Skip to main content

Featured

The Fear of Omnipresent Observation: ‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry

‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry On this very Friday, we whisk you away into the sublime yet shadow-laden realm of Goth Rock, where the heart of Post-Punk beats incessantly. The Silence Industry has recently set a benchmark with ‘The Crawling Eye’ that other artists will find difficult to surpass in the foreseeable future. Endowed with an impressive back catalog,  The Silence Industry approaches a topic of grave seriousness in their latest release. The track addresses omnipresent surveillance, shedding light on its profound implications as well as the personal apprehensions it evokes.   Musically, Graham Jackson creates a scene of distressing perfection, where elements of Death-Rock leave us breathless and the fear of omnipresent observation becomes palpable. Driven by a dark Post-Punk aura, Graham rises with a performance at the microphone that recalls memories of Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke). The artist not only succeeds in maintaining the tension for nearly seven minutes b

Electro Avant-garde meets Pop: "Starlight (10hz Alpha Waves)" by Wrené

Wrené

Through her unconventional song structure and experimentalism, Wrené mends the line between reality and surrealism in her work. She is an actor, poet, and vocalist fluent in many singing techniques. Wrene brings a unique sound to life through unorthodox musical arrangements and haunting vocal performance
Each song presents a story highlighted by the addition of foley sounds, original samples, and subliminal messages. The integration of Pop melodies, Avant-garde instrumentation, and soulful vocals lend themselves to an ethereal soundscape, where the counterpoints of beauty and darkness coalesce.




Wrené is..?

... a vocalist and music producer, with a deep curiosity for the dark and abstract! She is interested in pairing these sounds and strange textures with pop elements that are ear catching, and carries an unorthodox outlook on creating music.


"Starlight (10hz Alpha Waves)" is definitely a fine piece of Avant-Garde Electronic, what was your inspiration?

Thank you! I have been listening to a lot of binaural beats lately, and I wanted to create something funky in this realm. I thought it would be interesting to incorporate brainwave frequencies into these tracks by mixing them behind more experimental beats. I think the result of this sound puts you into a curious, but grounded state while listening.


What's in your opinion the most difficult part creating an instrumental song?

In my opinion, the process of creating an instrumental track was actually smoother than producing something with lyrics. 
When you take out or decide that there will be no lead vocal, it leaves a lot of space for other textures to be brought forward or for the addition of other sounds that would otherwise compete with a lead vocal to exist in that space- which gives so much playtime from a production standpoint! 
The idea was to create other sounds to express themselves dynamically. I do however, use my own voice for a lot of the sounds on this track- little easter egg moments I suppose!



Can we expect more tracks in this direction from you in the future?

Definitely! I have created four tracks during this little creative experiment that will be released along with this track as a small EP. As for the future, I can imagine myself releasing more instrumental songs that come out of exploring new production ideas.


How would you describe Toronto's Indie Scene?

It's too loud and muddy in most of the smaller venues, and even in some of the more established ones! Otherwise, there is a lot of talent here.


What's your favorite song at the moment?

I keep putting Britney Spears on repeat late at night. One day I want to produce something for a pop artist like her.


Any chance to see you somewhere live on stage?

At the moment, I am currently organizing my own live sets and showcase events! If you are in the Toronto area, there will be many chances to see me in the near future.


What's next for you?

I'm never entirely sure what's next! I know I will always be creating, and I have a whole vault of stuff to release within the next year. I hope to continue to push my creativity and connect with others.

SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist