Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

The mature way of letting all out: "Cherry on top" by Ainsley Costello

Ainsley Costello

Ainsley Costello

... is an 18-year-old singer, songwriter, and performer. Based in Nashville but originally from Seattle, WA., Ainsley began performing at the age of 7 and by the time she was 14 she could hold down a 3-hour set with a full band of adult musicians. With unaired performances on American Idol and the Voice at just 13, she’s been chasing music for almost 10 years already. 
With 150 shows in 15 states under her belt and 24 released singles, Ainsley is determined to build a career that stands the test of time. Dig into Ainsley’s catalog (available on all streaming platforms) and you’ll find a multitude of influences and a heartfelt, personal approach to lyricism that translates into a spheric, easily digestible and heartwarming listening experience.
In 2022 Ainsley won the ISSA (International Singer Songwriter Association) Young Adult Artist of the Year and was nominated for a Josie Music Award for Best Female Music Video of the Year for her single “Little Sister.”


Who is the "human" behind the artist Ainsley Costello and how did you get into music?

I like to think the human behind Ainsley Costello is an energetic and outgoing, 18-year-old fast talking little blonde chick who loves glitter, musical theatre, reading, and of course, singing and writing songs about my life! I fangirl hardcore over my own idols and inspirations, and get HEAVILY attached to fictional characters and tend to write songs about them. 
I got into music at a really young age because my dad is also a musician, so I picked up my love of music from him. I have super vivid memories of going to see my dad’s bands perform when I was little and falling in love with the performances I would see of my favorite artists and TV and knowing that I wanted to do that. I started playing guitar and piano when I was seven, started writing songs when I was twelve, and have just never stopped!


"Cherry on top" is catchy Pop Punk at its best, what was your inspiration?

I’m glad you like “Cherry on Top”! This is a really cathartic song for me. I wrote it one day by myself on a ukulele when I was home alone, and the song just fell out of me. I’ve never been through a romantic relationship break up, but I’ve had other types of relationships break up in my life and this song is all about letting that anger about the situation out in an emotionally mature way. When I was writing this song, I was really hurt about a situation I’d just gone through, and I tried to channel it all into this song, because I knew exploding at the situation/people who caused the whole thing wouldn’t serve any purpose. 
But I still needed to express my anger in a way that would be relieving for me, and to put everything I didn’t get the chance to say out loud in this song for my own sanity. So, this is my angry revenge for sure.


18 years old and 24 releases, it seems that you have a lot to tell, how would you describe your creative process?

Ainsley Costello, singer-songwriter
I would describe my creative process as, as it's core, just me communicating and trying to process the world around me. At any given moment I feel like there are 100 things I want to write a song about, so songwriting for me is really just my way of telling you how I feel and wanting to let you know that it’s okay if you feel those things too. As for the actual act of creating, I thrive off having a good hook and working through the song backwards from there. I always feel like a kid on Christmas whenever I think of a good hook, it’s so exciting each time.


What three songs would you recommend to a listener who has never heard your music before?

The first three songs I would recommend to a listener who has never heard my music before would be “Little Sister”, “Someone’s Someone”, and “Cherry on Top”. These three give you a really good glimpse into who I am as a person, the things I stand for/struggle with, and they show you how I like to articulate ideas as a songwriter.


We live in a Social Media Era, how important are Facebook & Co for yourself and what's your favorite channel?

Social media is so important for every artist these days, so making sure that I utilize each platform is always super high on my list of to-dos. I would say my favorite platform is Twitter because it’s really fun to scroll through each day and read everyone’s one liners about what they’re going through. 
I try to show a bit more of my humor on Twitter than I do on the other platforms and am able to have a bit more fun with it.


You have played a lot of shows and released a lot of songs, what do you prefer ... stage or studio?

Ainsley Costello, female artist
That’s so hard! They both have their perks. Overall, I would say the stage because that’s the place where the culmination of everything artists work for is put on display. You get to show off songs you’re proud of, express yourself through your singing and instrument playing, and see how your songs resonate with other people. Plus, the element of just being in a communal space experiencing music with other people and feeding off each other’s energies is something I get excited for at every show I do. But I do love the studio because it’s a great place to test yourself and push yourself to the limits of what you can do.


If you could select an extraordinary location for a show where would it take place?

I love this, someone else just asked me this today. I’m originally for the PNW, specifically Seattle, but I never got to see a show at the Gorge Amphitheatre (which is a musical and cultural staple up there) and I’m still upset about it. So, I would probably pick the Gorge to play a show at to make my inner Washingtonian heart happy.


....and of course what’s next for you?

After “Cherry on Top” which comes out on 12/14, I’m going to be performing on ‘Today in Nashville’ on NBC on January 9th which I am infinitely hyped about. I’m really excited to perform “Cherry on Top” with my full band and completely rock out to it. After that I’m heading back in the studio to create more music for next year!



Official Music Video Release for “Cherry on Top” : 1/1/2023
Live Performance "Today in Nashville" (FULL BAND) on WSMV/NBC 4: 1/9/2023 2PM(CT)

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist