Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

The embodiment of a dark and unsettling aura: "Second try theme" by Low Monroe

Low Monroe

Low Monroe

23 year old Low Monroe residing from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, premiers his debuting track, out today (25/11) 'Second Try Theme'. Taking inspiration from various 50s noir charater tropes, of following the crook and watching their demise unfold. Lyrically inspired by such films as Rear Window (1954) and Sweet Smell of Success (1957). 
Low/Mark felt the character's presence and motive of being on the run with a bullseye on his back, completely imboding the cold but panicked alter ego through his deep, and sporadic vocal performance. Instrumentally, the track incapsulates this dark, and unsettling aura, that grips around the listener in an perplexing manner.


Who is the ‘human’ behind ‘Low Monroe’ and how did you get into music?

The question of who the human is behind Low Monroe definitely falls open for interpretation. However, the man behind the scenes is myself, Mark Sergi. I’m a 23 year old creative, born and living in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The Low Monroe alter ego is an extension and enabler of the art I make.
I’ve always had a fascination with music since a young age. With my grandparents showcasing their love for Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison, and shamefully enjoying corny/trash pop of the 2000s that was shoved in my face by relatives. I couldn’t escape the noise. In early primary school I wanted to learn an instrument and begged my mum to enrol me in the lessons that the school was offering. I’d only last a few weeks and quit because I struggled to focus nor grip any knowledge. 
I embarked upon many other, embarrassing, attempts of pursuing music and just gave up right before my adolescence. It only arose in 2016 that I began to learn piano, but how I wanted, at my pace and on my terms. I had some super helpful people that were higher ups among the school I was in at the time, they offered support and unlimited studio time to play piano. Developing my ear, my style and my taste occurred here and really set the foundation for the future.


"Second try theme" sounds great, somewhere between New Order and Spandau Ballet, I'd say, what were your influences, your inspiration?

Low Monroe, Artist
Thank you so much. There’s definitely a big homage for New Order and Joy Division. During the time of writing ‘Second Try Theme’ I was listening to a lot of early New Order, specifically their first album ‘Movement’. Though they were picking them selves up from the tragedy that was Ian Curtis’ death, you feel him lingering upon this record. An interesting transitional blend between the same band pushing and pulling for something new but riding the success of the best post punk act to exist. I’d say my favourite song on the album would be ‘Senses’. It’s almost a passing of the torch for what’s to come with their hits like ‘Blue Monday’ and ‘Age of Consent’. ‘Movement’ really inspired me, atmospherically and sonically.I love a bit of Spandau Ballet and respect your view of the similarities though it wasn’t entirely intentional. I love the 80s and I guess that’s where my sound can definitely stumble into. 
I was also watching a lot of Old Hollywood films such as ‘Rear Window’, ‘Sweet Smell of Success’, ‘The Apartment’ and many more that had grippingly dark but beautiful big band orchestral pieces. The subtle nods can be heard throughout the second half of the song. Lyrically, it was quite literally my second try at song writing and I immediately visualised a character throughout this process. Channeling a desperate individual on the run reflecting a lot of the noir films I was indulging at the time. As the noir trope battles following the villain and sympathising for said villain only to see their demise unfold like a slow burning car crash. I just knew this would be the direction to follow through.


How would you describe your creative process and what's in your opinion the hardest part to finish a song?

My creative process is rather persistent for the most part. I spend whatever free time I’ve obtained to work on my art and struggle to give myself breaks. With no off switch in sight, I often spend copious amounts of hours in front of my keyboard or blowing a lung out on sax till I find something. Excruciating, I know, but I always find something when I’m relentless and it keeps me hungry. On the other hand when I’m minding my own business, driving, strolling, doing anything unrelated to music, ideas emerge and I transcribe and build from there. I believe finding the compliment of drive and ease is my ideal process. Till then, I’ll continue to push.
Critically speaking, the hardest part of finishing a song for myself is fitting in vocally. I wouldn’t deem myself as a good lyricist or singer but I’ve evolved and developed a way to counter this speed bump. 
Conceptually speaking, I like to surround myself with new and old experiences, evoking concepts and ideas within. Many times, just to explore or observe or anything that gets me out of my hermit state, often leaves me with more than I had, making writing more fluidly.


Being an Indie Artist in Melbourne is ...?

Low Monroe, Melbourne
I wouldn’t exactly know what it feels like at this very point in time. I feel pretty disassociated from the music scene in Melbourne and struggle to relate nor resonate with some of the art that is on display. I’ve been a lot more observant rather than wedging myself into the community. 
I don’t see this as a negative nor pity myself for feeling out of place, rather it inspires me to work harder and set an example for people that don’t wish to conform to fitting in musically. I would love for people to make what is true to themselvse, not pieces that are expected or easily digestible in the public eye. 
That being said there are a handful of amazing acts in Melbourne that are worth shouting out… Cong Josie & The Crimes - One of the best and most unique set of performers in the state. In fact, I was incredibly influenced and inspired by them to create the Low Monroe project. 
The Sistine Guns - I had the pleasure of working with these guys prior to this band and their unapologetic punk prowess is something to marvel at.


What do you think, which artist leads you most to that kind of music you are making today?

It’s a tricky question because I have plenty admiration for artist across the decades. It is hard to be specific but a big and monumental template that inspires myself to this day, is the career of David Bowie. 
Though musically it isn’t anything similar, my goals to be constantly evolving and striving for more is in big respect towards what that man did over a 50 year race. I only really got into Bowie over the last few years through my friends, but after that, the man, his way of life, his art, and work ethic really struck a chord with me. He is one of the many deceased stars that I would love to have met and converse with. 
Bar that, obviously the praise I mentioned earlier for New Order and Joy Division still stands upon this question. I really fell in love with late 70s to early 80s Post Punk and is quite prominent across my upcoming releases. 
I know I seem like I possess the catalog of an old dad (which I enjoy and is fine) but one current artist to mention as well would be Sydney’s own Kirin J Callinan. Arguably alike to Bowie, I’m inspired by Kirin and his push for change and just how much he is himself in all aspects of his being. Unlike Bowie, I met the man, shook his hand and cried a little afterwards.


What song of the 80s you can't listen to anymore, although it was a great one?

Low Monroe, 80s meets 50s
Oh my, this is a question that is so tough and kind of applicable at the minute. I have definitely thrashed my Spotify to be flooded with 80s goodness but god there’s a lot of trash too… I’m not gonna go for a usual suspect like ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’ by Mr Astley (I actually think it’s a bop and a half to be very frank).
However, I think everyone can agree that though they were and are phenomenal, they’ve been overplayed to the brim across the last few years. I’m of course talking about Queen. I enjoy their music thoroughly but since the biopic came out, I can’t dodge the thousands of outlets rinsing Bohemian Rhapsody. 
I actually have a tale from a few years ago when my friends and I were scoping out a venue to play at. We went on a Friday or Saturday night to the premise and were immediately distinct as we didn’t own Harley Davidson bikes. We approached the front door and started to hear various frequencies that you’d normally hear at a gig but then bam! Bohemian Rhapsody was being performed, but not only that, it was a queen cover band… Everybody was rampant as the movie had only been out for a few months but it was such a strange scene… The guys and I had no idea what we were getting into and felt disturbed for some reason… Again, I like queen but get out of my earholes?


... and last but not least, what can we expect from you in the near future?

Expect a lot of visual set pieces and plenty more music that’ll tango with each other in the coming months. I’m working closely with my creative director, Cal Foster, to create graphically immersive experiences that’ll enhances the listening journey. Consistency and effort is what I’m striving for. A lot of planning has built to these days of Low Monroe and I’m only beginning.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist