Skip to main content

Featured

NENE'S BUTLER INDIE TOP 40 - BEST OF INDIE! - 20.Apr.24

Nene's Butler Indie Top 40   1  At The Bottom - Carlos Ucedda   2  Naked Rabbit - Paul Dill   3  Fourteen Days - Acoustic - Stylusboy   4  The Chosen Few - Me & Melancholy   5  Firenight - Moon and Aries   6  Big Time - Rogue FX, Mayah Camara   7  Stranger - Close to Monday   8  2Paradise - My Friend The Chimpanzee   9  Feral Feeling - Modal Split 10  Schneeregen - Ines Wurst 11  Orange and Gray - S.J. Armstrong 12  Trouble - Grant Evans 13  The Time Is Now - John Garrison 14  California - Luke Tangerine, Matthew Mirliani 15  Geistertanz - Sebastian Sylla 16  Always/Never - Kallai NEW 17  Devenu Deux - Jagas NEW 18  Come to the Night - The Cöln NEW 19  Nervous Tendencies - Violetta 20  graublau - SCHRAMM 21  I've Loved You A Long Time - Matt Darin 22  Guillotine - Drella NEW 23  Black Wig - Ren Harvieu 24  Iron Eagle - CODE 150 NEW 25  Shit Show - Bonheur 26  Antystar - AT-XYA, James K, Enrico Demuro NEW 27  Wherever You Go - teté 28  You Don't Know Me - Cat Serrano NEW

Influenced by 80s Alternative Music: "Reptile Queen" by Keeper of the Athanor

Keeper of the Athanor

Keeper of the Athanor

With a passion for somber and eerie themes, solo artist Keeper of the Athanor uses electronic instruments and voice to create a haunting, evocative sound. Inspired by their love for the uncanny in art, music and literature, Keeper of the Athanor has developed a unique style that is both dark and spellbinding.


How would you describe the "human" behind the artist Keeper of the Athanor?

For as long as I can remember, I've always liked making things. Be it music, painting or crafting objects, I have always felt the need to translate ideas into creations. Being in my late forties as I publish this first album, I guess I'm a late bloomer.


"Reptile Queen" sounds amazing and reminds me a bit of Depeche Mode's "Songs of faith and devotion" era, what's the story behind the song, who or what was your inspiration?

Thank you! At the time I wrote the song, I was revisiting 80s alternative music, which I think is one of the influences of this album in general. The character just came to me while I was writing lyrics to music. The song wasn't originally written for the album. I did a first version of it a couple of years ago and, as the story of "Keeper of the Athanor" unravelled, I thought the Reptile Queen may well be one of the keeper's regular visitors. I recorded a new version for the album and it sounds like it was meant to be.


The Song is also part of your debut album, what three songs would you recommend to our readers who have never listened to you before?

Keeper of the Athanor, Album
I would say that "At the Gates", "Those Damn Night Visitors" and "Decay" provide a shortcut to the story the album tells. They are nestled amongst instrumental tracks which, for me, convey just as much emotion, even without words.


If you could select an extraordinary location for a gig, where would it take place?

The Catacombs in Paris!


What is/was in your opinion the last big "turning point" in music?

It is very subjective. Music is always shifting and we might not be able to recognise a defining moment in the making. A clear harbinger is usually the outrage of the establishment. When was the last time that happened?


Do you remember your first ever self written song?

Yes, it was called "Trantor", after the capital planet of the galactic empire in Isaac Asimov's foundation series.


... and finally, what can we expect from you in the near future?

I started to work on my future project. I'm looking for new sounds while maintaining the creative process and instruments used on "Keeper of the Athanor".

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist