Skip to main content

Featured

The Fear of Omnipresent Observation: ‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry

‘The Crawling Eye’ by The Silence Industry On this very Friday, we whisk you away into the sublime yet shadow-laden realm of Goth Rock, where the heart of Post-Punk beats incessantly. The Silence Industry has recently set a benchmark with ‘The Crawling Eye’ that other artists will find difficult to surpass in the foreseeable future. Endowed with an impressive back catalog,  The Silence Industry approaches a topic of grave seriousness in their latest release. The track addresses omnipresent surveillance, shedding light on its profound implications as well as the personal apprehensions it evokes.   Musically, Graham Jackson creates a scene of distressing perfection, where elements of Death-Rock leave us breathless and the fear of omnipresent observation becomes palpable. Driven by a dark Post-Punk aura, Graham rises with a performance at the microphone that recalls memories of Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke). The artist not only succeeds in maintaining the tension for nearly seven minutes b

The tension of feeling in between this and that: "Float" by John Joseph

John Joseph

John Joseph

... is a musician and songwriter from Cedar Grove, New Jersey. He plays alongside the very talented Harry Smith (drums) and Gabriel Paiano (bass), all of whom met while earning their diplomas at The New School of Jazz and Contemporary Music. 
Their influences include Bob Dylan, Pavement, Regina Spektor, and anyone who can put fine lyrics to a fashionable tune. The debut single Float foreshadows the upcoming full length record Sunday, set to come out in the spring of 2023. The band is based out of New York City.


Who is/are John Joseph and what were your first steps into music?

I am a musician and songwriter from Cedar Grove, New Jersey. My first steps into music were piano lessons at the age of 8, then eventually guitar when I turned 11. Ever since I was very young I always knew I wanted to be a musician, specifically a guitar player, so as soon as I had the opportunity I jumped at it.


Your new release "Float" sounds impressive and timeless, what's the story behind the song, what was your inspiration?

JJ with friends
As far as the song Float, I was in a place where I felt uncertain about a lot of different things happening in my life and wanted to write about the tension of feeling in between this and that, now and then, etc. 
For this track I was consciously trying to write something fairly upbeat that had sort of a classic indie sound, and I wasn't very concerned with making something brand new, just something I would have fun playing and people would (hopefully) enjoy.




What's in your opinion the hardest part to finish a song?

When I'm writing, the hardest part for me is always the lyrics. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's the most difficult, but it's definitely the thing I spend the most time trying to get right. 
Some bits will come very quickly, then there is an immediate pressure in the next verse or chorus or whatever to write something that I feel holds up to the original idea that grabbed me in the first place. That being said, lyrics are also the part of songwriting I find most rewarding.


What can our readers and listeners expect from your upcoming album "Sunday"?

With the album Sunday you can expect solid New York City indie rock and roll songs. I was more or less trying to teach myself how to become a competent songwriter in a genre that I love, and these tracks are the result of that. 
They were all written when I was in college which feels like a long time ago now, and to me it is a scrapbook of those memories.


Any chance to see you somewhere live on stage?

JJ in the studio
Coming up we are playing at Hart Bar in Bushwick (11/19,) Bar Freda in Ridgewood (11/26,) and Rockwood Music Hall in Manhattan (12/10.) All of our dates are always posted on my Instagram @johnjosephisonline


You are from New Jersey, how would you describe the music scene there?

Although I am from New Jersey, we pretty much only play in New York City. I don't know a whole lot about the scene here but I would definitely love to book some more gigs in my home state.


The Year is nearly over, who was the most impressive artist for you?

This year I've probably been listening to Alex G more than almost anyone else. I really like his new album a lot and I admire how he makes music that feels so personal both sonically and lyrically.


What's next for you?

Next would be the release of the full album, probably in early spring, and a small tour to support it. Then from there, finish a couple more songs and start making our second record. I have about six or seven songs written that I'm happy with, and they reach a little farther stylistically than some of the material we have now so I'm excited to get started on bringing them to light.



Photo credits: Max Hanuschak

SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist