Skip to main content

Featured

Electro-Pop’s Poet of Pain: Me & Melancholy Releases ‘Tears In The Rain’

‘Tears In The Rain’  by  Me & Melancholy Whenever there’s a new release from Me & Melancholy , it fills us with anticipation. This time, the artist paints a compelling portrait of human vulnerability and the complexity of interpersonal relationships.  ‘Tears In The Rain’ succeeds in capturing the essence of ephemeral beauty and the pain of the inevitable, expressing it through music. The dynamics of estrangement, articulated in the lines ‘I’m not able to reach you ’ and ‘ the more I try, the further I push you away ’, reflect a tragic irony. It feels like a dance of approach and withdrawal, prompting listeners to contemplate the paradoxes that often occur in our most intimate relationships.  The artist’s signature melancholic tone conveys a plea for acceptance and an attempt to bridge the gap created by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Musically, Peter Ehrling navigates familiar territory, once again leveraging it to his advantage by capturing the emotional depth.   ‘Tears

The Artist behind "The Anchor": Not in your circle

Not in your circle

Not in your circle

...is a French independent music producer based in Bordeaux. Influenced by Radiohead, Mark Hollis, repetitive music (Steve Reich) and alternative music (These new puritans). He's a former classic flutist, who recorded a full album named "a hidden sun" which will be released in May
Now we have had the chance to talk with him about the album, his creative process and some other things. Take a listen and read the interview!



Who is the artist behind "Not in your circle" and is there a story behind the stage name?

Hi! Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to talk about my music. My name is Jérémie, I'm 40 years old and I live in Bordeaux (France). At a particular moment of my life, I was tired of feeling blocked in a single professional path to constantly undergo the desire of others and their will to systematically want to control my own choices. I no longer wanted to be in the circle of others but to find my own. Hence the name.


What were your first steps in music or how did you get into music?

Not in your circle, France
My relationship to music is old since my father is a professional violinist, as well as my brother. My mother practiced the cello. So, I naturally started classical music in the conservatory by practicing the transverse flute from the age of 7 to my 18 years. 
Afterwards I studied medicine and I gave up music. But I was always frustrated not to be able to compose, create...During these last 20 years I felt everyday how I missed it and made me unhappy.


Your music has an amazing psychedelic touch and I really love this Lofi-Alternative mood as well, how would you describe your songwriting process and where do you take your inspiration from?

The album will undoubtedly seem very heterogeneous to you and reflects well the means of composition. The most common songs were composed over several months and are very centered on the guitar line. I was looking for a simple line to which I could associate dissonances that we can hear especially at the end of "Disappear". I had the "Not Alone" riff for at least 15 years that I kept playing on a loop without succeeding in going any further. The other more classical or ambient compositions appeared more spontaneously, often improvising on the flute. Moreover "D (Outro)" is an improvisation in D mode with a single flute recording take...
I am also very influenced by These New Puritans and Steve Reich for the repetitive music that I could put forward in some titles with the vibraphone ("Don't Look At Me" and Tha Anchor"). Regarding the lyrics, it must be clear that they are dark with often a touch of hope at the end titles and are all globally dedicated to my wife and my two daughters who are my pillars...


I read that your album will be released in May, what can we expect from it?

Not in your circle, new album
As said before, this is an album that I can't put in a single category because it contains very usual songs influenced by Radiohead, Mark Hollis, and alternative rock in general. But also more experimental pieces very influenced by classical music from the beginning of the 20th century and then repetitive music. There are therefore classical and electric guitars, flute, clarinet, piano, vibraphone but also synthesizers which allow in the most rocky pieces to soften the titles by distant layers. 
It will not necessarily be necessary to seek a precise structure for the pieces. I'm still trying to get the listener lost in a kind of journey. That's why I wanted a complete album to listen to from start to finish because everything has one meaning.


Composed, arranged, performed and recorded by yourself, what's the most difficult part of "being creative" for you?

This is clearly the recording and mixing part. I have no training as a sound engineer and I did everything alone. I owe a lot to Alexis Bardinet from Globe Audio Mastering who guided me and did a great mastering job. But I think the mixing was very delicate and it shows. I am aware of it. It's very Lofi. But at the same time it represents well what I am: imperfect....


The last time an artist really surprised you was ...?

I recently discovered the album "The Newton Plum" from the group Bed.... It had been a long time since I had been so absorbed by an album. Otherwise I am fascinated by the group Atsuko Chiba who recently released an album "Water, it fells like it's growing" which in my opinion is a masterpiece.


Are there other topics you are interested in besides music?

Yes of course. I am a doctor and I really appreciate my relationship with my patients. I write a bit of poetry and I just finished a short story. I also like surfing... But above all I like being with my wife and my children.


... and finally, what's next for you?

Great question. I don't want to rush. The production of this album alone exhausted me but I have several titles in the process of being composed. Maybe in 6 months or 1 year... I don't know yet if I'll be in the studio. 
I don't have a label so it's complicated financially. I'll see... Thank you for highlighting my musical work. It's nice to feel that some people are sensitive to the creation of others. It also gives meaning to all this time spent wanting to express what is difficult to say other than through artistic expression.

Artists of the Week! - The Playlist