Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

An apology...: "Dear Abbey" by Lo Monaco

Lo Monaco

... has developed a great desire to write and produce music that holds deep meaning and substance, both lyrically and melodically. He pulls from emotional life experiences to curate songs that show his vulnerability and that take the listener on a journey of the heart. “My goal is to create my own definitive sound that my listeners not only know and love, but ultimately resonate with.”



Who is the "human" behind the artist Lo Monaco?

A loving father and partner who has a deep desire to make his son proud through music. I want to show my son that he can be whoever he wants to be, so long as he puts the time and effort into his craft.
I love writing music from the heart. Every song I’ve released or plan to release comes from an honest and emotive part of me. In my opinion, there is no point in releasing something that doesn’t hold some sort of weight or meaning. The best songs that stand the test of time are the ones that people can relate to…
When I’m not writing music, spending time in the studio or gigging, I just love the simple things in life like spending time with loved ones, keeping fit in the gym and the odd night out or weekend away on the boat wakeboarding


Do you remember your first steps in music?

I sure do! I was 9 years old and music was already such a big part of my life due to my family culture. I asked for a guitar for my 10th birthday and I became obsessed. That’s where it all started. 
I still remember long trips up and down the coast where my dad would show me all his favourite albums, which consisted of bands like; INXS, U2, Dire Straights, Eagles, Matchbox 20, Prince and The Police. I was pretty lucky with the music I was introduced to at such a young age!




What was your inspiration for "Dear Abbey", what's the story behind it?

So often songs of heartbreak are frequently told from the perspective of the heart broken, not the heart breaker.
Dear Abbey is a letter written in song form; one that seeks to explore how past traumas can affect the present. It comes from a place of pain and regret within oneself.
The song is an apology for the pain inflicted from the one wielding the blunt end of the sword in a rebound. It captures the internal heartbreak and self destruction we often carry within ourselves, and the unexplainable way in which we sometimes unknowingly transfer and inflict this same heartbreak unto others.


What's the most difficult part of writing a song?

Definitely trying to find the perfect lyrics and vocal melody. I strongly believe that it is essential for the lyrics to match the the soundscapes and over all style and feel of the instrumentation. It would be strange to write sad and deep lyrics with a happy and bright melody, or visa versa


Your first ever self written song was about ...?

I wrote my first song when I was about 13/14 and it was your typical young love song hahaha! I still remember how to play it all, but it’s not really my style anymore. 
So I don’t know if I would ever release it or even try to produce it. Maybe one day I might revisit it and change it around a bit to suit my style now


What's in your opinion one of the most underrated songs?

GLORY - DERMOT KENNEDY
Dermot is so established now and is by far probably my favourite artist at the moment and biggest inspiration. Everyone is swooning over his latest stuff, which I can’t blame them for.
But his earlier moments in his career are so precious and special. His lyrics, production and ideas are just amazing in my opinion.
“GLORY” is probably my all time favourite track of his. It’s such a special song to me. If anyone is reading this and is new to Dermot, I urge you to go back and listen to his earlier stuff before his new stuff. He will blow your mind and make your cry at the same time.


How would you describe the Indie Scene in Newcastle?

Blossoming!!
Newcastle is home to so many amazingly talented indie artists and I feel special to be rubbing shoulders with some emerging artists in which I believe have a massive future in the industry.
If you have the time, check out some of these other indie artists from Newcastle Australia:

- DAPHZIE
- DANIEL MARCH
- NICK SAXON
- TRIP FANDINO


Any chance to see you somewhere live on stage?

Most definitely! I am currently organising an east coast tour of Aus off the back of this release. It will be fun to hit the road again! I am looking forward to connecting, making more friendships and networking!


What's next for you?

I’m currently working on an EP and Album. I’m trying to get them both finished and out as soon as possible! Unfortunately being an indie artist with a family to provide for makes it hard financially to be in the studio and pumping things out weekly.
But! I believe all great things take time. So I’m happy to just be enjoying the process for now!



Photo credits: Nick Saxon @ Cake Media

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist