Skip to main content

Featured

Caught Between Reality and Reverie: “Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite

“Woman in the Window” by Elizabeth Cuite “Woman in the Window” emerges like a delicate mist, its tendrils weaving through the listener’s senses. In the quietude of indie-folk, Elizabeth Cuite’s artistry blooms, inspired by the shadows of unfulfilled promises and the ache of longing. Each note is a dab of color on a canvas of emotions, and the resulting work is both haunting and exquisite.  The guitar strings resonate like whispered secrets, and Cuite’s voice, clear yet imbued with vulnerability, paints vivid scenes. The musical arrangement moves with delicate precision, honoring the essence of the story. The gentle plucking of the acoustic guitar echoes softly, akin to the sound of steps traversing an old wooden floor. Cuite’s poetic prowess writes tales of missed opportunities, of paths not taken, and of love that lingers like a half-remembered melody. Her words are fragile, yet they carry entire musical universes within.  Elizabeth Cuite blends indie-pop nuances with folk, creatin

Indie Folk Pop at it's best!: "Naked" by Makena Tate

Makena Tate

Makena Tate

Indie folk pop artist Makena Tate crafts songs on her guitar drawing inspiration from Holly Humberstone, Joni Mitchell, and her mentor Kate Wallace. The Santa Barbara native currently attends Berklee College of music where she studies songwriting and performance. 
Makena Tate's captivating lyrics, memorable melodies, and mesmerizing performances guide her audience on an emotional journey of self-reflection to show listeners they aren't alone.

instagram     tiktok     spotify     MakenaTate.com

Who is the human behind Makena Tate and how did you get into music?

Makena Tate is the artist name I use which is my first and middle name. It's the name my longtime music mentor, Kate Wallace, recommended I use because my last name, Shlens, is kind of a mouthful-- Tate rolls off of the tongue a bit easier. 
I got into music at a really young age, the school I went to was very arts focused. I think the first time I was on stage was when I was only five years old. I got my start in musical theatre, but I had always been writing music around my house. Once I picked up the guitar at eight years old though, I began to have a sense of direction. Songwriting gave me an outlet to express my emotions in a really healthy way, and it was fun! I've stuck with it ever since.



"Naked" sounds great, what was your inspiration?

Makena Tate, Singer Songwriter
Thank you so much! Naked is a really special song for me. This song is really vulnerable, and it's one where I've hardly edited the lyrics since sitting down and writing it in a Berklee practice room back in January 2022. My inspiration lyrically has always come from my previously mentioned mentor, Kate Wallace, and her folksy-Joni-inspired-style. 
Kate has ingrained in me a love for lyrics and poetry, which I have tried my best to emulate in my songs. When I brought this song to my producer, Chris Cassriel, over summer, we agreed it deserves minimal production because we wanted to make it emotional and really have the story and vocals at the forefront. 
My musical inspiration recently has been Holly Humberstone and Del Water Gap. We knew we wanted to bring in some simple, but effective electric guitar lines, but also create a solid foundation for the song to land on. I write almost every song on acoustic guitar, so it was important for me to have that be the lead instrument.


How would you describe your creative process and what's the most difficult part to record a song?

That's a good question! I absolutely love the process of creating a song. When I go to write, I always start by playing a few songs I've already written. It can be intimidating to pick up the guitar and have no clue what I want to write about, so I always start by playing songs I've written so I can boost my self esteem a bit. I've found it helps take the pressure off of writing something new. 
From there, I generally just fiddle around and once I have a melody, a lyric, or a chord progression I like, I roll with that. I never put pressure on myself to like what I create though, which I think is super important and also advice I would give to anyone. You're gonna write one song you like for every ten, maybe twenty, so just have fun being creative! 
In terms of the most difficult aspect of song creation, I feel like I've developed a sound that is unique to artists I've heard before, which can be challenging when going to record. I love paying homage to my folk roots, but I also love the modern sound of artists like The 1975, so it can sometimes be challenging trying to figure out what direction to take a song I've written in. I'd say that's the hardest part, but that's what I love about working with Chris! He has great ideas, and it's been a great learning experience for both of us creating these soundscapes and finding ways to transform a song into something new while staying true to who I am as an artist.


If you could select an extraordinary location to play live, where would it take place?

Aside from music, I love traveling, so the first place that comes to mind would be somewhere like the Colosseum in Rome!


What's in your opinion the most impressive/expressive song this year?

Makena Tate, Berklee
I'm always looking for new music, new artists, and music that makes me feel something. There are two artists I admire who both released albums this year. Both Lizzy McAlpine (Five Seconds Flat) and Laura Elliot (People Pleaser) created projects I am deeply in awe of. 
They both have deeply honest and compelling songwriting that is so effective. Laura's voice is so unique and mesmerizing to listen to as well-- her tone has this effortless beauty about it that I haven't heard before which draws me in. 
Picking a singular song is so hard for me, I'm way too indecisive for that, but I'd have to say that these two albums impressed me the most this year.



... and of course what’s next for you?

I recorded a few songs this summer with Chris, and we're going to be working on more in the new year. I have my next release planned for December 16, which I'm really excited about! This next song has an alternative pop feel, and it's more upbeat than Naked, which I think people will really latch on to. 
Ross Hodgkinson played drums on my next two tracks I'll be releasing, and he did the perfect job of capturing the feel I wanted. He gave Chris and me a sense of direction in this next song which I can't thank him enough for. 
I also have a few shows lined up from now through January which I'm looking forward to! I'm always looking for more opportunities to share my music and connect with people because I really aim to provide a shoulder to lean on with my music for anyone who is going through a tough time or looking for someone to relate to. 
I'm feeling good about the path I'm on, and I can't wait for everyone to hear all this new music I'll be releasing over the next few months!


Artists of the Week! - The Playlist