Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

About the struggles of everyday people: "Hard to find" by Ali George

Ali George

Ali George

... is an extraordinarily talented singer-songwriter and guitarist from Bath, UK. He has supported revered folk acts such as: Martin Simpson, Steve Tilson, Nick Harper, and Rory McLeod. He is known for his intricate percussive fingerstyle guitar technique, his mellow, understated vocals, and his subtle, earthy song writing.
His eclectic writing style encompasses anything from deeply personal love songs to highly imaginative fictional short stories he has set to music. George has made seven albums of original material, and several EP’s. Most of his releases have been added to the British National Library’s permanent collection.



Who is the human behind the artist Ali George and who inspired you to make music?

I’m an agnostic, nature-loving, introvert. I love comedy, Real Ale, literature, and of course - folk music. My first guitar teacher Steve Poole, who taught me when I was around ten or eleven, was the person who first encouraged me to sing while I played. He introduced me to a huge array of amazing music. He was a big inspiration.


Your latest release "Hard to find" sounds fantastic, what was your inspiration?

Ali George, singer songwriter
Thanks! Living through the lockdown certainly inspired the lyrics. The guitar part was very inspired by the way John Martyn played, simultaneously very melodic and percussive.


Recorded in multiple locations in multiple countries, definitely not an everyday situation, isn't it?

It was certainly an odd experience! Luckily, I had previously worked with the producer, Josh Clark on two of my other albums. We have a very good rapport, which made communicating on Zoom while we mixed “Hard to Find” and the rest of the album so much easier!


The Cello part sounds great and gives the song something special, when did you get the idea?

Beth Porter from The Bookshop Band played the cello part. Beth and I have worked together in the past, and it’s always been great! As soon as I heard the early demo mix of the song I knew it needed Beth’s virtuoso magic!


If you take a look back on "Winter Laments", what are the differences concerning your songwriting process to now?

Ali George, Bath
Wow! That’s an old one! Back in those days my writing was much more intuitive (which is something I really miss!). I would write a song a week back then
I edit my songs a lot now. I rewrite the lyrics, change the guitar tunings, and I’m always messing with song structures. It often takes me three or four months to finish a song now.


You are from Bath, how would you describe the Indie scene there?

Most of the great Indie bands I have seen in Bath play in the pubs. The Royal Oak on Lower Bristol Road, and The Bell on Walcott Street are phenomenal music venues!


Who would you most like to collaborate with?

Probably Sam Brookes. Sam is a true artist. He’s a great songwriter and guitarist. His voice is otherworldly. We share a mutual love of John Martyn’s music too.


One of your favorite songs this year was/is ...?

I really like “How it Ends” by TOLEDO at the moment. An absolute belter!


What can we expect from you in the near future?

My next single, “Dreams Within Dreams” is out on December 6th. It’s a very atmospheric song, with a really ambient feel to it. There will be a music video for it too!







Artists of the Week! - The Playlist