Skip to main content

Featured

Behind the Hedges: ‘Life in the Burbs’ by The Dream Chasers

‘Life in the Burbs’ by The Dream Chasers With ‘Life in the Burbs,’ Bridgette and Peter (aka The Dream Chasers) unfold the full range of their artistic creation. They take us on a journey through the suburbs, which includes not only the visible hedges and houses but also the hidden longings and dreams of their inhabitants. With a mix of melancholic reflection and life-affirming euphoria, they paint a multi-layered portrait. The musical accompaniment is as diverse as the emotions of the residents. From indie pop melodies that capture the quiet of a Sunday morning to powerful indie rock chords that reveal the hidden wildness behind the manicured facades, The Dream Chasers offer a soundtrack that both soothes and challenges the listener. The catchy riff in ‘Life in the Burbs’ acts as a musical guide that immediately captivates the listeners and takes them on an acoustic journey through the complex emotions of suburban life. It is the artistry with which this riff captures the essence

...To be open with ourselves before walking away from a relationship: "Sabotage" by Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones

To quote Jordan “I just want to spread love with my music”. Jordan Jones has toured Canada multiple times with previous projects over the last 10 years. He’s both fronted a band as lead vocalist and took on the role as lead guitarist in two separate projects. With that experience he is ready to share himself completely. Jordan’s influences range from pop, R&B, soul, and rock. His diversity is a welcomed fresh approach to pop music.


How would you describe the "human" behind the artist Jordan Jones?

I am someone that has struggled with showing up as myself because of the fears of judgement. I grew up as a Jehovah’s Witness and felt like I couldn’t really be vulnerable. I’ve been working on breaking down those childhood stories I tell myself. Now I’m finally at the point in my life where I feel comfortable enough to show how uncomfortable I was to show up as me. I laugh, I cry, I get scared, I’m courageous, and I love. 
I live in the suburbs with my partner, her daughter, and our dog and cat. I’m learning to be a good step father and learning how to show up as the best version of me in every moment. My purpose is to show up as love everyday for everyone that needs it, including myself.


"Sabotage" is an amazing Pop tune, how much "Jordan Jones" did you pack into it?

Thank you, I appreciate that. I packed all of me into Sabotage. The story of Sabotage are the feelings I was going through at the 2 year mark in my current relationship. We had been struggling with communicating and we were questioning if we were going to work for the long term. But that is what inspired the song. 
What I put into the song were the fears I have of judgment from my family because I’m not a Jehovah’s Witness. The walls and stories I’ve built up because of those fears. Being scared of what to say and how to say it. The feelings of wanting to walk away instead of showing as my courageous self.


What was the hardest part concerning the recording of the song?

I think the hardest part of any session is making sure we capture the emotions that the story is trying to tell. With Sabotage specifically I was an emotional wreck when I went in and even when my team and I were breaking down the song I could hold back my tears. The hardest part about recording Sabotage was just making sure my message came across clearly. The message that we need to be really be open with ourselves before walking away from a relationship.

When do you decide that a song is ready for a release?

The short answer, when it feels right. I try not to overthink the final mix honestly. I work with a really good team at Velveteen Music so it makes the collective decision to let the song go easier when its ready. I’ve learned the hard lesson that perfection is unattainable by not putting music at all over the years. Now if I feel if we get the track to even 80% I’m typically ready to let it go and move on to the next song.


Right now, in this second, what are your "All time top 3 Songs"?

Damn! With out overthink my all time top 3 are… 
Grinnin’ In Your Face by Son House, 
Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles, and 
Blowin’ in the Wind by Bob Dylan


You are from Edmonton, how would you describe the Indie scene there, especially for your genre?

The indie scene is thriving hear. There is so many great artists in this town. We have a great hardcore, folk and country scene but when it comes to pop music we’re still growing. The pop artist we do have are amazing and really starting to put Edmonton on the map.


Any chance to see you somewhere live on stage?

This year is I’m putting together a few mini Canadian tours together. If you follow my socials or sign up for my newsletter through my website I’ll be keeping everyone up to date as shows get booked! I’m really excited to connect with fans this year.


What are your plans for 2023?

I’m in the studio all year pushing singles again. Working on putting the funds together to drop an EP. I’ve got an acoustic version of Sabotage coming. Just playing shows, create more music, and connect with other artists. I’d love to collab with other artists this year and just create a solid community.



Photos by Fontaine Lewis

SUNSAY - "Enough Is Enough"

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist