Skip to main content

Featured

Caught Between Reality and Reverie: “Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite

“Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite “Woman in the Window” emerges like a delicate mist, its tendrils weaving through the listener’s senses. In the quietude of indie-folk, Elizabeth Cuite’s artistry blooms, inspired by the shadows of unfulfilled promises and the ache of longing. Each note is a dab of color on a canvas of emotions, and the resulting work is both haunting and exquisite.  The guitar strings resonate like whispered secrets, and Cuite’s voice, clear yet imbued with vulnerability, paints vivid scenes. The musical arrangement moves with delicate precision, honoring the essence of the story. The gentle plucking of the acoustic guitar echoes softly, akin to the sound of steps traversing an old wooden floor. Cuite’s poetic prowess writes tales of missed opportunities, of paths not taken, and of love that lingers like a half-remembered melody. Her words are fragile, yet they carry entire musical universes within.  Elizabeth Cuite blends indie-pop nuances with folk, creatin

The beauty of women encapsulated by a song: "Afua'' by tdotostudios

tdotostudios aka Theo Davis

tdotostudios

tdotostudios aka Theo Davis is a UK-based medical doctor by day and Silver-Award winning music producer by night. Despite working a busy job as a medical doctor, he demonstrates a notable musical CV. He scored his first UK Top 30 single as a producer with Azonto by Fuse ODG, which has achieved over 70 million views on YouTube alone. This song pioneered a new sound of UK afrobeats. With this in mind, he wants to innovate a new Afro-Lofi sound, combining the granular atmosphere of Lofi music with infectious afrobeat rhythms to create a chilled listening experience.

soundcloud     youtube     instagram     tiktok     spotify


Who is the "human" behind the artist tdotostudios?

I’m Theo Davis aka tdotostudios. I am a medical doctor by day and a Silver Award Winning music producer at night. I am of Ghanaian descent which hopefully you can tell from the colours of the AFUA artwork.


Who inspired you to make music in general?

Quite a few people inspired me:
Family and friends are super important to me. I believe it was my cousin Nathan helped to pique my interest in music and music production when I was about 13. He had rapped as part of a mixtape his cousin made called Breezy’s Mixtape. Listening to that mixtape inspired me to think about making my own music and it is amazing to see the journey I have been on so far. 
An eclectic mix of music was always playing in the family home - from gospel, soul to Motown. My faith in Jesus is really integral to why I make music. I serve in my church by playing the keys (piano) as part of my church band.


"Afua'' sounds amazing and creates a relaxing chillout sphere, what was your inspiration?

Interesting question, I feel that afrobeats is the most popular it has been. Back in 2011, I had produced a track called Azonto by Fuse ODG which helped to innovate and pioneer the genre of afrobeats, attaining UK Top 30 record and over 70 million views across all streaming platforms.
With this in mind, I felt that whilst there is a lot of chilled instrumental lofi hiphop music, there is very little instrumental music for lovers of afrobeats to relax to hence the birth of my own Afro-Lofi project called “Kofi’s Lofi”, which combines the granular/vintage atmosphere of lofi music with chilled afrobeats. For me I wanted to create a 3D listener experience to keep them immersed and engaged with the song.


What's the most difficult part of creating an instrumental track?

For me, the difficult part is having enough dynamic contrast and elements to keep the track engaging and interactive for the listener. In the absence of not having lyrics/vocals, you need to come up with creative ways of keeping listeners engaged (like using vocal samples, alternative melody lines etc.)


The best thing about being "Indie" is ...?

Creative freedom to release whatever music you want when you want


What's your favorite Venue in London?

Not sure if I have a favourite but I really enjoyed going to Hyde Park - went to see Paul Simon for his Farewell Tour with my Dad back in 2018.


Let us know a song you can't listen to anymore although it was a favorite one in the past?

I’m struggling to answer this question. Usually favourite songs of mine tend to remain as favourites and it’s hard to remove them from this accolade.


What’s next for you?

More afro-lofi releases as part of the Kofi’s Lofi project over the next year Collaborations with other producers and artists Other musical concept projects are also in the pipeline

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist