Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

...about the acceptation of our weaknesses and our fears... : "Hidden Side" by BEAR

BEAR

... is an electro pop duo from France, led by Rachel Balma on vocals and Adrien Sabathier on sound production. Carried by a vibrant and melodic song, BEAR honours a warm sound imprinted with those of the 1980’s. The modernity of the electronic textures and the singularity of the sound design give the project an intimate, electric and powerful atmosphere.

spotify     instagram     facebook


Who are the "humans" behind the duo BEAR?

BEAR is the reunion of two artists : Adrien Sabathier and myself. The project is the result of our sensibilities, inspirations and musical influencesWe are both multi-instrumentalists and composers.
Adrien found his first love in progressive rock and metal (Peter Gabriel, The Police, MAGMA, Lenny Kravitz, Pink Floyd…) as far as I am concerned I have listened to stirring voices : Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Jeff Buckley, Kate Bush, Björk… It’s a chance for us to connect all of this in our music.


How did you get into music?

I have always listened to music. My parents are music lovers and they shared with me what they enjoyed listening to. When I was 4, I discovered the diatonic accordion and it has become my principal music instrument until today. After that, my curiosity has driven me to the guitar, the piano and the electronic sounds.


What was your inspiration for "Hidden Side", what's the story behind the song?

I was in a guitar store and looking for a 12 strings guitar and when I tried one, my boyfriend showed me two open chords I didn’t ever know. It was beautiful and then when I found myself alone in the room, I started to sing on these chords and that’s how Hidden Side’s melody was born. I sent it to Adrien and that’s how we decided to work together.
Hidden Side is a song about the different personalities we can face of in our mind and the permanent fight inside ourselves. It’s a song about anxiety, about the doubts we have, and how we can rise above them. Hidden Side is about the acceptation of our weaknesses and our fears.


How is it to create a video ... is it an important part of the creative process or another way to express your art?

To me, a video gives meaning to the song. I need to connect a song to images when I compose. That’s why we released BEAR first single supported by a video.


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

In my dreams, I would love to work with Robert Plant, Peter Gabriel, Sia, Kate Bush, Becca Stevens, Adrianne Lenker or Cat Stevens. Sometimes dreams may become true…


Being an Indie artist is …?

I think we are an Indie artist when we propose a music which is not really mainstream and with some pop music codes.


What can we expect from you in the near future?

We are very happy about the reception of this first track. The second single is on its way. Can’t wait to share it with you!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist