Skip to main content

Featured

From Vintage Tapes to Modern Waves: SFMD’s ‘Diving Board’ Revives the '80s!

“Diving Board” by SFMD Emerging from the vibrant heart of Liège , a band has surfaced, encapsulating the quintessence of a nostalgic epoch with a contemporary flourish. SFMD, an illustrious Belgian collective hailing from the Francophone sector, has been meticulously sculpting a distinct niche within the musical cosmos, harmonizing an eclectic fusion of Synthwave and pop elements. Incepted in the twilight of the 2000s, SFMD has unveiled two auditory compilations that have garnered acclamation from aficionados within Belgium and the international expanse. The ensemble’s constituents are progenies of the 1980s,  a decade enshrined within their sonic creations. Their oeuvre is a homage to the emblematic resonances, harmonies, and visual artistry of their formative years. Esteemed bands such as Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, coupled with virtuosos like David Bowie and Giorgio Moroder, have indelibly influenced their artistic odyssey.   SFMD’s most recent oeuvre, “Diving Board,” un

A mantra and a prayer to Lord Ganesha: "Victory: Vakratunda" by Sarves Thiru

Sarves Thiru

Sarves Thiru

... is a singer and composer based in London with a goal to spread peace, healing and joy through her music. She is trained in Carnatic music and uses this classical form alongside other world music to create beautiful devotional songs and mantras.
Sarves's passion for meditation and healing combined with her love for music serves as an inspiration for the sacred songs she creates.

facebook     soundcloud     bandcamp     spotify     instagram


How would you describe the human behind the artist Sarves Thiru?

Passionate and puts her heart into everything she does, enjoys the little things in life like sipping a cup of masala chai and learning something new, generally quiet but can talk a lot around people who share the same questions, Reliable.


What were your first steps in music?

When I was little, I first learnt devotional songs and chants (mantras) from my mother and our local community. My formal music training started when I was 8 year old, when I started learning Karnatik vocal which I continued over time, intermittently due to relocation etc. I also learnt the veena and piano for a while. My first recording was at the local Radio station in Malaysia (RTM) when I was a teenager for a tamil programme called 'Rising artists'.


"Victory: Vakratunda" creates an amazing atmosphere, what's the story behind, what was your inspiration?

Sarves Thiru, London
This is a mantra that I personally recite daily and it is also a prayer to Lord Ganesha, for the removal of obstacles. Life seems to go at a fast pace and we just need to just step back or slow down sometimes. I want to transport the listeners to a place where they can feel relaxed, at peace and that everything is ok and will be ok when they listen to this song.


How would you describe your creative process?

I find there is no on or off button, ideas come and go when I don't expect it. I am glad I started logging them so I can share them with the world. Nature is my biggest guide so far.


If you could choose an artist for a collaboration, who would it be?

Firstly, I am fortunate that I have worked with some amazing artists. I would love to work with many, and I mean many. The ones that come to mind are A R Rahman, Ed Sheeran, Shankar Mahadevan, other mantra artists...i know you only asked for one!


Born and raised in Malaysia, based in London, how did that happen?

I came to London to complete my Accountancy exams. One thing led to another and I now live here with my family. It is a great city.


What are your plans for 2023?

I am working on more tracks and I plan to release my first album this year.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist