Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

About greed & mercy: "Heartless call" by Delujn

Delujn

Delujn is ...?

Delujn began in my furnace room studio, testing, writing, recording melodies, compiling into songs, the odd remote collaboration but primarily just alone, haphazardly working into the evenings after coming home from an extremely dull day job. 
I wanted to make something massively lush that would demand the listeners immersion, that would with true escape...at the time I was genuinely struggling with some health issues, so the method was a tangible pressure dump of emotion & sound. 
Delujn would necessitate a large ensemble to recreate this work live, without the help of a sampler, and my intention is to build this into something more communal as I keep writing and creating, this all depends on finding an audience, so thank you for sharing this song with your readers/listeners.



How did you get into music, what were your first steps?

The initial spark was my grandfather's encouragement, he bought me a bass guitar after I lost interest in clarinet and piano lessons. Several of my friends were already starting bands and so it was natural to hang around them and learn without any set structure. 
Once I could maneuver around the fretboard passably, I started writing my own songs because no one in my world was writing original music, they were mimicking and covering their favorite songs and that was enough for them. I needed to create something new from nothing, even if it was debris. There was a vibrant local scene at the time before all the venues morphed into condos, so I just adored local & touring bands and collaborated with anyone that would have me.


What's the story behind your latest release "Heartless call"?

This is a song about greed & mercy, everything we build is eventually destroyed by the elements or death. Musically I was listening to Michael Rother and wanted the guitars to honour his influence, there's a melodic Peter Hooky bass and loose drums, I bought my first auto-wah pedal and so I used it too much lol!


The song has an amazing dream pop atmosphere, how long did you work on the track?

Thanks Wolf, I think I worked on it for several evenings over many months, the way I work is by bouncing back and forth between dozens of songs, adding parts until it feels like I'm almost wrecking it....then I hire a mixer hoping they'll reign it all in and identify the good parts.


What's in your opinion the hardest part to finish a song for a release?

Financials can be tricky when the worthy mixing/mastering engineers are quite expensive, I work in the evenings on music, because the cost of living is so high my non-musical career takes priority, so time and energy, motivations can be a battle. 
My equipment is mostly low-end analog stuff, so it breaks all the time as well, sometimes I try to utilize the broken sounds instead of fixing the gear.


What's in your opinion one of the most underrated songs?

Change by Anika, it should be HUGE!


Your first ever self-written song was about ...?

Oh, probably languishing about lost love


Victoria's indie music scene is ...?

I don't know much about what's happening these days, truthfully when I look at the local live music listings and scope out bands, there's nothing that has jolted me out of the house. Maybe I’m wrong, I dig pretty hard for new music and I’m just trying to find something distinctive. 
The best band on the west coast right now is Crack Cloud. I quit drinking so I don't plunder the bars like I used to, I'll go to Vancouver to see touring bands, Vancouver & Seattle seem alive again since restrictions lifted, there's a huge audience here of young people and one decent festival called Rifflandia...potential is huge in Victoria for a vibrant experimental music scene but musicians usually flee expensive cities and I’m hoping to flee soon.


What’s next for you?

I'm going to keep releasing singles every few months until I die

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist