibly invigorating to witness N3ptune's journey. If you ever get the chance, you must see this person perform. I also think there's a bit of a disconnect. 
If you're not a folk band, a rock band, or a DJ it seems as though it's difficult to break in. Majority of people here want something that is easy to digest. I want to get real weird with it but it's cool! I've been organizing and hosting variety shows for myself and other artists trying to gain some traction that are less known or talked about. We're doing our own thing :)


Right now, in this second ... What are your "All Time Top 3 Songs"?

Right now, in this second, my top 3 favorite songs are 
BTSTU by Jai Paul, 
Stand It by Hook, and 
Starstruck by Santigold


What can we expect from you in the near future?

I've got a WILD music video dropping to accompany my next single The Twist to the Glitch. Release date is October 3rd (this might get pushed a week). On September 25th I'm hosting a video premiere party here in Denver at Leon Gallery. 
There's going to be a T2G inspired cocktail served across the street before the event, a really cool raffle for those that buy a ticket/show up, and an intimate performance by moi. I've been working on this project all year so I'm very excited



Photo credits: Kaia Miller

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist