Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

Inspired by a short story of Edgar Allen Poe: "The red death" by C0ntrary

C0ntrary

When he’s not working, creating music or writing about counter-counter culture (CCC), C0ntrary enjoys spending quality time with his loving family. He’s a Nebraska born Millennial who benefits greatly from the internet age, considering how landlocked the state is. He and his family attends and even leads within the local Lutheran church (LCMS) where their faith is solidly grounded in OG Protestant theology. In general, he likes to work hard and play even harder. Some of his hobbies include studying the Bible, watching football, gardening, DIY stuff like brewing beer, as well as hiking, camping, and more.
Around 2009, he was the founder and drummer in his first band Vitosus that recorded an album with Grammy nominated producer Tom Tatman (Stone Sour) during the Occupy Wall Street movement. It was during this time when he really began to realize how rock music is counterculture.


Who is the "human" behind the artist "C0ntrary"?

The "human" behind C0ntrary is Kevin Walrath, live and studio drummer in rock bands for over a decade now. Having written songs and lyrics for my bands previously and having worked with Grammy nominated producer Tom Tatman (Stone Sour) I've always felt the urge to try going solo. Another fun fact about me: I played semi-pro arena football for a season, which was pretty cool for what it was.


How did you get into music, what were your first steps?

My dad played guitar as I was growing up, and I wanted to be just like him. I think I was in middle school when my parents bought me a guitar and I tried to learn, but I sucked and it was hard for me to get into it. 
They later noticed how I always pounded on tables to the drums of songs they'd be listening to, and they bought me my first drumset my freshman year of high school. Safe to say, I haven't looked back since!


"The red death" sounds extraordinary and great, what's the story behind the song, what was your inspiration?

The song - and really my whole persona/theme - is inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's short story 'The Masque of the Red Death'. The story is so dark with so much room for interpretation and symbolism, I just fell in love with the idea. 
As an artist, specifically a solo artist, I prefer controversial and challenging themes over that of most popular music today. Because life's just crazy like that, and I don't believe we should shy away from those aspects of life.


When did you recognize your songwriting talent and how would you describe your creative process?

Well in my first rock band Vitosus that I co-founded with a buddy of mine who was the guitarist, we had all of our instrumentalists but went through several singers before we finally landed our guy. In the meantime, we knew that we needed to start building our catalogue of songs. So I tried my hand at the songwriting myself and to my surprise, people loved what we put out in that band. I think I wrote the lyrics to all but one song during that stretch. 
Being a drummer first and foremost, it all starts with the beat. Being the intellectual that I am, I have a short list of general topics or themes on hand that I can look to once I have a great beat in place and catching a vibe from it that might match a thought I have from said list.


If you could choose one artist or producer for a collaboration, who would it be?

I'm open to collaboration in general, but don't really seek it out. I'm a lone wolf type in a way, but I do work well with others. Dream scenario for collaboration though would probably be grandson or Tom Macdonald. The latter is actually a big inspiration for me going solo. 
He's more of a rapper, and even though I don't agree with everything in his music, I just love his DIY approach to everything in his career, and that he goes controversial to spark discussion that's much needed in my opinion. Aside from that, I do have a tier on my Patreon where a Patron can commission a song from me. I haven't had any takers yet, but I think it'd be fun to work with someone who maybe doesn't have musical abilities, but has a great idea for a song or theme in their mind. And hopefully I could help manifest that for them!


Any chance to see you somewhere live on stage?

I haven't really planned on taking this thing live yet, but I do have a whole stage show planned in my mind anyway! I really just wanted to get music out there online, and see if people would pick up on it. I'm sure that when I do go live, I'll start with one of the venues I'm most familiar with in Omaha and go from there. I'll probably try to livestream it too, since my presence will have been mostly online leading up to that point.


What's next for you?

Keep writing and releasing new music! I plan on trying to release 1-2 singles per quarter until I build up a decent catalogue of songs. I'll probably enlist some help from my Patrons on deciding which songs make the cut for an album. I'd really like to have an album pressed before I take this thing live. But we'll just have to see!

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist